Is there anyway to disable Optimus?

Okanekami

I have my M14xR1 for over 2 years now and now I had enough of the Optimus. When trying out Saints Row 4, I set the graphic option to auto-detect, and guess what happen, fps is like 3. So I reset the game, make sure that I choose Nvidia card, same thing happened. Is this because 555m can't handle the game, because I really don't thing that's the case. I know it's old and all, but still, it's not that old, right? Also, no matter what I do it seem as if PhysX must be process by CPU or something.

So really I have two questions. First, is the one in the tittle and second, is it really Optimus or is it my m14x?

Go to NVIDIA control panel and find Saints Row 4 under manage 3D settings. Make the preferred graphics processor your 555m. Change Multi-display to single display performance mode. Set power management to prefer maximum performance. In essence, tinker around with these settings and leave anything to application controlled for a setting if it's available. It's not that hard since tips are shown below for each setting. Save those settings then restart computer. After that, open up Saints Row 4 and check its settings. Saints Row 4 is a recently launched game so either the settings you've put it on are too high for your GPU or they're not optimised. You could use Geforce Experience to optimise your settings and I'm assuming you have the latest drivers for your card.

These are the only things that have happened with me when I get subpar performance.

I'm not entirely sure about disabling Optimus since you have essentially two video cards. One which is the integrated GPU in your CPU and the other being your dedicated 555m. The integrated one is used for your display so I think disabling it won't be such a good idea unless it's possible to completely turn off the integrated GPU and use the dedicated one for everything.

I have my M14xR1 for over 2 years now and now I had enough of the Optimus. When trying out Saints Row 4, I set the graphic option to auto-detect, and guess what happen, fps is like 3. So I reset the game, make sure that I choose Nvidia card, same thing happened. Is this because 555m can't handle the game, because I really don't thing that's the case. I know it's old and all, but still, it's not that old, right? Also, no matter what I do it seem as if PhysX must be process by CPU or something.

So really I have two questions. First, is the one in the tittle and second, is it really Optimus or is it my m14x?

try to update your driver, or you can go to nvidia control panel and select saint row, you can adjust what to use

• 1 month later...