I can't belive Dell Made it this difficult to upgrade

elixer33

I have a m17xR4 with a gtx 680m. I bought a 780m and now I find out that you have to flash your bios with a modded version. To make matters worse only one person on the whole internet is offering the modded bios. cudos to you guys but it's not easy to do. Anyone out there know a great site that teaches you how to mod bios?

• 4 weeks later...

I am running into a simulair issue with tring to upgrade my monitor to 3D. I am a bit worried about trying a modded bios to be honest but I dont have to many options at this point. from everywhere I was looking it was sopost to just be some driver updates. But honestly with the 680m, there is not to much better your able to go. The 680m is a pretty darn good card I wouldnt worry about upgrading for a while.

• 4 weeks later...

I think you are making it more difficult then it really is. I upgraded my m17xr3 to a 680m (not capable) but with a modded bios from the nice guys on here and an .inf file as well, I've never been happier with going beyond the boundaries.

I actually just did this to an M17x R4, actually wasnt difficult at all. The directions that are on this site are very easy to understand, the only thing I really had to do was to downgrade the BIOS back to A05 then upgrade to A11, then unlocked A11 BIOS. After that it's all installation stuff.

Have to agree with Leo14 here. I have upgraded my M17xR2 to a 770m from a 5870. Required a modded bios, some settings to be changed and the correct driver. I also had to mod the heatsink to improve cooling. But the pain was immediately lifted when the beast cranked into life. Couldn't be happier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...