Beavel

Y510p Excessive Battery Drain

I don't use my laptop daily and have noticed excessive battery drain between uses. For example, it was fully charged on Tuesday and when booted it today (Sunday) 5 days later the battery was down to 66%. I understand that the battery will drain some, but that seems like a lot for 5 days. It is Windows 8.1 so I have followed instructions on how to disable the Fast boot to make sure it does a full shutdown. Not sure if there is a way to verify that. Has anybody else experienced this? Do I need to get serviced under warranty? What else should I look at that might be draining battery when off?

Can anyone at least confirm their computer doesn't do this so that I know if this is normal or abnormal for the model?

I turned on my laptop now, after 4 days (it was fully charged before, disconnected from AC) and battery is at 99%. I even have the always on usb enabled in bios.

Maybe the laptop didn't actually shutdown? like it it was in standby mode ... my girlfriend's laptop (y510p) doesn't drain it's battery when it's completely off.

I have a same problem on Y410P.Battery drain 8% when i complete shutdown at night,unplug ac and turn on again in the morning.

Maybe the laptop didn't actually shutdown? like it it was in standby mode ... my girlfriend's laptop (y510p) doesn't drain it's battery when it's completely off.

How to actually shutdown? I'm using windows 8.1 and press shift key when shutdown but still have 8% battery drain in the morning.

Based on the responses, it sounds like this is a problem with my computer. I have always on USB disabled in BIOS. I also use the shutdown option to turn the computer off, so unless there is something that has changed with the shutdown option that I don't know about the computer is off. Is this a known issue with this model?

My Y400 does the same thing. Just take the battery out when you are putting it away for an extended period of time. It does it with different brand batteries too. Yes, my usb plug is set to off. I don't know if it is a BIOS issue or what.

I found that when i turn off wifi (windows 8.1) before shutdown it doesn't drain battery. I will check again to confirm this tomorrow.

When i turn on wifi again and shutdown windows it still doesn't drain battery. My 8% battery drain problem are gone.So i think it should be a software or bios problem not a hardware.

I remember reading some feature about Haswell processors and intel wifi where it scans while powered down in certain states sleep to maintain wifi connection and download things. I forget what exactly but I do distinctly recall reading about this. I'm sure there is a way to disable it.

I had the same issue with my old y530. Wifi card was the problem and it was gone after I replacement.

Im sure that 9 hours will quickly drop well below 3 hours after 5 mins of use. Battery reporting in windows can be funny like that at times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Try using BatteryBar or some other equaivalent battery monitoring software to get accurate results. If it is actually 9 hours, message me and I'll definitely take out my second 750M! ^_^

this model has very short battery duration , but i can tell you the drain is not normal. After a month of use mine is still at least 99% after booting.

if the computer is in stand by you will see a great decrease in battery power when returning to it a few days later. also if you don't drain your battery on the occasion the lithium ion battery will build up pressure and release your actual battery liquid material as a gas, and the battery won't charge to the full capacity it once had. see these read ups on this issue with lithium ion batteries, check out these sites How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University http://canada.newark.com/pdfs/techarticles/tektronix/LIBMG.pdf Lithium-Ion Battery Maintenance also you will probably have to verify there are no standby issues if your using the program utorrent I've had issues in the past with my desktop not going into sleep mode because torrents were running, or they had finished but still the computer wouldn't engage sleep mode. just check your power management settings and also the device manager for that computer controlled power save mode.

My Y510p also has the battery drain problem. I set the in the Battery Management to optimize for battery health, which charges to 60% and it will stop charging. When I completely turn off the computer (with wake-on-lan and usb charging disabled), it took around 2 weeks to lose all the 60% of the charge. I've tried to remove the battery for 1 week, when I replugged the battery in, it shown no battery lost at all, thus 60%. So, it should be problem of the laptop electronics / bios problem, not the battery itself.

Well it can either be a problem with the battery or a software related issue. Just like @forevertrj said batteries can release the battery liquid as gas. And usually it is said that lithium ion battery at least loses 20% of its capacity during a single year of usage. And sometimes the batteries can become quite unstable as the time passes. Extremely fast battery draining. Wrong battery life calculations can happen. If it's a simple software problem I suggest finding alternative drivers or softwares

Hi ,

Did u use Lenovo Power Management tool . It has a option to stop charging after 60 % even though the laptop is plugged in . Doing this helps to increase battery life sapn .

Also try using the intel on board graphics instead of NVIDIA when doing laptop for normal routines saves quite a bit of power . But I suppose NVIDIA optimus should be enabled toswitch between graphic cards which is locked by our manufacturer.

Is there a bios for the y510p that comes with some of the cores disabled to save battery performance?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By XxBansheexX
      I have an M18x R1  running WIN7 PRO NV580M SLI, however second card was removed due to possible issue. I am running Ahmeds Unlocked BIOS A04. Since I removed the second card I am getting a power cycling issue, the battery charges fine and the system runs fine off AC power but when connected to AC with the battery in and as soon as the battery reaches 100% it starts cycling between on battery power and on AC power.

I have performed a system restore. Restored to stock BIOS then back to unlocked BIOS. Pulled battery connected AC and then put battery back in when windows boots. Ran a power drain by holding the power button three times. Booted on battery alone, then booted on power alone. Nothing has worked.

I am hoping someone has run into this issue and can help me. This is a new system to me and has some differences of the M15x I used to have.
    • By Khenglish
      So back when I got my P150EM, one of the deciding factors on getting it was that due to optimus/enduro, the battery life was respectable. I wanted the top hardware while still having some mobility. Over time though, the battery became more and more worn out, to the point where I hardly got over an hour of life out of it. New batteries are stupidly expensive, and Clevo used cheap cells for it in the first place. I wasn't paying $100 for a mediocre replacement battery. I decided to pay $50 for top end cells to boost capacity by 30% and get over 6h of battery life. I figured that this could get messy, and luckily a friend let me have his nearly dead P150HM battery for me to have some spare parts.

So I swapped the cells, while destroying the plastic battery shell in the process, and got a battery that worked just like it still had the old cells. Figuring I needed to reprogram the EEPROM on the battery pack, I started removing the glue all over the EEPROM chip to get it in my programmer. I stupidly forgot that I was working on a  BATTERY, which meant that it was ALWAYS ON, and poured MEK over it, blowing a fuse.

After getting pissed off and giving up for a few months, today I gave it another go. I got the EEPROM chip out and started taking guesses at how to reprogram it. If I guessed wrong, good thing the fuse was blown so I don't melt anything. I figured out that battery EEPROM contains the capacity info in terms of mAh for a pair of battery cells. I searched for the default 5200 mAh (1450 in hex) and found it. I then raised this to 6800 mAh (1A90 in hex). It was a success! Nominal battery capacity was now 100640 mAh total.

So now I knew I could probably program things right after enough tries. It was now time to get the battery operational again. I bridged the fuse, and the battery came back to life. Sort of. It would charge when off, but not on. It would run, but windows reported no battery drain (infinite energy!?!?!?!?). In short, the battery EEPROM was not being updated at all as the battery state changed. I was under the impression that if  Ilet it charge, it would not stop until overvoltage protection kicked in, and if I let it discharge, it would not turn off until the system BIOS detected an undervoltage scenario, which is far below the safe discharge voltage of the battery. I figured for the time I'd just let it be and try to get the EEPROM right.

Next was looking for the wear capacity. This is the capacity left in the battery as it ages. Using hwinfo64, I got the wear level, converted it to hex, and found it in the EEPROM. I then changed it to only 5% wear instead of 74%. I left some wear because I did let the cells sit for a few months, and I was directly soldering to the cells, which isn't really good for them due to the heat from the iron. This was a success. Current charge % correctly dropped as well.

So now I needed to get the battery charging right. My only option was to rip apart my old, but fully functional P150EM battery. I found that the fuse was actually really weird with 3 prongs, and only 2 prongs were supposed to have 0 resistance. I had soldered all 3 together on the P150HM battery. I switched the EEPROM chips and boards, then hoped it would work and not require me to run and get the fire extinguisher.

It worked! The battery is now charging properly as I type this. It also discharges right too. It looks like the laptop will try to overcharge it a bit since the current charge % was a little low vs reality, but that should just give it a little extra wear, with the charge % being calibrated properly at 100%.

I'm not sure how I'm going to get that back in the shell...

Continue discussion in original thread here. 
    • By StamatisX

Samsung's new Galaxy A9, a premium midrange phone with a design of glass and metal will rock a 6-incher FullHD (1080p) AMOLED panel, minimal bezel and 2.74mm width as well as a 4000 mAh battery with fast charging. 
      The package will include:

A Snapdragon 652 (Quad-core 1.8GHz ARM Cortex A72 + Quad-core 1.2GHz Cortex A53, Adreno 510 GPU) with 3GB of RAM and internal storage of 32GB, expandable with the help of a microSD card.  It will come with a 13MP primary camera with a wide f/1.9 aperture and optical image stabilization. On the front there's an 8MP snapper behind an equally bright lens. A fingerprint sensor inside the home button, complete with Samsung Pay support. Wi-Fi a/b/g/n (no ac, though). Bluetooth v4.1 and GPS/Beidou for positioning as well as NFC.  
      Unfortunately it will come with a Lollipop 5.1 and pricing and availability remain to be detailed.

Source: GSM Arena

View full article
    • By StamatisX

Samsung's new Galaxy A9, a premium midrange phone with a design of glass and metal will rock a 6-incher FullHD (1080p) AMOLED panel, minimal bezel and 2.74mm width as well as a 4000 mAh battery with fast charging. 
      The package will include:

A Snapdragon 652 (Quad-core 1.8GHz ARM Cortex A72 + Quad-core 1.2GHz Cortex A53, Adreno 510 GPU) with 3GB of RAM and internal storage of 32GB, expandable with the help of a microSD card.  It will come with a 13MP primary camera with a wide f/1.9 aperture and optical image stabilization. On the front there's an 8MP snapper behind an equally bright lens. A fingerprint sensor inside the home button, complete with Samsung Pay support. Wi-Fi a/b/g/n (no ac, though). Bluetooth v4.1 and GPS/Beidou for positioning as well as NFC.  
      Unfortunately it will come with a Lollipop 5.1 and pricing and availability remain to be detailed.

Source: GSM Arena
    • By nightmaren
      EDIT: The latest (and only) BIOS update to 3.05 seemed to have fixed this. Only 1% drain overnight. I was on 1.10... a little disappointing that 3.05 only made it to the website last month, being dated from September of last year and all...
      Hi everyone,
      I'm having an issue with my y510p where the battery drains at a rate of about 20% overnight with the system off and disconnected from AC power. It's totally off, not standby/sleep. Nothing is connected to it. I've tried the following:
      - Disable USB charging function in BIOS
      - Disable wake-on-LAN features of the network and wireless adapters (N-2230)
      - Disable fast boot/hibernation
      - Uninstall Intel Bluetooth driver, revert to Microsoft Bluetooth stack
      - Clean install of Windows 8, Windows 7, and Ubuntu 14.04 (doesn't matter which OS I have installed)
      Does anyone have any other ideas on what could be happening? I've read on the Lenovo forums that people have sent their systems in for replacement motherboards and still experience this issue. I'm out of ideas on what else to do. Wanted to try as much as I could before resorting to sending it in for a repair that might not do anything.
      Thanks!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.