Clevo or Alienware?

FurVik

I have an alienware 14, I only recommend alienwares because of the build quality. If you compare specs, they are almost the same but clevo is just a tad bit cheaper so more bang for your buck. Also, everyone is right, Dell support is great.

• Thumbs Up 1

i am also Alienware x17r3 owner, i like the design, good cooling solutions and easy maintain.

you can save much money if you buy a used one, and upgrade everything yourself.

will upgrade to 780m this weekend, need 5 postings to download vbios :positive:

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Many people here saying they receive great service from Alienware is primarily because many of the forum users are based in the USA and the UK.

I've lived in China for 17 years and now I'm in the UK. The service here in the UK is fantastic and is truly what everyone preaches in these forums. They are very helpful and persistent in solving your issues, as long as you have warranty.

In China, however, it was absolutely disgusting. I cannot begin to explain how awful the service is there. They broke more of my laptop than they fixed and they tried to charge me for most of it.

I am speaking truthfully and not out of spite; do not attempt to get them to fix your machine unless you have no other option. There is a very realistic chance they will end up screwing it up, which is what happened to me multiple times in just one month.

I can't say anything about Clevo service as I don't know enough about it.

Just something to keep in mind. Both Clevo and Alienware have the biggest bang, how much buck you want to shell out is up to you.

Things like aesthetics and build quality are subjective and possibly best to make your own decisions in those regards.

• 5 weeks later...

I love my M18x, at least when I'm not carrying it around - then I'm cursing it as it is heavy! Especially with the PSU. This is the price for carrying around performance, however I travel a lot so it's necessary.

I must agree with others on this forum, if you get a gaming rig you need to look beyond the 765's. According to notebookcheck this will get you around a 6400 3DMark GPU score. I get a 5830 score with this rig I can't even begin to play 2014 titles. The wife got me Far Cry 4 for Christmas and it's basically unplayable. It's a GPU upgrade for me to the 780 and I'd suggest you look at for something similar.

I have had a Clevo for around 3 years now. Got the 680m one. I have sent the laptop for servicing because of my own mistakes quite a few times. Never had any problem whatsoever with the customer support. They are very friendly. So going to alienware just for customer support really doesn't justify the price difference. And reg the 765 card, I would agree that you get the latest one there. Graphics card in mobile platform seem to be outdated almost every 12 months

Honestly I have the W230ss and it's a great machine and all but I would go for the one that has the best keyboard and mousepad. I love the keyboard on my w230ss but man I hate the mousepad , it's small inaccurate and just doesnt fit my taste... also I wished they had a better design on that model and that's something Clevo is missing and that's a wicked design! I would love if they when bare metal an and more cleanlooking like the acer nitro or razor blade 14 :)

So currently I'm looking to get a new laptop preferably a gaming one due to the performance on those monsters, I mainly play LoL, dota 2, l4d, crysis 3, tomb raider etc. I have narrowed my list down to 2 different types of laptops but before you know them can someone answer me if a refurbished laptop is worth it? I see brand new Alienware 18s for 2.5k and refurbished ones for 1.6k this being the Alienware 18 2013 model..

Alienware 18 2013 (refurbished 1.6k)

i7 4700

Nvidia 765x SLI

1080p

Clevo p157sm (brand new 1.5k)

i7 4700

nvidia 765

1080p

Im also crazy about looks of a laptop I usually aim for the stealthy looking ones :/ asus g750jw.... But that has no access to the internals so scrap that idea. Out of those two laptops which is the better one for me? Thanks alot

i suggest sli one

it has no optimus

I have bought alienware 17, and i had the same problem like you, Clevo Or Alienware, and i can tell you one thing Alienware is the best choice, i know that clevo have better performance/price, but alienware is alienware, there is nothing better ;)

I have both alienware and clevo.

First I bought the alienware m11x r1 and it toke 6 years before I felt the need of a new computer. I still have it today, and if I could go back in time I would have bought an alienware again.

My clevo is a very powerful computer, but alienware is not only about power, its about style, built quality, support, cool features. An Alienware have alot of small gift they dont tell you about, you just notices someday.

Once you go alienware you dont go back.

I recently purchased a refurbished Alienware 18. I have to admit I am extremely happy with the purchase. I put a Msata 256g ssd in it and loaded up windows 8 on it, and it runs rather well for all my MMO gaming. Sli, multiple hard drives, and still even has 2 ram slots open for me to fill whenever i get around to it. However, to be fair, I have no experience with Clevo.

I would not go for the Alienware these days, but considering how ancient this thread is, I'd imagine that debate on this is moot to the OP's concern. Overall, if I could buy a gaming/high performance laptop all over again, I would've gone for a Clevo. I have an M18x R2, myself. It's a beast, but it's not as easy to take apart, it's not as easy to modify, parts these days are not PnP compatible without some kind of tinkering or modification, by "parts," I mean GPUs for the most part. Clevos seem to have the best all-round value. Alienware has amazing build quality and it's SOLID, but Clevo takes the cake when it comes to hardware.

I remember eying a Sager when I was 18, but when I finally had the money to buy a laptop, the Sager I wanted wasn't around anymore. The type like the Eurocom Panther 5 that allows a desktop CPU. That's what I wanted, but I went for the M18x R2 instead due to REALLY wanting a gaming laptop. Once my M18x R2 has finally dried up and hits a major brick wall in terms of upgradeability compared to Clevo, I will sell it and save up for one of those jack of all trades laptops.

• 3 weeks later...

I chose Alienware (refurbished of course, new was a no-brainer for clevo) because I actually ended up getting better specs. for significantly less than the equivalent clevo at the time (australian prices are messed up). These days though, I would reconsider even with a good price due to the soldered CPU and GPU in their newer models :)

I had Clevo and now I have Alienware.... Nothing more than Alienware and this will be my next PC as well.

Why Alienware you may ask? Because it is better configured, with professional support and beautiful.

And - you can say "I have Clevo" - no one can understand and think "you have tablet?"

But when you can say "I *am* Alienware" - everyone will be impressed and thisk, that you are "the one" :D