Smallest Laptop with Top End GPU

Does anyone know the smallest laptop with a high end gpu (680m, 780m, 7970m, 8970m)?

If the smallest is a 17" notebook is that because a sub 17" would be inadequate for cooling? Or is it simply not large enough to accommodate the GPU? Thoughts.

The msi gt60 has a 780m and it is 15.6 inch

I agree that the P150SM is the best price/performance laptop and massively configurable.

The GT60 as pointed out above runs a single fan cooling mechanism so tends to run hotter but from what I've heard quieter than the the Clevo's which are pretty noisy.

Just be aware however that these laptops is still pretty big, probably about x2 the thickness and weight of your Y400. Not really that much between any of the top GPU laptops portability wise in my mind.

That said I love being able to take my gaming rig with me everywhere I made the move from desktops about 5 years ago and love it. Just get a bit of weight training every time i walk out the door :)

Hi,

15.6 inch laptops are about the smallest size you would get with high-end GPU's like the 680M and 780M.

As mentioned, MSI has the GT60-20D with a 4GB 780M as well as the GT60-0NE with a 4GB 680M.

But yes, these laptops do run quite hot.

• 4 weeks later...

Both the Clevo P150SM and P157SM would be a great fit as Khenglish stated.

With that being said, if applicable i would jump up to at least a 16inch as they seem to stay a bit cooler. If its going to be a stationary laptop, just get a cooler and go for it ;)

• 4 months later...

There are some options this year. I think the new razer blade with GTX 870M is thin and powerful. The GS60 870M version is also very thin and light, while a little larger and heavier than the new razer blade.

Hmm do you think a high class Laptop with a minimal Design is worth ?? the Sager Razer Blade and the Gs 60 with the 870M Kepler Variant are beasts... but they get very hot about 90 degrees even with an undervolted bios ... I would go on a 860M for the maximal performance ... durability etc ... I dont think that an 870 M in such a small Laptop can last very long in extreme conditions, wear and tear included.

I dunno Fox, I've been running my P150SM-a with the 870M 6gb, playing Watch_Dogs on ultra settings, and while I haven't logged more than 2hrs continuous playing, the temps never got to 90 degrees.. those fans are noisy for a reason I guess!

That is nice to hear :). I own a msi gs60 with an 860m graphics card, temps are in the 70 degree range. The guys with the msi gs60 pro and the 870m Graphic card, reach temps up to 90 degree even with modified stock bios maybe your laptop have better cooling

I really like my Lenovo y510p. Its still heavy but its a 15.6 in 1080p screen with two 750m's in SLI. I wouldnt stack it against a 770 but the each card does come with 2GB of GDDR5 making it easy to play most games at a high resolution. Overall power, performance, and a sub $1000 price tag (got mine for $800) it is a killer deal. I think the current gen units ship with a 755m.

• 3 weeks later...