Kz-b26

Ivxy

Hi there,

I bought a KZ-B26 to test for my X220 to see if this mastered PCi-E 2.0. Since the Lenovo x220 has a whitelist, I get a BIOS version 1.39 without whitelist, this also works without problems.

The problem is that the ePGU not want to work with my KZ-B26 , I get the error 43 and also tried to switch to PCI-e 1.0 and to PCI-e 2.0, but is not help.

So the pictures show you my Problem (the problem, the normal, my PCie- bus):

post-10765-14494996412661_thumb.png

So anyone has an idea what can I do? Would the Setup 1.x help here?

post-10765-14494996411936_thumb.png

post-10765-14494996412295_thumb.png

Hi there,

I bought a KZ-B26 to test for my X220 to see if this mastered PCi-E 2.0. Since the Lenovo x220 has a whitelist, I get a BIOS version 1.39 without whitelist, this also works without problems.

The problem is that the ePGU not want to work with my KZ-B26 , I get the error 43 and also tried to switch to PCI-e 1.0 and to PCI-e 2.0, but is not help.

So the pictures show you my Problem (the problem, the normal, my PCie- bus):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9610[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]9611[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]9612[/ATTACH]

So anyone has an idea what can I do? Would the Setup 1.x help here?

Setup 1.x has a Video Cards->initialize function that can overcome error 43 on NVidia cards. That's assuming it's not a hardware error. Error 43 has also appeared when users have had mHDMI cables which could also be the case with your kz-b26 though with a FFC cable.

Setup 1.x has a Video Cards->initialize function that can overcome error 43 on NVidia cards. That's assuming it's not a hardware error. Error 43 has also appeared when users have had mHDMI cables which could also be the case with your kz-b26 though with a FFC cable.

So I installed Setup 1.x and tried to work the eGPU over the KZ-B26 . However, I will not get her to work. Do I need appoint options in a correct order or there are options which must only be carried out and others that I should not do? I tryed many things but I it does not want to work.

[Edit]

Make it a diffend if I use Setup 1.x V 1.1b5 and not the new 1.3?

Please bare with me as I delve into why I think you may be having difficulties connecting. Keep in mind that I am not an electronics expert, and this is mostly me using my intuition based on heavy research I've done regarding PCIe, general knowledge of electronics and my advanced knowledge of computers in general.

Using any kind of transition (ie. connectors) in a signal path results in signal loss and possible points for signal reflection if impedence values are not maintained which can cause problems with the signal. This is especially true with high frequency signals such as that found in PCIe (1.0 is a 2.5GHz signal, while 2.0 is 5GHz). These kidns of problems are worsened when using higher frequency signals.

Typically in any standard system whether it be desktop or laptop, devices are connected to the system using one connector in the signal path (the mPCIe slot or an ExpressCard slot on a laptop, or the PCIe slot on a desktop). Any other connections in the signal's path are soldered and would not cause the same problems of signal loss and reflection, or if they do, they are exteremely minimal. While I know most would argue "copper is copper", that is not the case when you're dealing with high frequency data communications. Slight changes can cause the system to fail. This is why we have Cat5e and Cat6 cables which both can run 1Gbps networks, but untwist the wires too much or don't crimp the end right and it just will not work at the intended speed. With PCIe even the traces used on circuit boards have to be made to very tight specifications, including length, otherwise they will not be compliant and fail to perform as intended.

Most eGPU setups that are running 2.0 spec have at most, 2 non-soldered connections in the path: One being the GPU -> PCIe slot (such as into a PE4L) and the other being where you connect your eGPU to the computer (VIA ExpressCard or mPCIe). People are able to establish PCIe connections with 3 or 4 connectors in the path (by using the old PE4L and PE4H that use the mHDMI connector) but they are limited to 1.0 speeds. This, to me, indicates that the enhanced frequency of 2.0 just can't handle these extra transitions and the signal is suffering.

From the results of the eGPU experiences thread, I'm under the impression that any more than 2 connectors across a PCIe

signal path cause the signal to become too degraded, regardless of the type of connector used to provide 2.0 link speeds. Most usage scenarios of PCIe have 1 connector being used in the signal path and in some extreme cases riser cards or cables are used (for desktops and servers even) so 2 connectors is probably still within spec for 2.0. Once you're getting into 3 different connectors, you're getting into a very specific usage scenario that likely would not have been accounted for as you're obviously trying to adapt something (which in the case of eGPUs, we are!)

Using the KZ-B26 would be introducing 5 connectors in the signal path if you are using a PE4L with a soldered EC solution and 6 if you're using a PE4L with an HDMI connector in there. I believe this is why you're having trouble even establishing a connection as the signal may just be getting slaughtered.

GPU <1> PCIe Slot -> PE4L -> EC <2> KZ-B26 (EC side) <3> RIBBON CABLE <4> KZ-B26 (mPCIE side) <5> mPCIe Slot -> SYSTEM

The number of connectors you have could possibly be reduced by using something like this, but I believe you would still be limited to 1.0 speeds as it is still 3 connectors in the signal path:

ExpressCard to mini-PCIe adapter

GPU <1> PCIe Slot -> PE4L -> EC <2> EC Adapter Above <3> mPCIe Slot -> SYSTEM

I am aware some people are using eGPUs with the Sonnet Echo Express EC->Thunderbolt adapter in the way creating a signal path that has more than 2 connectors, but Thunderbolt should be considered a separate scenario as the TB controllers are muxing and essentially retransmitting the data signals before reaching the TB connectors on either side before reaching the PCIe bus or the PCIe card.

While most of this is only conjecture, it could easily be tested if someone that already has an eGPU setup working with 2.0 spec attaches an inexpensive and short 2.0 spec PCIe riser cable in the connection between their GPU and PE4L and see what happens. I guess even trying to use 2 PCIe riser cables on a desktop would work as well. If they drop to 1.0 link speed, it would confirm that having more than 2 connectors in the signal path does indeed cause too much degradation to the signal. If they remain at 2.0 link speed, then I'm wrong and I need to learn more about electronics and digital signalling. I am curious to know the answer myself! :)

Now I have tested many combinations of possible settings, but no wants to work. Form hot plugging the 'PM3N' end after you bootup from Windows and Setup 1.x. This by the Setup 1.x with the Video cards->Initialize setting. And all this with and without PCI Reset Delay from my PE4L by 6,9s. And a lot of others combinations of settings.

After look at

, I have tested it, but without the dGPU off.

If I make this step post-10765-1449499642_thumb.jpg message. Maybe a error or something?

But if I use my Expresscard, all settings work. Maybe the KZ-B26 has a damage? But I can' see a physical harm.

[Edit]

Really nice comment, and one thing I have not seen so. But I also made ​​up my mind how useful this is. And what is going on intern, I study Mechatronics (Electrical engineering, computer science and Mechanical Engineering). And I realize that the KZ-B26 is more or less a KZ-B22. But this does not mean that they can only PCI-e 1.0, maybe.

A reason why I try it, it is because my Professor say: "tested always the limit" what I try. A other reason is, that if I buy a new Laptop, with whom I will have an eGPU again. I know on what should I look for, and what I should avoid.

But a working connection I would still like to build, even if it is only one PCI-e 1.0.

[Edit 2]

So, after further testing, it is not possible for me to activate the eGPU in the Setup 1.x and Windows with the KZ-B26 adapter, if I hot plugging the EGPU. And if I start the eGPU before the X220 I can't activate the eGPU without the error 43, with all reasonable combinations of settings.

post-10765-14494996419004_thumb.jpg

post-10765-14494996419384_thumb.jpg