Require assistance from those that own M18x - GPU 2 temp issues

Brian

• Founder
okay i ran it for 10 mins and gpu 1 sat at about 77 degrees stable and gpu bounced between 79 and 80 seems to be running fine for me

Thanks Justice! Could you please give it a try with 1.8.2? Here's the link: FurMark 1.8.2 download from Guru3D.com Remember, checkmark postfx, xtreme burn and displacement mapping and run it at 1920x1080p for about 10 minutes with 2 instances of GPU z open monitoring GPU 1 and 2. Also are you using the stock drivers or AMD 11.5?

Will do once I get a few its margherita ansod kenect night and most the crew showed up. So rapture cloaked itself in the closet so it does t get roswelled on its first night.

Off all day tomorrow will bench and test all day

• Thumbs Up 1

FYI. Here is my HWinfo pic. GPU 0: 79 GPU 1: 72

This was after running furmark for a full hour on the settings you gave. Your system might have a fluke. I've noticed the more times I've used furmark to "burn in" my cards they seem to have leveled out now and are running cooler than they were the first few times I've ran it. I'm running in the high 70's after a full hour of the most gpu intensive workout, so I'm satisfied that heat isn't an issue on my machine but 5150 Joker you may have an issue with your system.

I tested my laptop both on a cooling stand and laying flat on my desk. As long as the cards can suck air and exhaust it properly it didn't seem to make much of a difference. I'm ordering the coolermaster 19 just because of the hub and where I plan to use the laptop most of the time doesn't have good air flow (arm of leather home theater chair) so the coolermaster will give a good platform to balance on as well as provide cooling should i need it.

heater.th.png

• Founder

Thanks everyone for your tests. I've decided to return my M18x for a full refund and wait until June. Eric G. seems certain that the 6990 + new nVidia card (possibly 580M GTX) is being released so its worth waiting to find out.

Sad to see you guys return your machines, but at the end if what you pay for doesn't satisfy your needs is you absolute right to return it.

Hopefully you will give another chance to this machine in the future.

I would like to make a point that I hope because this incident we don't loose you both, you are a real asset to TI and to the whole Alienware community.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sad to see you guys return your machines, but at the end if what you pay for doesn't satisfy your needs is you absolute right to return it.

I would like to make a point that I hope because this incident we don't loose you both, you are a real asset to TI and to the whole Alienware community.

Appreciate it, I am definitely still a fan of Alienware after seeing the build quality, hopefully they can iron out some of the isolated issues or I can be luckier next time. :)

• Founder

Heh I'm not going anywhere since I'm a T|I owner. :) But as far as M18x goes, I will be re-ordering it again after E3 in June (June 7-9) to see if Dell introduces the 580M GTX and/or 6990M. I normally would not have done so but since my system is defective, I figure why not since my refund will take at least two weeks anyway. As for the M18x review, don't worry guys, I'll run a full gamut of benchmarks on this system + pics and vids before I return it. Whatever I don't finish, Michael will be able to fill in since his system has identical specs to mine.

Well said Brian and I know you are an integral part of TI, I just pointing out that you and littleone have massive experience when it comes to Alienware and I want to make sure we don't loose all that wisdom.

Who know maybe we would loose you guys to the HP machines(which would be a crime)

• Founder
Well said Brian and I know you are an integral part of TI, I just pointing out that you and littleone have massive experience when it comes to Alienware and I want to make sure we don't loose all that wisdom.

Who know maybe we would loose you guys to the HP machines(which would be a crime)

Gotcha and no way, HP doesn't have anything I'd want. In fact no other notebook maker does. If I were to give up on Alienware M18x, it would likely be in favor of an M14x + desktop combo.

Haha, trust me Brian has much more experience than me, I try to contribute what I can. Thank you for the kind comments though and I am repurchasing as well in June.

• Founder
Cancel button, here I come! xD

Don't cancel on the account of 2-3 of us having defective systems. Consider that there are thousands shipped globally so the defect rate is probably well within industry standards. With any new technology, there are bound to be problems.

I would not cancel, like Brian had said these seem to be isolated issues as others have had normal temps. On the other hand, if you want to wait for newer GPU options which appear imminent then you can decide what is best for you :)

Exactly.

Maybe I sound naive but I pray for a new screen option (RGB-LED, IPS, ?) toghether with the potentialy forthcoming GPU's... As long as we can dream it or believe in it, the land of fantasia will continue to exist… :32_002:

I wouldn't count on RGB LED/IPS until at least M18x-R2. Del sources its panels from other manufacturers and it has to wait on that option to become available. There WAS a 90% gamut 300nit display they passed on which makes me think they are looking at the bottom line rather than focusing on giving us the best. As for new GPUs, we'll find out come E3 in a few weeks.

Guys, is there an M18x owner that wants to contribute to HWiNFO32 ? ;)

I want to try to read the GPU2 fan speed too and need someone who will run a test build of HWiNFO32 and report back.

Guys, is there an M18x owner that wants to contribute to HWiNFO32 ? ;)

I want to try to read the GPU2 fan speed too and need someone who will run a test build of HWiNFO32 and report back.

I am getting mine starting tomorrow, if you haven't found anyone by that time just hit me, I be more than glad to assist.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks! Brian already did a test and it seems to work. However still needs more testing if all fans are reported correctly.

If it works properly, it might help to test the issue with GPU2 temperatures (GPU and GPU2 fan speeds)..

I have posted a new build (1257) in the HWiNFO32 section.

I am getting mine starting tomorrow, if you haven't found anyone by that time just hit me, I be more than glad to assist.
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

So I opened up my M18x again tonight because the memory temps on GPU 2 were hitting 100C. This time I decided to apply a thicker coat of MX4 and bend the heatsink down a bit towards the memory and press down on other areas of it to ensure it was all even. Once I put the system back together and ran GPU-Z + furmark, I noticed my temps were nearly identical for the cores after running furmark for 20 mins! I'm still getting an exchange because there's still other problems with my system so a replacement should take care of it (hopefully).

post-5-14494988059638_thumb.jpg

• Founder

nice! so it's just a matter of repasting, good to know..

when I looked at my 6970 I noticed that the heatsink doesn't sit very good on top of the memory. I can push it down with my fingers and when I release it it goes back up.

Ash, where's that mod ? :)

Haha, I had to get a desktop instead to get my higher 4k reads.

While I game a lot, I do game dev even more and the slower 4k's add up to a few hours each week. Trust me, I would love nothing more than an m18x, but I need full HDD speed for the price I would be paying.

From what Brian has described, the mod should be similar to the R2. Make sure that the VRM/MOSFET/Chokes/etc dont sit in the way of the heatsink as well. They should not be touching the heatsink at all. If they are, its pushing the heastink away from the core.

A solution to this is to take out the heatsink, and mark the areas of where the voltage stuff contacts the heatsink. Then, drill out and clean up these ares so they simply poke through the heatsink - making sure to keep away from any vapour chambers and heat pipes.

I did this to my R2, and the temps dropped another 4-5 degrees C over the standard retention mod.

-Ash

• Thumbs Up 1