Alienware 17 i7 4930MX Overheating Issue

itsleeyo

Hi, I just purchased an alienware 17 about 2 months ago and the cpu is constantly overheating/shutdown when I am rendering a video with adobe premiere pro. While I game it will hit about 100 C. I have repasted a couple of times and still stuck with the same result. I tried using HWinfo64 to try to control the fans speed, however when i manually control the fans speed the GPU fan will not be functional after I set it as custom fan speed. Any clue of how I can reduce the heat on the CPU ?

The firmware is totally messed up, it's been like this for months and and Dell doesn't seem to be in a hurry when it comes to fixing this. It's really sad that a high-end system comes with a crippled bios / ec. Currently I don't think there's much you can do about, unless maybe using a notebook cooler... :(

I'd call Dell and complain, even though it won't help directly, but the more people complain, the faster it might get fixed.

The firmware is totally messed up, it's been like this for months and and Dell doesn't seem to be in a hurry when it comes to fixing this. It's really sad that a high-end system comes with a crippled bios / ec. Currently I don't think there's much you can do about, unless maybe using a notebook cooler... :(

I'd call Dell and complain, even though it won't help directly, but the more people complain, the faster it might get fixed.

There's really no reason to call dell to complain unless you like wasting time. After wasting an hour on their buggy phone system to finally get a human they'll say, "OK I'm transferring you to someone who can help." and instead you get put on hold indefinitely. They absolutely do not care.

Well I tried contacting them straight to the alienware TECH department and a person answered. They said they are going to replace all the fans/ heatsinks in the laptop. I doubt that will fix the issue..... I might just mess with the voltage settings for the cpu. ill report back if i find any sign of improvement.

Okay so I have found out that the process needed a little bit more thermal paste than usual [ [] ] <-- thats how much thermal paste ABOUT (look at it horizontally). Addition to that I changed the voltage on the 4930mx because the default voltage is more than necessary. Also I lowered my Core Voltage with XTU to 1.100V to help bring the temps down running at 3.98 GHZ

Hehe, you have a 4930MX CPU? It overheats? Yeah same here. :Banane47:

Default voltage is a bit too high. Sometime ago I was using 1.10V @ 4GHz, now I am running 1.11V (which shows up as 1.1089V) since there was WHEA BSOD (due to core voltage too low). I have repaste quite a few times, and I even changed the CPU fan, from the current fan which says 5.5cfm, to the M18x R2 11cfm fan. Actually using HWiNFO64 to spin up the fans to max RPM, they blow about the same amount of air (no scientific test, just feeling it), although the 11cfm fan spins at max RPM of 4300RPM vs the 4200RPM of the stock CPU fan.

I also put some washers on the CPU bracket behind the mainboard to increase the heatplate pressure. Now at 4GHz (3990MHz in ThrottleStop), max temp I observed was about 92C in Cinebench R11.5 and wPrime 1024M test. And that's with forced max CPU fan RPM.

I think 1.13V-1.14V is stable for 4.1Ghz, and 1.15V should be good for 4.2GHz, but even at 4.1 the CPU gets too hot. Ambient is around 20-25C here.

@kh90123

I have a few questions for you

- Where did you get the M18x R2 fans and are they working properly after changing to the M18x R2 fan?

- What about the gpu fan does the M18x R2's gpu fan fits on our alienware 17?

- Did you manage to get HWinfo64 to work for both GPU and CPU fans?

Thanks

I got the CPU fan here: Dell Alienware M18x R2 Cooling Fan DP/N: J77H4, 0J77H4, DC28000BHF0

There's no guarantee that it will work for the 17. You need to make sure the mount fits. It's exactly the same in the 18 and the M18x. The only thing was that the cable wasn't long enough. It was 2cm short, so I had to get someone to cut it and lengthen it.

HWiNFO64 does not work for GPU fan yet.

I Burn one of my SLI card after a half yr and got a new on garenty but the technichen told me that i had to send my alienware to a computershop for cleaning every half year!!!! and he told me that if it keep burning the garenty whoud not cover the dameged!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have any info on whether or not the 17-4900qm has the same heating issues. I was under the impression that both cpu's were relatively similar..with a few exceptions.

I'm with 4900qm and alienware 18. I haven't seen any heating issues with overheating yet. I never overclocked yet.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone have any info on whether or not the 17-4900qm has the same heating issues. I was under the impression that both cpu's were relatively similar..with a few exceptions.

I had a similar issue on my machine which is the same spec as yours. Went into the BIOS and for some reason the core voltage was set at a max of 1.2v which was causing the CPU fan to ramp up and down constantly and driving me mad. I dropped the max voltage down to 1.05V and dropped the max multiplier on all 4 cores to 35.

• 1 month later...

I have alienware 17 with 4930mx at 3.9ghz. I have the same issue of overheating. While running stress tests, cpu goes to 100c and shuts down.

I don't have a cooling pad but I do have air conditioner keeping room at or below 19c. and the laptop is kept in a bit elevated at the back.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, same problem here. Alienware 17 overheating and shutting down. Mine is kind of new, bought 5 months ago. I am with i7 4930mx 3.9ghz.

Any suggestions to solve this?

Same thing, tried repasting and had some temporary success, but after a while it just started heating up again, to the point that the laptop will become too hot to rest on my leg. Any advice?

Also for the moment still have locked A12 bios, anyway the solution can get around that?

Same thing, tried repasting and had some temporary success, but after a while it just started heating up again, to the point that the laptop will become too hot to rest on my leg. Any advice?

Also for the moment still have locked A12 bios, anyway the solution can get around that?

I believe its a common problem with 4930mx. I saw many posts on this. My AW17 manufacturer told me to replace with 4910mq CPU which uses less power also change CPU heatsink to triple pipe, but I can't find such a thing.

For me the overheating is only when I render graphics in Maya 3d. No problem while gaming in ultra settings.

Do not keep laptop on legs or bed. You should better keep it on a flat wooden table with something to elevate laptop's back or use a cooling pad. And do not block the vents at bottom and back.