Lenovo y510p ultrabay HDD caddy

Sinbios

I grabbed an utrabay HDD caddy off ebay for the y510p which kind of fits but not too well. It's much smaller than it needs to be and doesn't lock into place like the ultrabay module is supposed to. Does anyone know where I can get an ultrabay HDD caddy that fits correctly, or what the official HDD caddy's FRU number is? I saw a "HDD bracket" listed in the hardware service manual with FRU 90201952 but not sure if it's the correct part.

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a lot of vapor-hardware accessories for the Y410/Y510? I also noticed on my screen saver, that it says that they keyboard is "dual-coloured backlit". yeah right. If they consider the 2 different brightness levels 2 different colors, then I guess they are right. Something tells me that I'll never see an Ultrabay nVidia Card GT755m.

Yeah...

Ultrabay is quite new in the ideapad range. I hope they will continue to put it in their designs, to generate enough demand for them to actually sell some!

I would love to swap out my dvd for an extra battery, but I don't think ideapad Ultrabay supports second batteries

The problem with Ultrabay is that they change it all the time. It was introduced back in IBM ThinkPads and since there there have been more than a dozen versions obviously very rarely compatible with previous ones. I had a T400 (or T410?) which isn't all that old, but still I had a hard time finding Ultrabay battery for it :/

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the official caddy: Y500 Removable HDD F451 | Lenovo | (US)

I believe it comes with a 750GB HDD, so if you call and tell them you don't want the HDD, perhaps you can get a significant price cut. Oh, and login via the Barnes and Noble link for an upfront savings. https://shop.lenovo.com/barnesnoblegold/us/en/laptops/

Here is the official caddy: Y500 Removable HDD F451 | Lenovo | (US)

I believe it comes with a 750GB HDD, so if you call and tell them you don't want the HDD, perhaps you can get a significant price cut. Oh, and login via the Barnes and Noble link for an upfront savings. https://shop.lenovo.com/barnesnoblegold/us/en/laptops/

I agree, without a price cut, $180 is so expensive for a 750 GB HDD.

Could get a much faster SSD and then hook up additional storage in those portable passport harddrives.

• 2 weeks later...

the ultrabay seems like a great but very poorly executed idea. i assumed when i picked my y510p up that there would be swap out options available from lenovo as i opted for the sli rather than an optical drive its frustrating shell out good money on a decent laptop with a low end wifi card and a lack of options for the ultrabay and a locked bios. those things are almost a deal breaker for me. next time i upgrade to a new laptop i will definitely look into other options

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I kinda wished they the would just have the caddy. It would be nice to replace the internal HD with msata ssd and put the 1tb into the caddy. I'm not sure what lenovo was thinking with this. In regards to the 410p/400 and 510p/500 i believe that have the exact same chasis so the ultra bays should be compatible within the class model. =]

I bought the caddy from hddcaddy.com, it fits well and they also have a good video tutorial on their homepage. I am using it with at 7200rpm hdd without any problems.

But you are right, there was no cover included.

I just got the MyDigitalSSD 120gb M.2 SSD for my y510p. Restarts in 23 seconds from full boot.

• 3 weeks later...
the ultrabay seems like a great but very poorly executed idea. i assumed when i picked my y510p up that there would be swap out options available from lenovo as i opted for the sli rather than an optical drive its frustrating shell out good money on a decent laptop with a low end wifi card and a lack of options for the ultrabay and a locked bios. those things are almost a deal breaker for me. next time i upgrade to a new laptop i will definitely look into other options

It would be a fantastic idea if they actually followed through with it. Instead you just get stuck with what you have.

• 2 weeks later...
I found this: Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p HDD Caddy

But as you can see you need the cover of the dvd drive, which I do not have as I bought the SLI y510p.

This seems to be the only good HDD caddy. I ordered a random one off Ebay, however it has a millimeter gap which can cause it to detach from the HDD caddy. This is probably only for me since my friend installed the one in the link and it's so far so good.