[Mod] Voltage increase Nvidia GT 555M

Okay. Where/when does it say "no supported hardware detected"?

I can make you an A01 with this vbios later this day, but I don't think it will change anything. The only values in the voltage table seem to be 0.83V, 0.88V, 0.93V (and 1.0V), something else won't work since it can't be set as far as I know.

when you try to open GPU-Z or Precision or NVinspector there is no NV ... xD it seems to shut down to prevent... you can try but i dont think that that will change anything... thanks for your effort but when its not possible to go slightly under 1 Volt i think we reached the maximum with software modding... xD But its a huge increase i think...

I wish I knew a M14x owner in my area... I'd love to test this myself. The only way I can think of to further increase the voltage is a hardmod, directly at the motherboard.

At least the 0.93V mod works fine, you guys now have the most powerful M14x systems in the world! :)

Btw. +rep for testing, as soon as I can rep you again, hahaha.

I have to rep you for that all... its outstanding the work of you all !!!! I would like to give something back to you guys:

I teardown the M14X and give some Hi-Res Piuctures of the mainboard (4 Pictures (a´12 MP)-> 1 large Panorama Pic) Maybe we can stick this in the M14X section! I will also add the

Datasheets of the VRs and take pictures from the CPU and GPU without Heatsink !

Hopefully it wont be to tricky to teardown that machine... xD I start...... now... xD

shots were taken... its assembled again but my keyboard wont light up... xD have to fix that... i edit the pics and give them an extra thread

===EDIT===

Keyboard working again... cable are there to connect them... *Doh* xD

Edited by n3ocort3x
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sorry if this is a silly question but I was wondering - Does the modified A05 bios allow the graphics card to be overclocked in battery mode like in A01 or does it have the same restrictions as the original A03? If so, I'd have to debate which is more important... Better battery performance or lower fan noise.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, I checked the change logs of the BIOS, Dell doesn't give much information, but for BIOS A03 this is noted: "NV VBios for Samsung 128Mx16". So it seems they slightly changed the VBIOS for a new Samsung VRAM module. I actually thought I used this VBIOS for the mod, but I can double check again. If not this might be the problem. I'll let you know when I checked this.

Your GPU temp is 80°C? What's your CPU temp?

Ok, I've just checked and the VBIOS file is definitely the most recent version, so this can't be the problem. What I highly recommend after each VBIOS flash, is going to the BIOS, choose "load defaults" (or whatever it's called) apply and then restart.

It's also possible that parts of your GPU become too hot, stock thermal paste isn't the best and especially sometimes not applied very well. Keep in mind that the voltage mod only affects the core clock, not the memory clocks. Maybe try lowering the mem clocks a little bit.

How can we confirm that the voltage tweak worked after flashing to A05? What are the default voltages for the GT555M and what is the increased voltage? Thanks for the help

The modded VBIOS gives you a 3d Voltage of 0.93V, you should be able to confirm this with GPU-Z I guess, but your GPU has to be at 3d clocks, the 2d voltage isn't affected.

Can't really help you out here, I don't have an M14x myself. It's weird that your system works at 750MHz without the mod but has issues with it... If you can run 750MHz core stable on stock voltage you should be able to get a nice boost with the mod, 800MHz, maybe more.

You're on AC and have the battery in your system, right?

@Mark - on the a01 bios, one of our members pushed 850/1080 clock but BSOD after that. Gaming clocks vs Benching clocks is what you have to think about here. The challenge is that you really need to monitor both cpu and gpu temps while playing games. Before making some adjustments myself my cpu was very close to 100c. A lot of the time. I had updated my turbo settings in bios and was running at absolute max and this in turn with gpu overclocking was killing my game play. On the m14x its a 1 or the other type situation. The machine doesn't have enough cooling to effectively overclock both at high levels. If you want to try an experiment, use a modified bios and then a game like crysis 2. choose a map and run it over and over. Start at stock levels, play for 10 minutes, check temps and then kick the clocks up. Repeat until you get BSOD. Once you get a BSOD back the mhz down about 10-20mhz and then try again except this time play longer..say 20 minutes. No BSOD means you can probably play at this level. For me I start at 700/900, then I up'd to 750/1000 and found that is my sweet spot for gaming. Now for benching I can go much higher. But for gaming the law of diminishing returns kicks in and i get very little performance increase above this level for the amount of heat.

Keep us posted. Try some other modded bios's and see which works best for you. SVL has already done an exceptional job getting these put together for us.

Best wishes,

Steven X