Lenovo Y510p Secureboot and bios stuffs

Proxyep

Just wondering 2 things

1. Is it possible to permanently remove this "secure boot" nonsense? It is analogous to say a locked bootloader on an android phone?

2. how does one go round disabling it, (im trying to install a linux distro and I keep getting some stupid errors

3. is there a 3rd party bios available? Would I even want such a thing?

you can easily disable secureboot in bios, if you want, you can even disable uefi boot and use old style bios booting. I am using UEFI with dualboot windows and linux without any issues....I just press f12 during startup and then I can select if I want to start windows or linux. It's even easier than before, since I don't have to do magic with grub and/or windows loader as before

odd, I really can't seem to find the option to disable secureboot in the bios.

I have seen it on my Samsung ATIV win8 tab and I managed to disable secure boot but the option simply doesn't seem to be there for me =(

Can anyone take a pic of thier Y510p bios for me? The only option I have is for UEFI Secure boot or legacy but that doesn't seem to help me

first, you need to set OS optimized defaults on the EXIT tab in bios to "other OS", save bios settings and restart. Then you will have on the SECURITY tab option to set secure boot to disabled. You might need to reset setup mode and restore factory keys to disable it.

• 1 year later...
Just wondering 2 things

1. Is it possible to permanently remove this "secure boot" nonsense? It is analogous to say a locked bootloader on an android phone?

2. how does one go round disabling it, (im trying to install a linux distro and I keep getting some stupid errors

3. is there a 3rd party bios available? Would I even want such a thing?

not sure if it is the same on the y510p or not, but on the y410p you press F2 at POST to go into bios setup then the security tab and there is a secure boot section and you disable it. this will disable it until you re-enable it. i also found that i had to enable legacy support for boot devices to see usb, optical, and external drives during boot. As someone said you press F12 at POST to get to the boot menu.

• 2 weeks later...

With your Linux setup have you had any Bluetooth issues? I had Linux mint dual booted with Windows 8.1 and it works fine in Windows 8.1 and my other machine with Linux Mint but does not automatically connect to Linux on this machine with dual boot.

• 3 weeks later...

OP: Which linux distro are you trying to install? UEFI support is a pain, but many of the newer distros do seem to support it. I was able to get an install of the newest linux mint, as well as arch linux using it.