M17x R2 5870m Crossfire enabled only getting 5fps

ewoxas

Hi, I have had my M17x R2 for around 2 years. Early this year I noticed fps drops form 50fps to 5fps in game that occurs for a few seconds randomly. I suspected it was overheating and I cleaned the heatsinks and repasted both the gpus.

The problem still persisted and it got to the point where I would instantly get 5-10fps and massive lagging in games like Far Cry 3 and Battlefield 3, which i used to get around 40-60fps last time. I found that when i disabled crossfire, the problem went away but my fps was obviously not as high as it used to be with crossfire enabled

I contacted dell and they replaced both my gpus 3 times, my motherboard 3 times, and even my CPU and they did a clean install of windows. I just received my laptop from servicing and hoped that the problem went away but unfortunately it was not fixed.I have updated all my drivers. I can only play games with crossfire disabled as enabling it makes games unplayable.

I have no idea what is causing this problem and I am not that great with computers. Any help would be appreciated.