Need help with screen upgrade.

Wipper138

I am tring to upgrade my screen to 3d on my m17x r4. Amd having issues with the laptop not seeing screen as stereoscopic. Anyone have any ideas? I have done all the updates. Running into a few issues. When I try to use my HDMI-in then the screen turns off. And nvidia control panel is not seeing my monitor as stereoscopic. Anyone have any ideas on what to try I have been doing updats like crazy for 2 days.

8g5m.png

Check cables/connectors.

- eDP connector/cable

- 3D Vision emitter cable (Black)

- Camera/Microphone (white)

Reset the BIOS -> remove power cord,CMOS Bat,system battery -> hold down power button for 60 seconds -> reinsert CMOS Bat,system Battery,power cord -> Power on.

I removed the batterys help power button down reinserted batteries plugged it in turned it on, it beeped 5 times and I held power button down shut it down and turned it on again booted fine into windows. Had the chime like new hardware was detected but nvidia control panel still not giving me steroscopic options.. I have the 331 drivers and the a12 bios. really dont understand why this is being so difficult.

---

The camera and mic are working, screen displaying fine (much better looking then old one) and the system seen the ir emitter and installed the drivers for it. I am also having some issues with the HDMI-in. When I try using it it shuts of my monitor, if I have my second one plugged in it makes that my primary and leaves my laptop display turned off. But I get options for stereoscopic on my secondary monitor but my secondary is not 3d. When I try to set it up it says it didnt install correctly and when I open nvidia control panel then unplug HDMI-in so my latop monitor goes back to normal it says it cant set up a non stereoscopic display and removes option from nvidia control panel.

LGD02C5 it is.....And I guess there isnt a work around to get this on to work on the R4?

Thanks for the help I'm going to go flip out on the guy whom sold it to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Since 3d vision wont work is there anyway to get my HDMI-in to work again? ever since the swap every time I try using HDMI in my screen goes black. If I do not have my second monitor attached then I get sound but no video.

yea the display defaulted to PEG. This turned out to be ALOT of work to loss functionality and gain nothing of note. Yes the screen looks SOOO much better. But do to my living situation atm, I do not have access to my TV. I have been using my laptop as my display for my PS3 and 360. Ever since the upgrade when I try to use my HDMI in my screen goes black. I dont really do alot of console gaming lately (Darn Steam and releasing FF7 and FF8). But that is how I get on and keep in touch with everyone I sued to work with a friends of mine because we all work retail and don't live close so noone ever has the same days off. Any chance you know why that would stop working?

Clean install drivers, safe mode run Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V9.9.2 / first uninstall option -> Install GeForce 331.93 Beta Driver

Alienware OSD version ?

Run -> powercfg.cpl -> Change Plan settings -> (High Performance)Put the computer to sleep -> Never -> temporarily set Turn off the display -> Never.

Plug HDMI IN -> FN + F8.

Awesome thought I had a copy of 331 installer already downloaded but tring that now and I will let you know. I didnt know there was a clean install program floating around (come to think of it JV16 probably would have done it). And I guess the guy who sold it to me is tearing down a R4 to send me the right model now. Guy is tring supper hard to avoid bad review on ebay,

Yeah that screen is almost impossible to find... most are selling R3s, mine is also LGD02C5 (R3 board upgrade) both card and screen needs to be BIOS/3D Vision certified...svl7 tried modding the R3 BIOS for 3D/680m but lost all his work, it's a challenging/complex mod R4 3D support 780M and include LGD02C5 solo (R4 3D Vision 2 LightBoost) R4 780M/3D maybe @widezu69 [MENTION=272]Red Line[/MENTION] and others who might be interested...svl7 probably knows AW better than anyone and there is Insyde bios mod requests (TTAV134), hypothetically speaking...I guess not :P

He said he is taking it off of a 3D R4 that they have been trying to sell as a whole. I Flash Sir svl7's unlocked a10 bios but this laptop was originally only the 900 screen. But with the Samsung monitor and unlocked bios I shouldn't run into any issues correct? I didn't realize the major firmware differences from desktops to laptops and realize now how ignorant I am on the subject. I am more of a software kind of person (Malware removal/repair) and I am realizing quickly how far up the level of you guys are. Sorry for being such a newb cramping up your forums but the help is greatly appreciated.

Well got the screen installed. Works and looks great no issues at all and HDMI-In is working fine. (even though Nvidia said it wont) Next on to digging up info for a 680m upgrade. tahn k you for all your help without you I am sure that I still would not know what the heck was going on.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

R4 Samsung SEC5044 (3D Vision 2)

R3 LG LGD02C5

I don't suppose anyone has the part number for the samsung panel, or a spec sheet?

I'm planning to upgrade my R4 (1080 non 3d) to the 120Hz panel, or any panel that'll improve the display really (not bothered about 3d). I've tested a R3 LG panel and a quick test looked good (120Hz was fine), but i'd rather not hit the HDMI issues etc. I had been looking at a Samsung LTN173HT02-DO2 / 0GN36T, from what i can tell this should work but i have no idea if it's Vision 1 or Vision 2.

I'm starting to suspect it might be easiest finding a 2nd hand R4 and scavenging the 3d panel and cable...

I don't suppose anyone has the part number for the samsung panel, or a spec sheet?

I'm planning to upgrade my R4 (1080 non 3d) to the 120Hz panel, or any panel that'll improve the display really (not bothered about 3d). I've tested a R3 LG panel and a quick test looked good (120Hz was fine), but i'd rather not hit the HDMI issues etc. I had been looking at a Samsung LTN173HT02-DO2 / 0GN36T, from what i can tell this should work but i have no idea if it's Vision 1 or Vision 2.

I'm starting to suspect it might be easiest finding a 2nd hand R4 and scavenging the 3d panel and cable...

R4 3D panel #DHCG2 (SEC5044)

@mostlygeek Alienware M17XR4 Voyager MLK - DHCG2

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks J95, the DHCG2 number threw up a few more purchase options.

The part still isn't easy to come by and living in the UK i'm less eager to take a chance on ebay(US) delivering the right panel. Sticking with Plan B for the moment, waiting for an r4 with a 3D panel to pop up on the Dell outlet then cherry picking parts for the upgrade machine, ebaying the lower spec one.