g75vw HDD in optical bay doesnt always get detected.

the_dmx

• 1 month later...

Is it an SSD or regular spinning disk? I had this issue only with an SSD in the optical (low power use even compared to DVD i guess).

In any case, get intel rapid storage and click the performance tab then DISABLE power management for SATA. You will also want to modify your power plan for "turn off hard disk after" to a value of 0 or NEVER.

This should help keep the little bugger online. You might have better luck updating your HDDs / SSDs firmware. It might have something to do with the optical bay power cycling as well. Just trial and error until we know what drive you have.

• 3 months later...
**Typo in title: its a g55vw**

I've added another HDD after removing my DVD drive. Unfortunately the HDD isn't always seen. Usually every other boot.

Any Ideas on how to make this more reliable?

Thanks

This makes me nervous, do you have a link to your hdd bay? I just bought a generic one from Amazon hoping to throw a 2TB 2.5" in there. This makes me nervous now, but will post my results.