Best Way to Lower Temps?

Lucaz172

@Kitri, if you're still under warranty contact dell.

Hi, my M14xR1's temperature hangs between 65 and 79 mostly, but I keep getting system crashes. Not BSOD, just everything freezes. Haven't been able to confirm if this is heat-related though, I know my BIOS says something about throttling at 90 degrees, don't know if it's maybe that. Since you're all talking about cleaning laptops and temperature and stuff, has any of you had this issue or have any ideas what it could be? I don't want to attempt to clean it and break it in the process :-P

• 1 month later...

I just bought a new SSD and installed everything from scratch a couple days ago. While playing BF4 the next day, my temperature went up about 15 degrees more! I was very happy with the SSD speed but very disappointed with the additional heat. BF4 was causing the M14X to run at a very unacceptable 98 degrees. I thought about returning the SSD but I really want to keep it. As I stated in a different area on Tech|Inferno.com, I already cleaned the fan and changed the heat sink paste. That dropped my temperature 15 degrees or so. Now with the SSD installed it went back up to where it used to be. While researching for some answers, in order to keep the SSD, I found that turning off Turbo boost MAY help. Another way to help is to lower the Processor Power Management setting from 100% to 99%. The last tip was to remove the battery while the laptop is plugged in and running intensive applications. I haven't tried these tips yet but I plan to try them with the old hard drive and the new SSD. I just thought they might help someone else too.

I wanted to give a quick update to the previous post that I left because it helped me. I did not remove the battery to help cool the M14X because I thought it would be a pain to undo the bottom 2 screws, remove the back, and then remove the battery every time I thought I would be maxing out the system. However, I did try turning off turbo boost AND setting the Processor Power Management setting from 100% to 99% (make sure you are using the balance plan, not the maximum performance plan). I played BF4 again and the M14X's top temperature dropped from 98 degrees before changing these setting to 80 degrees. I was very happy! I decided to try and turn Turbo boost on again but leaving the Processor Power Management setting at 99% on the balance mode. I played BF4 again and I am pleased to say that the top temperature recorded this time was only 78 degrees max. I suggest if you are having temperature problems, that you try this. It really helped me! I must also say that there was no noticeable difference in BF4. It ran perfectly. Give it a try; you have nothing to lose and you can always set it back the way it was if you're not happy!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree on re-pasting. It is really not that difficult, just take your time, make note of where everything is (take pictures if you need to) be careful to note where specific screws are placed as some laptop vendors use different length screws.

I just recently repasted my AW14 and purchased a somewhat premium thermal paste. It was well worth the money (if you are going to the trouble of taking the laptop apart to repaste, make it worth it and use a quality paste). The paste that I used is the THERMAL PROLIMATECH | PRO-PK3-5G The 5 Gram size runs about $15.00, you could also go with the 1.5G and that should be good for a couple of repastes. (I got the 5 Gram as I have quite a few desktop computers as well and want to use this paste on those when I get ready to repaste).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Like others have said, cleaning out your fans will help a ton. I also use a laptop stand with a built in USB hub for my desk, Keeps the laptop cool, while allowing me to keep my mix amp and mouse plugged in and ready to go anytime I'm at my desk.

• 3 months later...

Not sure if this is relevant for you since you've got fairly low GPU temps, but I've found that with the 750m on my y500, lowering the memory clock had little to no impact on framerates (I dropped the memory clock by 502 mhz and I lost 1 frame per second on Shadow of Mordor :P), but it lowered by temps by around 10 degrees Celsius. Maybe that'd help a bit?

Not sure if this helps but I've been using my M14X R1 for about 3 years.

One main issue is that it runs awfully hot when I play game.

Since changing to an SSD a week back, the laptop is much cooler and runs much faster. The SSD is a Samsung 840 Pro

Not sure if this helps but I've been using my M14X R1 for about 3 years.

One main issue is that it runs awfully hot when I play game.

Since changing to an SSD a week back, the laptop is much cooler and runs much faster. The SSD is a Samsung 840 Pro

Have you repasted it yet? A quality paste will help a lot with those temp spikes when gaming. Before I did mine I was running in the high 60's & would spike up in the high 80's (or 90's on a graphics heavy game). After, I'm running in the 40's and I only get into the mid 50's when pushing it really hard. Skyrim on maxed out settings for a few hours only pushes me to about 53 or so.

• 2 months later...

The test i did with my cooler master showed 0-1 degree increase with the fans. The laptop stand in total had a quite nice effect of around a 5 degree decrease at high load. But that seems to be mostly thanks to the improved ventilation sience turning the fans on sometimes increased temps 1 degree. Maybe turbulence???

speaking from experience, cleaning out the dust and re-pasting really helped. Although our laptops are different, my m14x r1 used to idle around 80C, and now its idles mid 40s. I also turn of turbo and that help it stayed relatively cool during high load (below 90C). There is a drop in performance but its negligible. You should get a cooling pad or look into water cooling http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m15x/8622-m15x-hybride-cooling.html. Water cooling might turn your laptop into a desktop though haha

• 2 months later...

IC Diamond and Arctic Silver 5 has always been the majorities choice, why not give em a try? I on the other hand have been using Cooler Master X1 Extreme Fusion because from where i live, its cheap and easy to get also it performs relatively well, IC Diamond and AS5 however are hard to come by from where i live and are way expensive like 50 when there is some