M17XR4 upgrade GPU to GTX770M

Teldarius

Hello,

I try to install a GTX770M on my M17XR4, origin is a GTX660M.

Problem, I have read several forums looking for specific information, but it is difficult to make sense of things.

I seek a tutorial that shows all the stages of change.

Can you help me "how to".

thank you

R3/770M is not working @chiefule probably vBIOS related.

R4 BIOS settings -> Secure Boot disabled -> Legacy Mode enabled.

- Download A11 Driver Details | Dell US

- Connect the power cord - right click -> Run as Administrator M17R4A13WIN64

- Unlocked A11 BIOS flash, Method 2 (FPT) Bootable DOS USB Drive (files included) http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/1964-%5Bm17x-r4%5D-unlocked-bios-versions.html

- A11 Unlocked BIOS -> Advanced Menu>Disable IGP (Integrated Graphics)>Set Display to PEG>F10 save&exit.

Tech|Inferno Forums Rules

Here I put in attachment that gives me GPU-Z about the GTX770M.

I would also need the. Inf for this card. PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11E0&SUBSYS_05511028&REV_A1\4&13F92896&0&0008

How is flashing the bios FPT mode (I can not find the details of the tutorial).

The vbios on the card is good or bad.

thank you

post-20207-14494996581137_thumb.jpg

All Details are under Method 2 (recommended).

http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/5249-%5Bguide%5D-modding-nvidias-oem-inf-files.html under [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1] 2 (Win7) search for "%NVIDIA_DEV.11E0xxxx.1028% = Section, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11E0&SUBSYS_xxxx1028" replace xxxx with 0551.

[strings]

DiskID1 = "NVIDIA Windows (64 bit) Driver Library Installation Disk 1"

NVIDIA_DEV.11E0.xxxx.1028 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M " replace xxxx with 0551

All Details are under Method 2 (recommended).

http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/5249-%5Bguide%5D-modding-nvidias-oem-inf-files.html under [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1] 2 (Win7) search for "%NVIDIA_DEV.11E0xxxx.1028% = Section, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11E0&SUBSYS_xxxx1028" replace xxxx with 0551.

[strings]

DiskID1 = "NVIDIA Windows (64 bit) Driver Library Installation Disk 1"

NVIDIA_DEV.11E0.xxxx.1028 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M " replace xxxx with 0551

Thank you for these specifications J95,

I made the changes as listed on the post.

I am also looking for a way to flash the bios A11 unlocked in FPT (Méthod 2).

Thank you to those who help me.

Hello,

I flashed the bios according to FPT method described in a dedicated post, it always is fine and I now have access to many more options than before.

I also changed the "inf" file as described in the post J95.

Miantenant, the following steps in order:

-installation of the new graphics card

-go to the bios make changes (list?)

-reboot the PC

-install the modified driver.

Will I miss a step?

thank you

• 3 months later...
R3/770M is not working @chiefule probably vBIOS related.

R4 BIOS settings -> Secure Boot disabled -> Legacy Mode enabled.

- Download A11 Driver Details | Dell US

- Connect the power cord - right click -> Run as Administrator M17R4A13WIN64

- Unlocked A11 BIOS flash, Method 2 (FPT) Bootable DOS USB Drive (files included) http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/1964-%5Bm17x-r4%5D-unlocked-bios-versions.html

- A11 Unlocked BIOS -> Advanced Menu>Disable IGP (Integrated Graphics)>Set Display to PEG>F10 save&exit.

Tech|Inferno Forums Rules

Hello im new on the forum can you please help me please i think i Fuc.. up my m17r4 i misread what you explain to Taldarius and i turn off my Integrated Graphics now my m17r4 doesnt turn on any more keep beeping 8 times in the row there is anyway to fix that ??? i cannot even go to my bios anymore can you help me please ????

Hi, welcome to T|I.

Unlocked BIOS.

- Unplug power cord

- Remove battery

- Hold power button for 30 seconds

- Remove CMOS coin battery (next to GPU fan)

- Remove gtx 770m -> 2 screws only, there's no need to remove the heat sink.

- Reinsert CMOS battery

- Plug power cord

- Power on -> Beeps -> hold power button until shutdown.

- Power on -> F2 -> disable the integrated graphics - Second Advanced Menu -> Video Configuration -> disable IGP -> set display to PEG -> Exit menu 'Save Without Exit' -> shutdown.

- Reinsert gtx 770m.

- Power ON -> F2 -> shutdown.

- Reinsert Battery.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi, welcome to T|I.

Unlocked BIOS.

- Unplug power cord

- Remove battery

- Remove gtx 770m

- Reinsert CMOS battery

- Plug power cord

- Power on -> F2 -> disable the integrated graphics - Second Advanced Menu -> Video Configuration -> disable IGP -> set display to PEG -> Exit menu 'Save Without Exit' -> shutdown.

- Reinsert gtx 770m.

- Reinsert Battery.

YESSSSSS it work Thank you soooo much you are the Best

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Hi, welcome to T|I.

Unlocked BIOS.

- Unplug power cord

- Remove battery

- Reinsert CMOS battery

- Plug power cord

- Reinsert gtx 770m.

- Reinsert Battery.

The only way to do this is. i need unlock my bios?

i install a 770M on my laptop.

but i cant install the driver.

• 4 months later...

Hi there, can someone lend me a hand?

I successfully flashed the new BIOS and was able to disable IGP and enable PEG, but the nvidia 770m is not showing up in device manager, is that normal?

Also I used to be able to change settings in the BIOS but now it seems that the BIOS won't load.

When you guys talk about editing the .inf file, is that for the nvidia driver from dell's website or the most updated driver? I tried searching for those strings with the most updated driver but was unable to find them.

EDIT: I fixed the BIOS issue by following those directions on pulling out the card and CMOS, extremely confused about the driver though, I'm not sure which driver I'm supposed to edit and how the nvidia card is still not showing up in device manager.

• 4 months later...
Hi, welcome to T|I.

Unlocked BIOS.

- Unplug power cord

- Remove battery

- Reinsert CMOS battery

- Plug power cord

- Reinsert gtx 770m.

- Reinsert Battery.

i followed his guide to the letter, everything was going fine,to the step "reinsert gtx" and powered on,blackscreen and cannot get into bios T.T

m17x r4, i7 3630qm gtx 680m win 10,how should i go from here?

There is a problem with the 770M in windows - I have an Alienware M17x R4 with a GTX 770M installed with Bios A13 (not unlocked) and it works fine. The problem with installing the driver is that you need to manually edit the inf file to introduce your device into the inf - for some reason Nvidia say this 770M model that I have (11E0) is not officially supported or something.

So the process is basically like this:

1 Extract the video driver to its own folder (it's probably already extracted to C:\Nvidia\etc\etc if you've already tried to install it.

2 Navigate into the Display.Driver folder and open nvdispi.inf with notepad (or any text editor).

3 At the bottom of the inf file you'll find a big list of cards and their device numbers and you just need to rename one of them (Use a similar card like a 970M) and replace the name and also the 4digit code for that card - BUT take note of the original 4 digit code.

4 Once you've renamed the card to Nvidia Geforce GTX 770M then you also need to rename all the similar references to the old card to the new card.

5 Reboot the machine into unsigned driver mode (in win 8 and 10 it's a quirky and awkward process, I force legacy mode on these newer OSs as I prefer being able to press F8 which is a much simpler solution (damn you M$!)

6 Once booted in unsigned mode you can install the new driver no problem and then after that annoying process you can continue as normal.

So in my example:

NVIDIA_DEV.139B = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M"

NVIDIA_DEV.11E0 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M"

I rename the DEV.XXXX 4 digits, and also the 960M to 770M then I "REPLACE ALL" the 139B to 11E0 in the file.

My card has an ID of 11E0 but yours may not - you can use GPUz to see what your 4-digit code would have to be.

post-23741-14495000807617_thumb.png

This is a better method that using LaptopVideo2Go for me because those drivers never seemed to allow me to alter the screen brightness once the driver had started (only at the Bios screen). If this method seems too confusing or too much effort - I urge you to try the LaptopVideo2Go drivers at least to get started and make sure your new card is working okay. Then later you can explore making a modified inf.

I hope this is helpful :)

So optimus will not works right?

Or should I enable Integrated graphics after installing new GPU?

Sorry I didn't quote but my previous post was for you too.

I'm not enough into video card tech to judge but mr Wood, who's much more expert than I am, told me that using SG mode the dedicated card signal and management go through the integrated GFX; because of this there's the risk the dedicated card isn't correctly managed, especially regarding temperature readings.

Actually I can't use PEG mode, only SG. Nothing wrong till now except slower performances.

• 2 months later...

hi i have bought an 880m for my m17x r4. i have downloaded newst driver, but dunno how to mod the inf and wich one.... on new driver it report many "sections" and dunno wich one is for me...

anyone that have upgraded to new vga needed modded bios ? i read somewhere that no bios unlocked was required...

i have 3d panel.

• 1 month later...