[M17x r3] SATA 3 BIOS update without battery?

EventH

Hello all,

Here's the tl;dr: I'm trying to find out how I can flash to the A08 or A12 unlocked bios without my computer's battery.

I got a new SSD yesterday and installed it fine in bay 1. It works great except I have the A10 bios which of course disables the SATA 3 speeds, which was sort of the entire point of getting the SSD. Naturally I've tried flashing to the A08 and the unlocked A12 bioses but BOTH of them seem to require that I be in Windows AND have the computers battery in. I made a bootable USB drive to boot into DOS (based on win 98) but the A08 BIOS executable said it cant be run from a dos environment, EVEN THOUGH the dell website I downloaded it from (here: Driver Details | Dell US) said it was a 'universal' executable. If I try to run it from inside Windows, it just tells me I need the battery (even with the /forceit command), but my battery is shot (plugged in, not charging) and I am not going to spend $150 to flash my BIOS if I don't need to.

Is there any way to trick the Insyde bios flasher into thinking I have a battery installed, OR making a boot drive which can otherwise circumvent the battery check?

This whole thing is driving me crazy and Ive run out of ideas. :(

Hi there, blind flash A12 Unlocked.

1- FAT32 Formatted USB drive or Bootable USB stick (win 98).

2- Rename "PAR00MEC.fd" (A12 unlocked BIOS) to "PAR00X64.fd" (without quotes) and copy only PAR00X64.fd to the ROOT of the USB drive -> Shutdown.

3- Remove power cord and GPU

4- Plug in USB stick into the ESATA port.

5- While Holding the END key Plug the power cord, it will restart/beeps(30-50) a couple of times - keep holding the END key until it doesn't restart anymore.

6- Install GPU/Remove USB stick -> power ON -> F2 -> BIOS -> F9 Load defaults, remember to set AHCI/RAID and Display to PEG (120Hz) or SG.

R3 only, removing the GPU allows to blind flash any BIOS even from Unlocked versions A04->A08->A10->A12/all unlocked (580M GPU throttle fix) using the same bootable FAT32 USB stick (vBIOS flash).

• 5 years later...

I found another way to do this recently using the windows tool InsydeFlash. Perhaps it's more relevant now since these laptop batteries are getting quite old.

1) open "platform.ini" in notepad

2) search for "BatteryCheck"

3) change 1 to 0

4) save changes

InsydeFlash should now run without checking for a battery.

This worked for me with InsydeFlash V3.93.00

Be aware though that a badly timed power outage will brick your machine.