Restart time help

rickss69

I've been testing some components for an upcoming game rig and noticed a particular combination giving very fast re-boots. I decided to give it some attention and see how far I could take it. I have it down to 14 seconds so far and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to lower it even more.

I came across a YouTube video by "stamatisx" and left a comment. The reply was to visit this site and help might be provided. Current components are as follows:

Biostar TH67+ mb

Intel 2600K cpu

OCZ Vertex 2 ssd

Win 7 64

To get to this point I have:

enabled quick boot in bios

enabled noGUIboot

disabled startup/services

no sound/video driver - using onboard

Restart14.jpg

BootTimer12277.jpg

BootRacer12.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
I've been testing some components for an upcoming game rig and noticed a particular combination giving very fast re-boots. I decided to give it some attention and see how far I could take it. I have it down to 14 seconds so far and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to lower it even more.

I came across a YouTube video by "stamatisx" and left a comment. The reply was to visit this site and help might be provided. Current components are as follows:

Biostar TH67+ mb

Intel 2600K cpu

OCZ Vertex 2 ssd

Win 7 64

To get to this point I have:

enabled quick boot in bios

enabled noGUIboot

disabled startup/services

no sound/video driver - using onboard

Restart14.jpg

BootTimer12277.jpg

BootRacer12.jpg

Hi rickss69 and welcome to our forum.

Below are a few extra things you can apply if you want to lower your boot time

Remember that those changes are not mend for everyday usage, but only if you are targeting on making a new record on the boot timer ;)

You can start by applying the tweaks mentioned here:

http://forum.techinferno.com/storage/30-installing-ssd-tips-tricks-benchmarks.html#post53

The only driver installed should be the chipset drivers, nothing else

Disable as many devices as possible from the device manager (I really mean everything possible, ie USB devices, firewire, camera, unused controllers,etc.. the more the better)

Disable readyboost

Open Computer Management -> performance -> Data Collector Sets -> Startup Event Trace Sessions

Double click on Readyboot and under the trace session tab uncheck to disable like the screenshot below

readybootdisable.jpg

After that I would do a reboot and then go to C:\Windows\Prefetch and delete all its contents

Change the visual effects

visualteffects.png

Change the personalization settings

personalization.png

Disable features like indexing service and windows search

windowsfeatures.png

Minimize the components displayed on the Start Menu and the Taskbar

startmenu.th.png

startmenu2.th.png

startmenu3.th.png

startmenu4.th.png

notifications.th.png

The language settings

language.th.png

Set the time to not synchronize with a server

timetq.th.png

Disable the firewall

firewall.th.png

Delete as many fonts as possible from the Control Panel/Fonts

Set the display at 800x600 16bit

Also you can change the performance option to Background services

backgroundservices.th.png

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founder

you guys might be able to reduce the restart time even more using my coming up article about diagnosing shutdown times.

i think it's going up tomorrow.. just making the finishing touches.

• 1 month later...

Okay this information atleast some of it is also useful in optimizing your system to move faster too. Stuuf like windows time, performance un my computer properties, disabling unused services etc. If careful not to disable important daily used things... this guide can also be taken as a performance guide. My system only stat with about 45 total processes. If your on Alienware the only required one to start is the OSD startup entry and FX controller doen't need to start unless you have the lights dimmed or on go dark because the when the computer starts you would need to open FXeditor program manually for the lights to go out if you even have them set to go dark. Then you can close the FXeditor and all light settings will remain as you've set them. But really I don't have it start because it saves memory and processor time. Aliensense I used for awhile till recent when I figured I waste time everyday starting windows with a password... i deleted the password and Aliensense as I do not need the added security right now and can easily reinstall these anytime. Here's a tip use more programs that do not install but launch directly from the folder without installing them. Always close an application thats a required backround process off when your done with it, that improves my restarts and shutdowns. Using the performance check boxes on your hard drives improves restart shutdown time because write time are improved with those settings due to faster saving of files at shutdown.

Edited by mw86