y500 display refresh rate 59Hz to 60Hz

danalec

You should've googled it first. Microsoft says...

Certain monitors report a TV-compatibility timing of 59.94Hz. Therefore, Windows 7 exposes two frequencies, 59Hz and 60Hz, for every resolution that is supported at that timing. The 59Hz setting makes sure that a TV-compatible timing is always available for an application such as Windows Media Center. The 60Hz setting maintains compatibility for applications that expect 60Hz.

In Windows 7, when a user selects 60Hz, the OS stores a value of 59.94Hz. However, 59Hz is shown in the Screen refresh rate in Control Panel, even though the user selected 60Hz.

Regards

• Thumbs Up 1

One more great point of the Y500 is that is has been discovered elsewhere on this forums that it's possible to overclock the LCD quite a bit using the EVGA Pixel Clock tool. I keep mine at 75-85hz. I've had it at 100hz + before it started showing artifacts and strange behaviors around 115hz.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Well i dont know if this would apply, but i did purchase a Asus VG248QE and its benefit was the 144 Hz refresh rate, but was only available with the displayport and DVID ports, not the HDMI. I used a DVID port to HDMI cable and got the refresh rates up to 115 with out too many problems, at 120 it started to flash around. but 115Hz isnt too bad. Kinda wished that these had a Displayport =[

• 8 months later...
Well i dont know if this would apply, but i did purchase a Asus VG248QE and its benefit was the 144 Hz refresh rate, but was only available with the displayport and DVID ports, not the HDMI. I used a DVID port to HDMI cable and got the refresh rates up to 115 with out too many problems, at 120 it started to flash around. but 115Hz isnt too bad. Kinda wished that these had a Displayport =[

sorry to bump old thread but i have the same monitor and bought the hdmi to DVI as well. But I dont know how to increase refresh rates. Ive tried everything. How did you do this? Im getting really tired of my 60hz on a 144hz monitor...

• 2 weeks later...

I tried overclocking my refresh rate using EVGA's pixel clock tool in EVGA PrecisionX but it would cause instability in some applications. By that I mean the screen would actually go black until I was able to close the application without seeing anything, not even ALT + TAB would help.To make matters worse, for some applications this would even happen with pixel clocks as low as 75Hz so I just make sure I'm at a flat 60.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...