• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the tutorial. Going to replace the optical drive with the caddy as recommend but will put the original hdd in that caddy and a SSD in the original hard drive slot. Does it make a difference? From what I've been reading, this is the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...
this is awesome, but does anyone have an alternative site/place to buy the optical bay caddy because the ebay one seems to take soo long, from what i hear, the minimum time for delivery would be 10days

I know this is a late response, but I thought it would maybe benefit those still looking to do this mod but not use ebay.

I got this caddy from Amazon and it worked great.

Amazon.com: Micro SATA Cables - 9.5mm SATA to SATA HDD Hard Disk Drive Caddy Adapter: Computers & Accessories

I also wanted to keep the dvd useful so I got this enclosure and after some minor mods (cutting a peg) works nicely

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005RFOJT6/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks again for this tutorial, it was great to get ssd speed and still have room for files and games

• 2 weeks later...

hows the caddy you got from amazon? does using it in the ODD sata affects speed? I mean is it sata 1 or sata 2 speed? im planning to do the same for my m14x, sdd as primary and the stock hdd will be secondary in a caddy placed in the odd.

hows the caddy you got from amazon? does using it in the ODD sata affects speed? I mean is it sata 1 or sata 2 speed? im planning to do the same for my m14x, sdd as primary and the stock hdd will be secondary in a caddy placed in the odd.

I have had no problems with speed, I install all of my steam games onto the stock hdd connected to the caddy, and all the games play perfect. This mod really does get you the best of both worlds, speed of an ssd and storage.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
I have had no problems with speed, I install all of my steam games onto the stock hdd connected to the caddy, and all the games play perfect. This mod really does get you the best of both worlds, speed of an ssd and storage.

still trying to decide with sdd if I will to get a samsung 840 pro or the 830 or the crucial m4.

ok I'm thinking of trying that caddy instead of this: 2nd hard drive or SSD Caddy for Alienware m14x [OBHD9-SATA-SATA-NF] - $42.00 : NewmodeUS, Hard Drive Caddys for Notebooks

I hope the caddy you recommended is all metal.. so as to dissipate heat like the one from newmodeus.

thanks for the reply

I'm running a PM830 MSATA 128GB and WD 500GB 7.200RPM.

I put all "user data", System temp and IE Temp Folders on the 500GB HDD.

Disabled Auto defrag, prefetch and superprefetcher function.

on SSD are only installed: OS and Programs

on HDD are installed: Games, MP3, TMP, downloads, user data and a backup Image from SSD

so i got a fast and stable System and the lifetime of my SSD will be much longer.

M14xR2

• 4 months later...

Great Guide thanks, I'm Running a 256gb samsung 840 pro and my primary drive with OS and Video Editing Software on it and my 750gb hard drive in the caddy, i also brought and enclosure and turned my internal DVD into a usb 2 external for the occasional time i need a Cd/Dvd

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to say thank you for the guide, i installed my ssd in, i currently have a 256gb samsung 840 in my original hdd slot for my os and games and my 1tb hdd in my optical drive slot (now in a caddy) as storage. Booting up my laptop doesn't have the annoying dvd drive squeak and it's pretty quiet now.

• 3 weeks later...

HI,

I have been thinking if having second hdd may cause overheating, basicly one is on the top of each other, i have installed my 64gb ssd as primary hdd and i have put 500gb sata3 into a housing I have got from honk kong now i think left down corner of my m14x is getting very hot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice guide. Just did this with my M14x R1 with good results. I did some research and found this aluminum optical bay caddy which does not require removal of the ribbon cable. Here's a link:

Amazon.com: NEW SATA 2nd HDD caddy for 9.5mm Universal CD/DVD-ROM ACER BENQ HP DELL ASUS: Computers & Accessories

This allows you to attach the HDD with side mount screws.

Great post! I upgraded the same several months ago and had I seen your post it would've taken half the time. I haven't had any issues except a slight increase in heat from the stacked drives, but I guess that to be expected.

Alienware M14x | i7-2720QM | 8GB DDR3 1600 Mhz | 256 GB Samsung 840Pro | 500GB WesternDigital Black | Nvidia 3.0 GB GT 555M |

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i just bought team ssd 250gb only 500mb/s speed bcuz my stock HDD broken. Should i buy new HDD? bcuz i cant fit my games inside that tiny space x.x

this laptop alrdy 3 years old so is it worth it? == and how we gonna install stuff without dvd drive? since the i got the windows dvd from alienware...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I did the same thing but with mine I had a Macbook pro 13 from 2009 that I had bought a data doubler without too much effort I just basically taped it in place although I did use the two screws for mounting the hdd from the alienware in the data doubler. but now the Crucial m4 is running nice with one caveat when installing the ssd please note: pull the other drive until you have recovered the ssd with the software you have on a recovery usb. Once you have installed windows then and only then add the second hard drive.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...