m17x r4 upgraded to 8970 from 660m issues

ManOfKnight

Last night I spent the better part of two hours pulling my hair out due to issues from upgrading from a 660 to a 8970m. First it appears my 180w power adapter may not be enough, which may or may not be causing my issues. I do NOT have an unlocked BIOS as I cannot download one without 5 posts...I am using the A13. Here is what I have seen:

Bios sees the GPU...it states ATI GFX

Windows 8 sees a Microsoft Generic Display Adapter but GPU-Z sees that Radeon produces it

GPU fan spins on boot, tests fine in tests from the BIOS, but stops spinning 15 seconds into boot up

My laptop is powered off as not to damage my new card.

My questions are:

Do I need the 240w power adapter to even power the card? I figured on battery power it should have worked doing Alt-F7 but even that didn't work.

Will just a modded BIOS fix both the recognizing of the card and make the fan spin?

The drivers are installed. The problem is it doesn't recognize the ATI GPU as anything more than a Microsoft Generic Display Adapter and the fan refuses to spin after 20 seconds into the boot cycle. I don't know if unlocked drivers will fix this issue or not or it requires a 240w power adapter to fully be recognized and start the GPU fan.

Well it was detected with the iGPU on. Just try getting that to work.

Which driver should i install? I tried AMD's from their website...to no avail. It shows up Microsoft something display adapter

- - - Updated - - -

Well it was detected with the iGPU on. Just try getting that to work.

Just installed HWINFO...HWINFO recognizes the 8970...hmmmmm

Which driver should i install? I tried AMD's from their website...to no avail. It shows up Microsoft something display adapter

So when trying to install the AMD driver you got a message saying that there was no supported card detected? That's not really unexpected. Often drivers need to be modified when trying to run newer cards in older laptops.

Also is this a clevo 8970m or a dell 8970m?

I purchased it from an individual who stated it was a dell 4gb 8970

no i got no errors...so i thought at first it was working fine.

- - - Updated - - -

I am downloading a modded set of drivers...on a T-1...so going to workout then I will check it...have one hour

I purchased it from an individual who stated it was a dell 4gb 8970

no i got no errors...so i thought at first it was working fine.

As I said the card seems fine. Get the fan running so it stays that way.

As for getting a driver installed I'm not the expert on this. You probably need to edit the driver .inf so that it installs. It's necessary for nvidia, but I don't know about AMD. I am not certain on what exactly the edits are. I know J95 and probably a few others do know though. Getting PEG to work might not be a requirement on getting the driver installed, but usually it makes the process simpler.

By the way automatic fan control is never going to work. You will always need to force fan speeds through hwinfo, but after you get a driver running you can see the temperature in things like GPU-z and precision.

As for getting a driver installed I'm not the expert on this. You probably need to edit the driver .inf so that it installs. It's necessary for nvidia, but I don't know about AMD. I am not certain on what exactly the edits are. I know J95 and probably a few others do know though. Getting PEG to work might not be a requirement on getting the driver installed, but usually it makes the process simpler.

By the way automatic fan control is never going to work. You will always need to force fan speeds through hwinfo, but after you get a driver running you can see the temperature in things like GPU-z and precision.

Thx. Got the fan control running now. downloading modded drivers. I will post when completed.

OK. Turns out WINDOWS RECOGNIZES the card...but the system will not switch to it. Go PEG, disable internal...6 beeps.

- - - Updated - - -

GPU-z sees it...windows sees it...can't USE it

- - - Updated - - -

Try disabling the iGPU and setting the display to PEG.

Tried that and special features (don't know what that does)...6 beeps...or 8 beeps...depending on what I turn off.

What do you mean by you can't use it. You did successfully install an AMD driver right? If so right click the desktop, click "configure switchable graphics", then "switchable graphics global settings", and make sure under plugged in you have "maximize performance" selected.

If you don't have those options then you didn't install a driver.

Yeah, unlocked BIOS -> Second Advanced Menu -> Video Configuration -> Disable iGPU -> Set display to PEG.

[MENTION=17268]San Pedro[/MENTION] vBIOS issue (fixed) #3 http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/4734-8970m-problems-my-m17x-r3.html#post66413

AMD Catalyst™ 13.12 Notebook Display Driver (64-bit)

i installed the 13.12 mobility but if i go PEG and shut off iGPU i get 6 to 8 beeps depending on if i shut off other items in bios (special features)

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, unlocked BIOS -> Second Advanced Menu -> Video Configuration -> Disable iGPU -> Set display to PEG.

vBIOS issue (fixed) #3 http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/4734-8970m-problems-my-m17x-r3.html#post66413

AMD Catalyst™ 13.12 Notebook Display Driver (64-bit)

i did that

- - - Updated - - -

What do you mean by you can't use it. You did successfully install an AMD driver right? If so right click the desktop, click "configure switchable graphics", then "switchable graphics global settings", and make sure under plugged in you have "maximize performance" selected.

If you don't have those options then you didn't install a driver.

I have those options but i get AMD Catalyst Control Center cannot be started. There are currently no settings that can be configured using AMD Catalyst Control Center.

ManofKnight, try the vbios I sent you. There are guides on here to installing a vbios.

It sounds like you are having similar issue as I was before I got a good vbios (tried 3 different ones). With the first vbios I also got 6 beeps (monitor is not working I believe) with PEG enabled. The only way I was able to fix that was to reset cmos (PITA). Also with the first two vbios I was able to install drivers in SG mode, but upon restart the screen would be black. With the final one, I couldn't install drivers in SG mode (if I remember correctly), so I finally switched to PEG and all was good.

Good luck, keep a cool head, and don't forget to clear your drivers between tries.

Vbios I tried:

BR44450.007

BR44465.003

hbr44618.001

• Thumbs Up 2

The vBIOS allowed my computer to USE it by picking maximum performance...still can put PEG in the BIOS or I get 8 beeps...but now I have to upgrade to a 240w adapter. The 180w adapter has my processor at 1.2Ghz and my 8970m REALLY slowed, by over half. Can't wait to feel the TRUE power of this card when my adapter arrives the day after Christmas.

Thanks for all the help, I would have NEVER figured all this out.