Possible fix for sound issues with Nvidia 7XXm GPUs

DARKNAP

Since ive been browsing these forums for a while trying to fix the onboard sound when my 770m is installed I thought I would share some of the steps I did to finally fix it.

After a few days of trying and probably 50 reboots I managed to get both the 770m and IDT onboard sound working at the same time. :tears_of_joy:

While I might have been just luck as at first it was very unstable and would yellow screen randomly it appears to have disappeard.

Some of these steps were: (Windows 8.1 I don't know if these will differ on 7 and would hate to lose sound again)

1. Disabled audio in bios (A09) and get the 770m fully working. I used the nvidia oem 327.44 drivers from laptopvideo2go.

2. Enable audio in the bios.

3. Restart into safe mode and uninstall the generic High Definiton Audio Codec drivers from device manager.

4. Restart again and enter safe mode to install the latest dell audio drivers. Once this is done you should see the IDT control panel in control panel.

5. Disable all sound cards under Sound, video and game controllers. For good measure also disable high definiton audio controller under system devices. Also go the the volume settings and set windows sounds to no sound.

6. Restart into full windows. You should be able to boot even with audio enabled in the bios now.

7. Go into idt control panel and toggle the power management to enabled (don't know if this did anything but worth a shot.

8. Try enabling the IDT codec in device manager. If you yellow screen, restart and hope you can get into normal windows 8 without yellow screening.

9. If you do manage to finally get the PC to boot with sound enabled in device manager, don't touch the volume tab or anything as it will instantly yellow screen.

10. Get into playback devices by right-clicking the volume icon on the taskbar. From here disable all audio playback devices and recording devices.

11. Your pc should now be stable enough to do some things. Try reinstalling Nvidia drivers again for good measure and when done, Re-enable just Speaker/Headphones in the playback menu and restart.

12. You should hopefully have stable audio output.

From what I can work out the issues appear whenever the sound card attempts to play a sound on the PC. It will instantly yellow screen so the trick is to stop the computer making sound until you can disable all other playback devices.

This makes me think it could be a incompatibility between newer nvidia hdmi audio output and the original displayport output of the onboard sound card.

Hope this helps someone and I might retry the steps with a fresh hard disk to confirm.

Now back to figuring out how to get the 770m to clock up properly.

• Thumbs Up 5

I have also the geforce gtx 770m in my m15x.

It´s a clevo card with the standard bios.

I`m not sure if the clocks are ok?

post-16825-1449499640569_thumb.gif

picture1: overview

picture2: idle

picture3: under load

I am also not sure if the the GPU-Boost 2.0 technology works correctly because regarding to nvidia there should be a clockincrease up to 15%. That would be a GPU core clock of 973Mhz.

post-16825-14494996405285_thumb.gif

post-16825-14494996405495_thumb.gif

I'm not sure how gpu boost works but i don't think ive seen the clock speed exceed 811mhz either.

My guess is the gpu doesnt act the same as it would on a laptop it was designed for so gpu boost would never kick in.

It seems like your clevo is achieving stated speeds though so I might look into flashing a clevo bios to my 770m.

• 1 year later...

im sorry to bump an old thread guys but heres what worked for me (i copied most of darknap's steps hope he doesnt mind)

1. Disabled audio in bios (A09) and get the 770m fully working including the hdmi audio drivers. at this point my pc green screened but thats ok. I used the nvidia oem 320.49 drivers and SVL7's .inf file found here

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/3951-675mx-770m-2.html#post57999

2. Enable audio in the bios.

3. Restart into safe mode and uninstall the generic High Definiton Audio Codec drivers from device manager.

4. Restart again and enter safe mode to install the latest dell audio drivers. Once this is done you should see the IDT control panel in control panel.

5. Disable all sound cards under Sound, video and game controllers including the IDT AND NVIDIA DRIVERS. For good measure also disable high definiton audio controller under system devices. Also go the the volume settings and set windows sounds to no sound.

6. Restart into full windows. You should be able to boot even with audio enabled in the bios now.

7. (this didnt work for me skip)Go into idt control panel and toggle the power management to enabled (don't know if this did anything but worth a shot.

8. (this didnt work for me skip, i kept getting green screens with everything becoming disabled again)Try enabling the IDT codec in device manager. If you yellow screen, restart and hope you can get into normal windows 8without yellow screening.

9. once in full windows reinstall the IDT drivers with the idt still disabled, this will enable it and force the driver. once complete you should have sound!!! DO NOT REBOOT YET OR YOU WILL GREEN SCREEN UPON BOOT

10. make sure to leave the nvidia hdmi audio disabled!!

11. disable and renable your video card. not sure why but this solved my issues!!! NOW YOU MAY REBOOT AND ENJOY YOUR PC AGAIN!

good news guys! i got the display port sound working!

the entire issue we are experiencing is caused by the way the idt sound card contolled audio over the sound card. nvidia now includes this via the hdmi sound out

what your going to want to do is.

follow all above steps to get the sound enabled and stable.

then

12. open the playback devices panel and disable the idt display port. leave the rest enabled

13. reinstall the nvidia drivers and make sure to include the hdmi drivers.

14. reboot and plugin to a displayport (i use a displayport to hdmi adapter for my tv)

15. open playback devices again and look to see if nvidia hdmi 0 has picked up your device.

16. set your nvidia hdmi0 to default.

17. sit back and enjoy your pc again.

18. remember do not reenable the idt displayport in playback or you will yellow screen and will need to boot to safemode to disable idt audio in the device manager

• 6 years later...