Clevo or Alienware?

FurVik

So currently I'm looking to get a new laptop preferably a gaming one due to the performance on those monsters, I mainly play LoL, dota 2, l4d, crysis 3, tomb raider etc. I have narrowed my list down to 2 different types of laptops but before you know them can someone answer me if a refurbished laptop is worth it? I see brand new Alienware 18s for 2.5k and refurbished ones for 1.6k this being the Alienware 18 2013 model..

Alienware 18 2013 (refurbished 1.6k)

i7 4700

Nvidia 765x SLI

1080p

Clevo p157sm (brand new 1.5k)

i7 4700

nvidia 765

1080p

Im also crazy about looks of a laptop I usually aim for the stealthy looking ones :/ asus g750jw.... But that has no access to the internals so scrap that idea. Out of those two laptops which is the better one for me? Thanks alot

• Thumbs Up 1

I would go with the Alienware because of the build quality, cooling performance and Dell's excellent support. There's nothing wrong with a refurbished laptop. I say grab it before someone else does! :D

edit: Also, since you mention access to the internals, I'm assuming you want upgradability, from the past Alienware's seem to be more forgiving when it comes to a different brand of GPU ie. they are able to accept both Dell and CLEVO cards without too much fuss.

So currently I'm looking to get a new laptop preferably a gaming one due to the performance on those monsters, I mainly play LoL, dota 2, l4d, crysis 3, tomb raider etc. I have narrowed my list down to 2 different types of laptops but before you know them can someone answer me if a refurbished laptop is worth it? I see brand new Alienware 18s for 2.5k and refurbished ones for 1.6k this being the Alienware 18 2013 model..

i7 4700

Nvidia 765x SLI

1080p

i7 4700

nvidia 765

1080p

Im also crazy about looks of a laptop I usually aim for the stealthy looking ones :/ asus g750jw.... But that has no access to the internals so scrap that idea. Out of those two laptops which is the better one for me? Thanks alot

A 765m is not exactly top notch. It wont run any of the newer games on ultra. I dont think an 18inch alienware is exactly stealthy either. Its a huge laptop that is meant for high performance but the parts you picked out arent exactly top notch. Heres a review for the 765m.

If you are absolutely crazy about the looks of a laptop , than get an msi gs70 STEALTH or a razer blade. Those are the best looking gaming laptops I know.

i7 4700

Nvidia 765x SLI

1080p

i7 4700

nvidia 765

1080p

if you're crazy about the looks of a laptop, alienware suits you more than clevo. besides the 100$ differences for SLI is worth though

• 3 weeks later...

It's gotta be Alienware better looks, better built quality plus you can save a lot on refurbished from delloutlet.com . Bought from them before very happy make sure u look for coupon (slickdeals.net) this way u can save even more.

I'd go with Clevo/Sager.

Why? Looks IMHO better, same loud level when running 100% fans. Better (aloot) NTSC 72% Matte display (it's an upgrade in some shops). Fingerprint reader and you can always upgrade it (even cooling in some models or just modify). You can't mod a loot Alienware coz of warranty.

Choose Clevo:

• for better performance for price,
  • for larger/more modern selection of components,
  • for better upgradability/internal modifications.

Choose Alienware:

• for style,
  • for support.*

*Support may not necessarily be better than your local Clevo reseller/manufacturer.

Build quality of both laptops are on par with each other.

In your case, it depends on whether you want a mobile laptop (if that's the case, go with Clevo, due to the smaller size and weight). If mobility doesn't matter, go with Alienware (purely due to the fact that it runs SLI) or look into the various desktop options available.

You have two very close choices. Refurbished isn't a bad thing but it is an unknown thing. They can't sell it if it doesn't work. The cause of having the laptop sent back and repaired could have been as trivial as a scratch on the screen, or bad RAM. One thing I am wondering is if that refurbished is all covered in warranty, I am assuming so. That choice is just then your peace of mind. (Just knowing there WAS something wrong and they "FIXED" it)

As for the competitors, I think Alienware has premiums for their products and that you are buying a name. A friend has had a hell of a time dealing with them when he bought his laptop and their customer service was lacking.

I have only read good things about Clevo's. I own one and it is powerful but it has some quirks that must have only been present in my computer. That gfx card will handle anything out there right now, you don't NEED SLI.

As last words, both will perform well. If the Alienware is warrantied and you are fine with that peace of mind "refurbished" that is a good deal. But I personally sway to the clevo :P

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar choice, Alienware or Clevo. I went with clevo, because with the money I saved (because Clevo is generally cheaper) I was able to buy a bigger SSD. I have owned Dell laptops before, and I expected the Clevo to be of a lesser build quality, it is a bit more squicky but it's still a sturdy laptop. My little brother stood on it once (closed) and it survived :P. The dual 675M's make the Alienware the faster choice.

Personally I'd say: get the Alienware for performance. This is assuming that you do have warranty on the Alienware. I work at a local Dutch hardware/laptop store that also sells Clevos and other gaming laptops, and from experience I know that 30-50% needs at least one part replaced within 4 years when frequently used.

• 3 weeks later...

It really depends on the kind of money you're working with. If we're talking about a brand new Alienware vs a brand new Clevo, you are definitely paying a premium with the Alienware for the looks, brand name, etc. However, regardless of what you choose, you WILL be getting good build quality with very acceptable cooling. If you absolutely had to choose between the refurbished Alienware 18 and the Clevo p157sm, you would without a doubt be getting a better value with the Alienware. Getting a second 765 SLI for just $100 is not bad at all. However, you are obviously compromising portability a very fair bit going with the much larger option.

If mobility is at all important to you, getting a brand new P157SM with a GTX 780M for about $1800 would be a great option. Not only would you be getting better graphical power from the 780M than the SLI 765M's, but you would also be getting an overall better experience due to using only a single card as opposed to two (less heat, no compatibility problems, etc), all in a much more mobile form factor. However, if you prefer the bigger screen and the flashy looks, I would say go ahead and snag that refurbished 18, because that's probably among the best deals you're going to find on any Alienware. You've probably already made your decision by now though. Hopefully whatever you've chosen, you're enjoying it :)

I would go defenely with Alienware 18, consider that; it has more potential, more upgrade expansion, great cooling, great design, also check if its in good condition before buyin and you feel satisfied with it. The other option is not horrible its just not the best.