P150EM 680M GTX and powersupply not enough watt with OC?

6zumlachen

Hi everybody,

So i got some questions for those with experience...cause i cant really find a answer to this,

I tested the 680M GTX with the nice vbios from the forum 1,025v / 1,050v.

I wasnt able to get the GPU core stable above 950 Mhz while other people can reach 1000 core clock on 680m gtx.

the 950Mhz are stable but when i try go up it doesnt work. I flashed the 1,050v to test and its still crashing in 3dmark 11/ Vantage.

even 960-970 is not stable with 1,050... the Temps arent the problem, i got the laptop open to test and its still crashing even after using 100% FAN MODE (no Dust):confuse:

So could it be my power supply 180W that is not enough? even though i use i7 3610qm @_@

i got 2x same power supply and i was thinking if there is a way to fusion them...i saw somewhere a connector mod to fusion 2x 180W power supply from p150em but i dont remember where.

• 2 weeks later...

Each DIE / transistors on the Core are different. Some may successfully overclock their GPU, others won't really be able to do so, as the GPU's DIE is to bad for it.

There are some nice OC-Articles on the net, explaining why some people can OC a certain CPU, and why others with the same CPU can't.

It's just a matter of quality. Each CPU is completely different in terms of quality. At the end of the production, the quality decides which "version" the processor is. if it's good -> great CPU with lots of MHZ, if it's bad -> cheap CPU, low MHZ. Same applies to GPU's of course.

I wouldn't be so sure about it being the power supply. It could also be a secure-mode of the GPU. Not enough power or something like that.

I had such "power-off" things on my tower-pc as well when i was messing aroung with my graphics card.

Don't focus on the power supply.

What do you mean by crash? If the laptop is suddenly powering off without warning then the PSU is shutting off.

no not shutting off just crashing in 3dmark 11 when i OC the graphiccard.... and its with 1050v mod and most people can get it to 1000mhz gpu while i get only around 960 but right now i modded something and i can go to 980 Mhz getting about 8000 points in 3dmark 11 with 3610qm and 680m gtx not sure if its good thought most people get higher but i was thinking its the psu not giving enough power. Because the temps are low...

• 2 weeks later...

If the PSU is too weak what will happen is the PSU will switch off briefly, forcing the system to switch to battery. If the PSU does not kick back in after about 2 seconds the laptop will power off.

You do not seem to be describing this, so the PSU seems OK with the level of overclocking you are doing.

If the PSU is too weak what will happen is the PSU will switch off briefly, forcing the system to switch to battery. If the PSU does not kick back in after about 2 seconds the laptop will power off.

You do not seem to be describing this, so the PSU seems OK with the level of overclocking you are doing.

i just dont know what to do...i got money and want to upgrade the 150EM the best possible way. I am not able to find modded PSU so i could buy the 3940xm which would help with performance. Also i probably got the worst 680M GTX on planet. only stable at 950 and thats only possible with 1025vbios if i try 1050vbios and up it to 970 its crashing haha and i dont think its the Temp... i had it open with a coolingpad still nothing. Well i love my P150EM but i might buy a new laptop. I am not satisfied... ;(

Khenglish if i buy the alienware psu from ebay where do i get the adapter for 150EM ? or did u mod it urself? like you cut the end of AW PSU cable and connected them with the clevo....

i just dont know what to do...i got money and want to upgrade the 150EM the best possible way. I am not able to find modded PSU so i could buy the 3940xm which would help with performance. Also i probably got the worst 680M GTX on planet. only stable at 950 and thats only possible with 1025vbios if i try 1050vbios and up it to 970 its crashing haha and i dont think its the Temp... i had it open with a coolingpad still nothing. Well i love my P150EM but i might buy a new laptop. I am not satisfied... ;(

Khenglish if i buy the alienware psu from ebay where do i get the adapter for 150EM ? or did u mod it urself? like you cut the end of AW PSU cable and connected them with the clevo....

There is no adapter that I am aware of. Also using an AW PSU is a bit more complicated since to get over 240W and use the full 330W you need to operate on the PSU itself by connecting the ID line (green wire) to GND (black wire).

Also if getting a new CPU get the 3920xm over the 3940xm. Saves you a ton of money and the higher default speeds on the 3940xm do not matter since the P150EM allows overclocking with the right BIOS.

There is no adapter that I am aware of. Also using an AW PSU is a bit more complicated since to get over 240W and use the full 330W you need to operate on the PSU itself by connecting the ID line (green wire) to GND (black wire).

Also if getting a new CPU get the 3920xm over the 3940xm. Saves you a ton of money and the higher default speeds on the 3940xm do not matter since the P150EM allows overclocking with the right BIOS.

yes already got Prema BIOSMOD and i also run my Kingston hyperX 8gb + 4gb from 1600 to 2000.. i overclocked them and 2133 is not stable even if i put up timings but 2000 with 11 11 11 33 is stable. Well the only problem is how to mod a alienware PSU @_@ so i could overclock the 3920 + 680M. One more question khenglish. Since my 680M isnt that good and only stable at 950 core and memory +550 do you think the overclock is low so maybe the 180W psu could handle the OC from 680m + 3920xm ? maybe i dont even need a new one i dont know.

yes already got Prema BIOSMOD and i also run my Kingston hyperX 8gb + 4gb from 1600 to 2000.. i overclocked them and 2133 is not stable even if i put up timings but 2000 with 11 11 11 33 is stable. Well the only problem is how to mod a alienware PSU @_@ so i could overclock the 3920 + 680M. One more question khenglish. Since my 680M isnt that good and only stable at 950 core and memory +550 do you think the overclock is low so maybe the 180W psu could handle the OC from 680m + 3920xm ? maybe i dont even need a new one i dont know.

No the 180W can't. About the most a 180W can handle is no CPU overclock, and GPU overclocked without any extra voltage.

No the 180W can't. About the most a 180W can handle is no CPU overclock, and GPU overclocked without any extra voltage.

Hi Khenglish,

On ebay theres a seller for 3920xm but he 2 version of it with price differennce 100 +- one around 360 euro the other 470 euro. The cheap one says QS and the expensive one says OEM.

Could you explain me if this means bad OC for the cheap one? they explained me but i dont trust people who try to sell ;) . They only said :

1.OEM is identical with retails without the fancy box. 470 EURO

2.QS is short for quality sample, it is the best version of Engineering sample,identical performance as retail CPU ,we provide 1-3 years warranty. important different with ES CPU is 1, QS show CPU model in BIOS and windows computer property.ES does not show CPU model, only speed . 2 QS has same stepping as OEM, ES has earlier stepping than QS and OEM. 360 EURO

I believe the QS is less oc able i am not sure tho.

also he wants 60 euro ( around 80 $) for the copper cooling how much did u pay?

he cant provide me a PSU tho :/ would you be able to mod one for me ofc for a price!

Hi Khenglish,

On ebay theres a seller for 3920xm but he 2 version of it with price differennce 100 +- one around 360 euro the other 470 euro. The cheap one says QS and the expensive one says OEM.

Could you explain me if this means bad OC for the cheap one? they explained me but i dont trust people who try to sell ;) . They only said :

1.OEM is identical with retails without the fancy box. 470 EURO

2.QS is short for quality sample, it is the best version of Engineering sample,identical performance as retail CPU ,we provide 1-3 years warranty. important different with ES CPU is 1, QS show CPU model in BIOS and windows computer property.ES does not show CPU model, only speed . 2 QS has same stepping as OEM, ES has earlier stepping than QS and OEM. 360 EURO

I believe the QS is less oc able i am not sure tho.

also he wants 60 euro ( around 80 $) for the copper cooling how much did u pay?

he cant provide me a PSU tho :/ would you be able to mod one for me ofc for a price!

470 euro is insane. The cheapest I see is this for 399 USD: Intel i7 3920XM 2 9GHz Turbo 3 8GHz SR0T2 Mobile CPU Big Sale Limited Qty | eBay

From what I've seen you can go OEM or QS. They seem to perform identically. This one is OEM.

Also you can get the cooler for $60 here: Clevo Laptop Parts :: P150HM/P170HM :: CPU Heatsink for P150HM/P170HM - R&J Technology, Clevo Barebone Notebook kits, Laptop and desktop system builder

The P170HM cooler is identical to the P170EM cooler. You MUST select P170HM and not P150HM, since the P150HM is aluminum.

470 euro is insane. The cheapest I see is this for 399 USD: Intel i7 3920XM 2 9GHz Turbo 3 8GHz SR0T2 Mobile CPU Big Sale Limited Qty | eBay

From what I've seen you can go OEM or QS. They seem to perform identically. This one is OEM.

Also you can get the cooler for $60 here: Clevo Laptop Parts :: P150HM/P170HM :: CPU Heatsink for P150HM/P170HM - R&J Technology, Clevo Barebone Notebook kits, Laptop and desktop system builder

The P170HM cooler is identical to the P170EM cooler. You MUST select P170HM and not P150HM, since the P150HM is aluminum.

im from germany and i believe ill pay alot import taxes. Germans -_- reminds me of buying my notebook from the usa for 999$ and when it came i had to go to customs and paid another 300$ :)

What would you recommend as a higher wattage PSU for the P150EM, for someone who wants to overclock a 3720QM (at least as much as it allows via turbo mults) and a 680M as far as possible? The P170's 220W PSU?

What would you recommend as a higher wattage PSU for the P150EM, for someone who wants to overclock a 3720QM (at least as much as it allows via turbo mults) and a 680M as far as possible? The P170's 220W PSU?

You could use that PSU, but a cheaper alternative is the 240W AW PSU. The part number is PA-9E. Ebay and amazon have it. You also could try just using the 180W since you don't have an xm CPU. If your PSU isn't turning off on you then it's strong enough, and getting a stronger one will not help anything.

You could use that PSU, but a cheaper alternative is the 240W AW PSU. The part number is PA-9E. Ebay and amazon have it. You also could try just using the 180W since you don't have an xm CPU. If your PSU isn't turning off on you then it's strong enough, and getting a stronger one will not help anything.

Thanks. I'm just planning ahead, since I'm in the process of upgrading from a 3610QM+7970M to 3720QM+680M. I'll definitely wait for testing before purchasing a new one. As I understand it, overclocking the 3720QM puts it at 55-65W TDP (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Would you guess that the 180W PSU would be enough for this, and a highly overclocked/overvolted 680M?

Thanks. I'm just planning ahead, since I'm in the process of upgrading from a 3610QM+7970M to 3720QM+680M. I'll definitely wait for testing before purchasing a new one. As I understand it, overclocking the 3720QM puts it at 55-65W TDP (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Would you guess that the 180W PSU would be enough for this, and a highly overclocked/overvolted 680M?

It probably won't be enough, but there's no harm in trying the 180W PSU.

Why the graphics card switch? 1.1ghz is very good for a 7970m. That roughly equals the performance of an average 680m overvolted and overclocked to the max.

It probably won't be enough, but there's no harm in trying the 180W PSU.

Why the graphics card switch? 1.1ghz is very good for a 7970m. That roughly equals the performance of an average 680m overvolted and overclocked to the max.

Because I've been offered the same amount of money for my 7970M, as I could buy a 680M for on eBay, so I'm basically swapping cards for no cost. Might as well get a small performance boost, the Nvidia drivers and software features, and double the VRAM.

BTW would the AW 240W PSU require modification, as the other AW PSU in this thread did?

Because I've been offered the same amount of money for my 7970M, as I could buy a 680M for on eBay, so I'm basically swapping cards for no cost. Might as well get a small performance boost, the Nvidia drivers and software features, and double the VRAM.

BTW would the AW 240W PSU require modification, as the other AW PSU in this thread did?

The connector still needs to be changed, but you don't have to do anything to the ID line.