MSI GE70 - Upgrade CPU

Geoning

Hi

I can buy i7-3610QM for low price, but I am not sure if GE70 with i7 and i5 have this same mb.

I just want to be sure if it is the same situation as in PC, that I can change CPU without problems.

Actually I have got GE70 with i5.

MSI gave the same bios for i5/i7 version.

My GE70 was selling with i5-3210m (which I have bought), i5-3230m, i7-3610qm, i7-3630qm.

• Bios Modder
Hi

I can buy i7-3610QM for low price, but I am not sure if GE70 with i7 and i5 have this same mb.

I just want to be sure if it is the same situation as in PC, that I can change CPU without problems.

Actually I have got GE70 with i5.

MSI gave the same bios for i5/i7 version.

My GE70 was selling with i5-3210m (which I have bought), i5-3230m, i7-3610qm, i7-3630qm.

Yes, you can upgrade your GE70 from i5 to all model i7 (2 and 3 generation).

So laptop's CPU's are as PC's CPU's?

Thanks. :)

No, if you have a sandy bridge system (6 series chipset) you can't use a ivy bridge CPU (7 series chipset) and if you have a ivy bridge system you can't use a haswell CPU (8 series chipset).

This doesn't usually apply to desktop motherboards as the manufacturers usually release firmware and BIOS updates to support newer generation CPUs.

• Thumbs Up 1

No, if you have a sandy bridge system (6 series chipset) you can't use a ivy bridge CPU (7 series chipset) and if you have a ivy bridge system you can't use a haswell CPU (8 series chipset).

This doesn't usually apply to desktop motherboards as the manufacturers usually release firmware and BIOS updates to support newer generation CPUs.

I know it, but I just didn't be sure if MSI didnt lock motherboard for other CPUs.

For example.

If you buy GE70-0ND you MUST have i5+gtx660m, and if you want to change CPU have to have mb from i7 and CPU's from other MSI's laptop.

I want to buy i7 from Acer's laptop.

I know it, but I just didn't be sure if MSI didnt lock motherboard for other CPUs.

For example.

If you buy GE70-0ND you MUST have i5+gtx660m, and if you want to change CPU have to have mb from i7 and CPU's from other MSI's laptop.

I want to buy i7 from Acer's laptop.

The CPUs are all the same as far as I know except for engineering samples and qualifications samples, it doesn't matter if it's pulled from a different laptop. And the motherboard should be the same on the i5 and i7 versions.

• Thumbs Up 1

The CPUs are all the same as far as I know except for engineering samples and qualifications samples, it doesn't matter if it's pulled from a different laptop. And the motherboard should be the same on the i5 and i7 versions.

Now, I am sure.

Thank you. :)

• 6 months later...