Y510p Excessive Battery Drain

Beavel

I don't use my laptop daily and have noticed excessive battery drain between uses. For example, it was fully charged on Tuesday and when booted it today (Sunday) 5 days later the battery was down to 66%. I understand that the battery will drain some, but that seems like a lot for 5 days. It is Windows 8.1 so I have followed instructions on how to disable the Fast boot to make sure it does a full shutdown. Not sure if there is a way to verify that. Has anybody else experienced this? Do I need to get serviced under warranty? What else should I look at that might be draining battery when off?

Maybe the laptop didn't actually shutdown? like it it was in standby mode ... my girlfriend's laptop (y510p) doesn't drain it's battery when it's completely off.

How to actually shutdown? I'm using windows 8.1 and press shift key when shutdown but still have 8% battery drain in the morning.

Based on the responses, it sounds like this is a problem with my computer. I have always on USB disabled in BIOS. I also use the shutdown option to turn the computer off, so unless there is something that has changed with the shutdown option that I don't know about the computer is off. Is this a known issue with this model?

• 2 weeks later...

My Y400 does the same thing. Just take the battery out when you are putting it away for an extended period of time. It does it with different brand batteries too. Yes, my usb plug is set to off. I don't know if it is a BIOS issue or what.

I remember reading some feature about Haswell processors and intel wifi where it scans while powered down in certain states sleep to maintain wifi connection and download things. I forget what exactly but I do distinctly recall reading about this. I'm sure there is a way to disable it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

if the computer is in stand by you will see a great decrease in battery power when returning to it a few days later. also if you don't drain your battery on the occasion the lithium ion battery will build up pressure and release your actual battery liquid material as a gas, and the battery won't charge to the full capacity it once had. see these read ups on this issue with lithium ion batteries, check out these sites How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University http://canada.newark.com/pdfs/techarticles/tektronix/LIBMG.pdf Lithium-Ion Battery Maintenance also you will probably have to verify there are no standby issues if your using the program utorrent I've had issues in the past with my desktop not going into sleep mode because torrents were running, or they had finished but still the computer wouldn't engage sleep mode. just check your power management settings and also the device manager for that computer controlled power save mode.

My Y510p also has the battery drain problem. I set the in the Battery Management to optimize for battery health, which charges to 60% and it will stop charging. When I completely turn off the computer (with wake-on-lan and usb charging disabled), it took around 2 weeks to lose all the 60% of the charge. I've tried to remove the battery for 1 week, when I replugged the battery in, it shown no battery lost at all, thus 60%. So, it should be problem of the laptop electronics / bios problem, not the battery itself.

Well it can either be a problem with the battery or a software related issue. Just like @forevertrj said batteries can release the battery liquid as gas. And usually it is said that lithium ion battery at least loses 20% of its capacity during a single year of usage. And sometimes the batteries can become quite unstable as the time passes. Extremely fast battery draining. Wrong battery life calculations can happen. If it's a simple software problem I suggest finding alternative drivers or softwares

• 2 months later...

Hi ,

Did u use Lenovo Power Management tool . It has a option to stop charging after 60 % even though the laptop is plugged in . Doing this helps to increase battery life sapn .

Also try using the intel on board graphics instead of NVIDIA when doing laptop for normal routines saves quite a bit of power . But I suppose NVIDIA optimus should be enabled toswitch between graphic cards which is locked by our manufacturer.