780m Cards not detecting in a M18 R2

topkarter

My M18x R2 has 2 x Nvidia GTX780M cards in it but after respawn of different factory image(some muppet wiped both drives and image, then slapped vista on it) no joy in the graphics world. Device manage sees them but I can install Nvidia Graphics drivers as it cant detect them. Dell tech pulled one out which we suspected as failed but still no joy....

What do we need to do? Is there a mod?? / patch

Will it run on one card?

Am i up that creek looking at a big bill?

Dell warranty expired...........help..........:72:

• Founder

Might be because of Vista. Try loading Windows 7 on it and the latest drivers and see if it detects the cards. Don't bother with Dell respawn, just load a fresh OS install + drivers from Dell's website for the system and NVIDIA drivers for the graphics cards.

Brian, thanks.

The Dell tech installed a alien image firstly with win 7 Home preimum, we loaded all the Dell drivers and tried nvidia ones with no joy

We can see them in device manager as standard vga card but Nvidia cannot install as it can't detect what type they are.

We tried a new install and win win 7 but failed to complete and the reversed install to last known good setup(alien image)

Any thoughts?

Does anyone have a 18x R2 with 780m cards in it?

Thanks

If you haven't modded the NVDMN.INF drivers won't install because the hardware ID is missing. The Alienware M18xR2 never shipped with 780M cards so you will always have to mod the INF file for the drivers to install.

Download 331.82 and replace the original NVDMN.INF with the one in the attached zip file. You will find it in the Display.Driver folder after extracting the drivers. The same file has been modded to work for the M18xR1 with 680M or 780M, which is also not a standard hardware configuration for that machine. This modded INF also enables on-the-fly SLI (no reboot required).

331.82 nvdmn.zip

Dell tech installed a factory image from start and loaded all current drivers from dell. Nvidia graphics drivers can not load as no matching cards are detected. Tried a fresh install, failed to complete and returned to last known config, (image)

Dell tech took out one card which we thought to be suspect and still no joy.

Thanks for the information Mr Fox and the link to the modified files. This simple solution will probably solve all our problems.

If and when I ever post more than 4 forum messages I'll be sure to download it unless someone would be kind enough to host it elsewhere, link to it elsewhere or email it to me.

1st a quick gush: You, sir, are magnificent! I was ready to call it a bad card. (Realized we (all) are in the middle of a p1$$ match between Dell and NVidia.)

So, I've got a 770M card in a M18xR2, and want to verify the Mod (info from a Dell Forum) with you before I jump. Dev ID=11e0 (from the inf), and the Dell site said to change the 0580 with 048F for both the R1 & R2. I question this as it also states the 048F is machID for the R1 and can't find mention of machID for the R2.

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

12-16 Update: OK, so there is 11E0.05AA; .05AB; .05AD; & .05AE (not the 0580 for the 680m) so now am wondering which one (the first one as eg by the mod for the 680m?) and will the machID 048F work, or do I a correct one for the R2? Any help would be terrific, please?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I am going to reinstall WIN7. one GTX 780m works great but the second gets an error 43. I have torn down and rebuilt the system twice. Thinking it may have been an HD4000 driver conflict, took out the cards, updated the HD4000 driver, and reinstalled the 2 GTX 780m's. I can see both devices in the BIOS and have flashed both VbIOSs using nvflash. Both cards are being seen and seem to work fine except in device manager. ugh!! I am using 331.82 with modded .inf. The install was smooth.......????

• 10 months later...

Hi,guys.

Please help.

I got the same troubles but with the two 880M's

I go throught the whole actions to have insalled bith 880m SLI:

1)Flashed the Bios for A10 nlocked using Dos method.

2)Set the internal video adapter disabled

3)Set the display mode to SG

4)Installed cards

5) I got nvdmi.inf modded for my R2 and 337.88 drivers.

If I install drivers and then reboot the system doesn't post and I have dark screen.I made this procedure two times.

Now I have clear windows 7, no one driver.

The device manager shows two VGA adapters.but second one is yellow marked and have been stopped by system with error code 10.

Nvidia.com says about this code that I need to assign IRQ to VGA.

But A10 unlocked doesn't have that option.

Please help.

Do i need to install another Bios version or there is another way to assign it ?

How to assign this IRQ to second VGA?

pics are attached.

post-30460-1449499862486_thumb.jpg

post-30460-14494998621945_thumb.jpg

post-30460-14494998622914_thumb.jpg

post-30460-14494998623898_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Im a noob, I don't know how to mod a bloody file haha. I been running On one GTX 780m for three years. Next time I'll buy a hacky sack. Save $6000 and won't have to deal with Dell. Glad I read this thoug, I was going to replace one of the cards. Now i'll just stick with the one. Thanks MR FOX!!!