Recommendatios for CPU/Motherboard/RAM/PSU

• Founder

Ok guys and girls, my Alienware laptop got fried today so I am left without a computer and since I am out of the desktop game for a long time now I need your assistance to build one.

What I need to get is: CPU, Motherboard, RAM and PSU. My budget for those is €1300.

Based on the CPU I would like to hear your suggestions:

• 1st option i7 4770K (€310)
  • 2nd option i7 4930K (€540)

RAM can be between 8-16 GB (preferably 2 modules for the 16GB) DDR3 1866 or more. (no more than €200)

PSU I was thinking Corsair AX Series 1200i Digital (€325) (or should I go with the cheaper professional series?)

Motherboard I was thinking about Asus Rampage IV Gene if I go with with the 2nd CPU option, so I am up to suggestions (up to €320)

About CPU cooling I believe a Corsair H100i (€110) will suffice.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

No GPU?

This is my current desktop build. Just omit the extra set of RAM and probably the case from it. Also, drives?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($145.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($144.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($144.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($132.67 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Seagate 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Amazon)

Case: NZXT H630 ATX Full Tower Case ($135.99 @ Mwave)

Power Supply: NZXT HALE90 V2 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($168.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $1663.58

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-01 14:17 EST-0500)

I went with that PSU since it matches the case really well. GPU is a place holder really, will change depending what is on sale.

Not sure on cooling, I was just gonna use stock since I don't plan to OC (or OC much).

Should also note, I don't actually have a desktop.... so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. I enumerated this list just from researching around.

---

Omitting some stuff:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($145.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: NZXT HALE90 V2 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($168.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $1149.94

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-01 14:25 EST-0500)

Removed drives + case. Kept PSU and GPU as placeholder.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

Thanks, I need just those 4 cause I will use the drives from the laptop. I already have all the peripherals. The GPU will be purchased separately probably next month... for now I can live with the iGPU if I choose option 1. (Times like these I wish I were in the States, damn those prices are low...)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Thanks, I need just those 4 cause I will use the drives from the laptop. I already have all the peripherals. The GPU will be purchased separately probably next month... for now I can live with the iGPU if I choose option 1. (Times like these I wish I were in the States, damn those prices are low...)

I'd proxy for ya but I'unno how the shipping would be from here to Greece. The mobo/CPU/RAM wouldn't be bad since it's light. PSU wouldn't be horrible I guess. Still might be cheaper than the price there lol.

A friend uses the iGPU on his 3570K and it works decently enough in the mean time.

Even though I would save a lot with the current currency (€1000 -> $1333), import taxes (21%) shipping cost and having to deal with customs and waiting time kills it for me...

Ah forgot about VAT. That is so rough ;-;

--

Back to topic, hopefully someone that actually has owned a desktop can give some input.

• Founder
I most likely will end up with the following setup:

CPU Intel i7 4770K €308
Mobo Asus Maximus VI Formula €293
PSU Corsair AX Series 1200i Digital €325
RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB CL11 2400 €200
Cooler Corsair H100i €108
GPU Gigabyte AMD R9 290 4G (probably next month) €380

Total: €1234 (€1614)

That memory is overkill. I suggest going to something cheaper. You can also save by cutting to a ~850W PSU unless you want to be safe for a possible xfire upgrade. If you can cut in these areas you may be able to jump up to a 290X over the 290.

Also if you get a GPU right away there's no reason to go haswell and you can save by getting an IVB system.

Doesn't the 4930K outperform 4770K, without the already legendary Haswell throttling?

For those that haven't already seen it, I thought this video was very enlightening... to the point that I almost feel like burning calories hoping for an unlocked BIOS for the Alienware 18 is a waste of time with respect to squeezing more performance from the 4930MX CPU.

Edit: I just read in the OP the budget is 1300 and there is a big difference in cost between those two CPUs. If gaming (not overclocking and benching) is the primary goal, the €230 saved might be better spent on PSU or cooling, or not spent at all in order to stay within budget.

Damn... Stam... how did you kill your good ol' R2? Your list looks fine, though RAM prices are crazy atm, you might be able to save 100€ if you can get them second-hand. Btw, I have two 2x4 GB Corsair 1866 CL9 kits here that aren't in use... ;)

If you want to go overclocking then forget about the 4770k and go for a X79 platform. 3930k shouldn't be too expensive now.

Great choice with the PSU, that's top-notch. For a single card system it's overkill though, I'm using the AX 860i which can be pushed up to about 1000W, works fine so far.

• Founder

I would go for the X79 chipset but for a good mobo I need to spend €450+ and the cpu is more expensive as well (previous generation is ok) so for about the same performance and not caring to hit 5 Ghz OC, I think 4770K is more than enough. Yeah RAM is overkill, corsair 8 GB CL9 1866 new is around €85 here, big diff compared to €200... I might get yours Marco... now the question is, can a vbios unlock the 290 to 290X?

• Founder
What does everybody think about wireless electricity? Like charging things wirelessly and wirelessly powering everything, Tesla tried and fafiled a long time ago, but I think we could do it now a days.

What does this have to do with the thread? Enjoy the infraction.

Sent from my GT-N7000

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
Ok an update

I ended up with the following setup
CPU Intel i7 4770K €308
Mobo Asus Maximus VI Extreme €357
PSU XFX 1000W Pro Series 80 Plus Platinum €228
RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB CL11 2400 €116
Cooler Corsair H100i €108
Case Corsair obsidian 750d €175

Total 1.292

I didn't go with the Corsair 1200i PSU because it was in backorder until after X-mas... couldn't wait for that long. The case will arrive probably by the end of the next week. Right now I have everything assemled on my desk but without a case it's just a mess... pics later today

Cool build! Look forward to seeing pics of the final product.

You don't need a case, just mount it on the wall!

http://www.**************/t/1424387/gallery-build-log-ultimate-wall-mount-rig-maxxplanck-v2-completed

Edit: didn't know that was an unallowed site.. it's a particular OC site.....

• Founder

Unfortunately, the psu was faulty and once I plugged it in, it made a huge spark with smoke coming from the front next to the switch and died...

At this point I will have to call them and see if I gonna get a refund or a replacement, cause those PSUs are not in stock and will be avail after Xmas...

• Founder

At this point since you aren't getting a GPU till January anyway it might work out better for you. The PC was pretty gimped without a proper GPU. I think half the thrill of building a new PC is when the GPUs show up in brand new boxes and you unpack them..I love it.

• 2 weeks later...

For CPU cooler I'd recommend Phanteks PH-TC14PE. It's the best tower CPU air cooler I have ever owned and in the past I have owned nearly all the top end CPU coolers from the most reputable manufacturers in the cooler market (Thermalright, Noctua, Prolimatech...). Just make sure your case is large enough before buying.

And for PSU my recommendation would definitely be Seasonic Platinum series. If you got no plans to go SLI, Seasonic P-660 is an excellent choice.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Founder

The desktop is finally complete

euby.jpg

installed them

70ic.jpg

and run a couple of benchmarks

cwbn.jpg

lqno.jpg

dqm6.jpg

Unfortunately my CPU needs 1.4V for 4.6Ghz OC... but oh well.... it could be worse I guess.

GPU temps never exceeded 76C on either VRMs or core @ 1150/1300 1.2V but they need more voltage for sure since artifacts are present at those clocks...

Yeah that CPU isn't very good. At least you didn't get one of those duds that can't get over 4.2ghz no matter what.

It'd be so cool if intel actually tested their parts and sold the superior ones as the top end chips, instead of having their default clocks so low than every single chip can be a top bin chip, and thus garbage gets sold as top end.