My y500 went poof :/

Uberperson

So, I was having some fuzzy video signal on my y500. I thought it might be a loose connection on the lcd or on the board. So when I opened it up I had it running and while it was running I accidently pulled the main LCD connector out of the back of the LCD while the laptop was on....after that my laptop does not power on at all, no beeps, not even the fan moves at all. I am assuming I fried the motherboard, but I am not sure. It seems odd that I get no response at all, I was also wondering if it could possible be the ribbon that connects to the power connector. When I looked at it, it appeared okay. Is there an alternative to powering on the laptop without that ribbon/button? I am at a loss at what to do, if you guys have any advice let me know.

edit: I also found that the fuzzy signal was a result of a bent pin on the VGA connector on the motherboard.

That doesn't sound good. You could make sure that all connectors are connected, esp. the power system (jack, adapter, battery, etc) If everything's good as far as connections, you may end up needing a new laptop or motherboard. One encouraging thing though is that one time when I tried to kill a clunker laptop, I was able to connect and reconnect the display cable while it was running and it still worked.

• 6 months later...

just put back everything the way it is. Send it in for repair. Unit has no power.

They repair the motherboard. Fix issue resolved. This company is anal about replacing the motherboard. Only company that I know, you will need to fight for a brand item to be replace.