[HARDWARE MOD] Clevo P150/P170 cooling system (solutions here)

beefsticks

So you also sanded the gpu heatsink, or only the cpu?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did my GPU first and it was a huge improvement. The CPU I did just because I wanted too. I don't overclock my CPU. The 880M was running very hot even at stock clocks, which is why I started looking into cooling mods. Now I can run it at 1032 core at .9875v and 1450 memory. It hits 71c during 3DMark 11 and 77c max during gaming (Mechwarrior Online).

It should be noted that Mechwarrior Online pegs the GPU while sitting at the start of a match with no real 3D stuff going on. During gaming it usually runs below 70c.

3DM119044_zps4033a637.png

Those are some impressive temps. Not sure if I have a bad heat sink or something but my GPU goes up to 93 on furmark. No throttling though, but definitely not good in the long term for the gpu.

clevo sure needs to start caring about cooling

I'm pretty sure you only wrote this for your download quota but I'll respond anyway.

Clevo obviously does care judging by the fact that they have the largest internal fans of any laptop maker, and that they are the only one to use copper radiators on the GPU. They just have stupid flaws that they are not correcting that would cost virtually nothing to fix.

• Thumbs Up 1

Those are some impressive temps. Not sure if I have a bad heat sink or something but my GPU goes up to 93 on furmark. No throttling though, but definitely not good in the long term for the gpu.

Furmark is really a harsh test for your hardware. I would use that sparingly.

My 880M used to hit over 90c during gaming. I had to limit the core clock to 954 to keep it reasonable.

This was just to show that it can definitely be improved.

I'm pretty sure you only wrote this for your download quota but I'll respond anyway.

Clevo obviously does care judging by the fact that they have the largest internal fans of any laptop maker, and that they are the only one to use copper radiators on the GPU. They just have stupid flaws that they are not correcting that would cost virtually nothing to fix.

I actually didnt know that they had the biggest fans, but since so many people have heating problems with just cluess cevo and 7970m. but my guess is that by today they have fixed that, although this pc was designed 2012.

PAlso all clevo heatsinks (CPU and GPU) ship with a warped die contact plate. Have you tried increasing the pressure at all? This helps some, but the only true fix it to sand the contact plate on a level surface. If you do this GPU temps are actually much better than m18x temps since the Clevo fan moves 2.5x more air than the alienware GPU fans. Clevo uses much stronger fans because they don't realize they have the die contact problem :/

Khenglish, I can't thank you enough for pointing out this glaring defect, as I would've never caught it otherwise.

And you are 100% correct that the cooling system is extremely heavy duty, yet the temperatures are nowhere near optimal because of some questionable design decisions on Clevo's part. However, after patching up most of these issue (I've compiled a thread over at NBR), the cooling system truly stands out above the rest. Just look at these temperatures below:

4t86mIC.jpg

These are the temps I recorded after playing Watch Dogs on Ultra for 30 minutes. Both 780Ms barely push past 70°C, and the average temp is a breezy 66°C. Now if only Clevo would fix these issues themselves so that all users could benefit from the heavy duty cooling.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello Guys!!!

For a month I have p150SM 4900MQ 780M 8GB Win7 and from first day I have some problems with fans...Is it standard to have max speed of fan (3800-3900RPM) with temperatures : CPU 65-67 GPU 72-72???

Every time after 10min of play Crysis3 I have max speed fan. The full blast of the fan should wait to 90 degrees or even more??

70 degrees is not much and is not sens make that noise :(

I updated BIOS/EC to newest versions and still the same...

Hello Guys!!!

For a month I have p150SM 4900MQ 780M 8GB Win7 and from first day I have some problems with fans...Is it standard to have max speed of fan (3800-3900RPM) with temperatures : CPU 65-67 GPU 72-72???

Every time after 10min of play Crysis3 I have max speed fan. The full blast of the fan should wait to 90 degrees or even more??

Hello Guys!!!

Does hitting FN&1 reduce the fan speed? It is possible that yours is "switched on" so to speak.

My P170SM sets the fan speed at 100% (or near as makes no difference) once the 780M goes over 88 degrees.

Does hitting FN&1 reduce the fan speed? It is possible that yours is "switched on" so to speak.

My P170SM sets the fan speed at 100% (or near as makes no difference) once the 780M goes over 88 degrees.

FN+1 toggles between auto fan speed and maximum fan speed.

That is normal. 88C is hot for a GPU and the fan should go full speed if it gets that warm.

Three days ago, I took off my GPU heatsink to check the paste and thermopads. Everything looked good ... After installing heatsink back to the place ... I can reach temperatures of 10 degrees above. Now, the maximum speed of the fan turns on when the GPU reaches 85-86 degrees. Ten degrees difference - very strange ...

• 3 months later...

Are there any good 3rd party cooling blocks for the P157SM? I have done the sanding on my heatsink but am not too pleased with the 3C drop in temp. How about better fans? Has anyone tried to change out the fans on the GPU or CPU blocks?

Three days ago, I took off my GPU heatsink to check the paste and thermopads. Everything looked good ... After installing heatsink back to the place ... I can reach temperatures of 10 degrees above. Now, the maximum speed of the fan turns on when the GPU reaches 85-86 degrees. Ten degrees difference - very strange ...

umm....did u remove the old paste and put on a fresh one before putting back the heatsink? once u take it off u cannot reuse the paste anymore!!! cuz thats exactly what will happen then@10 degrees raise...

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for this topic, followed it to the letter almost and lowered temps to a more reasonable temp. especially my 880m. was hitting 93-94°c, now with a couple of spacers and braces brought temps down to 80odd.

main point for me, was intake. with the cover off it lowered temps drastically! so cover is definitely restrictive.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 11 months later...

I noticed when I put in a gtx 680m in my p151em today that the heatsink was quite scratched up and stained, How much temperature should I expect to lose? I have lapped a desktop cpu in the past and had good results but was wondering if there was anything special for the graphics heatsink.

I battled with trying to get the perfect heatsink install with the GTX680M. I use MSI Kombuster to test. If it will run stable for a few mins around 70C+ it's on right. If it throttles, then, you might want to do it again. (using cooler master U3 pad and additional cm 12cm fan powered by adaptor. YMMV

• 1 month later...

I have a P150SMA with a cooling mat and a mod with holes below each fan ( CPU and GPU) to improve airflow. I can get my GPU to idle around 37 C but the CPU refuses to drop below 60 or even 70 sometimes, even when idling with max fan speed (Fn +1). The CPU and GPU fan appear to be working but it's clear that the CPU has a smaller fan, but perhaps it's not getting the best airflow? My games constantly thermal throttle the CPU, reducing performance. Any suggestions? Should I try lapping the cooler? sand the heatpipes? I'm up for whatever to get the CPU temp down. Also it looks like the screenshots stopped working since the forum upgrade

I have a P150SMA with a cooling mat and a mod with holes below each fan ( CPU and GPU) to improve airflow. I can get my GPU to idle around 37 C but the CPU refuses to drop below 60 or even 70 sometimes, even when idling with max fan speed (Fn +1). The CPU and GPU fan appear to be working but it's clear that the CPU has a smaller fan, but perhaps it's not getting the best airflow? My games constantly thermal throttle the CPU, reducing performance. Any suggestions? Should I try lapping the cooler? sand the heatpipes? I'm up for whatever to get the CPU temp down. Also it looks like the screenshots stopped working since the forum upgrade

hm this sounds weird...

1) check dust accumulation in your system

2) when was the last time youve repasted your cpu? make sure to use a high performance TIM like ICD, GC extreme of thermal grizzly kryonaut

3) check if your cpu heatsink makes proper contact with the cpu die

4) check if your cpu heatsink heatpipes are damaged and working properly (get hot instantly when u heat up one end and touch the other)

5) when on desktop idle, check your task manager to make sure no background processes unnecessarily stress the cpu (botnet malware is known to do that)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk