[Mod] Voltage increase Nvidia GT 555M

I have got a question. if i install the voltmod... how can i undo it? just install the original dell A08 bios?

yes welcome Xeon186 hope you like it here at Tech | Inferno

thanks for the fast replys :) lets try it :)

Edit:

I tryed the normal A08 voltmod without the unlock and searched in the bios for the gpu voltage but didnt found anything... with afterburner i cant change the core voltage too.

Edited by Xeon186

There's no change in the BIOS itself. The voltage change is in the VBIOS and there is no software which allows you to adjust it. The voltmod simply consists of a modified VBIOS which has a slightly higher 3d voltage than in the stock VBIOS, and since the VBIOS can only be flashed along with the BIOS, it's necessary to flash the BIOS.

You can easily verify the increased voltage with overclocking, you'll be able to clock higher than previously. Also GPU-Z will display a higher voltage value than previously (when running at 3d clocks).

I don't know if it's working. i downloaded the ao8 unlocked modded vbios and the other one for the ao8 because this one didn't seem to work but my msi afteburner maxes to 770/1540 so i'm not sure what im doing wrong. thanks :)

I don't know if it's working. i downloaded the ao8 unlocked modded vbios and the other one for the ao8 because this one didn't seem to work but my msi afteburner maxes to 770/1540 so i'm not sure what im doing wrong. thanks :)

Don't worry about it, I have MAJOR trouble with it as well. It's most likely your chip, the newer kind GF116 has problems with this kind of stuff. Mine also only maxes at 770, and can only stably run games at 700mhz without crashing. Without the voltmod bios it's much worse! I have posted soo much about it in the past on various forums, but sadly there is no way around it. I just have to deal with the fact that some people are playing at 850mhz and I'm down here at 700mhz..maybe if the voltmod was increased a little higher or tweaked for the GF116 it would help, but I think the GF116 just has certain limitations, I don't know why. Hope this helped.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't worry about it, I have MAJOR trouble with it as well. It's most likely your chip, the newer kind GF116 has problems with this kind of stuff. Mine also only maxes at 770, and can only stably run games at 700mhz without crashing. Without the voltmod bios it's much worse! I have posted soo much about it in the past on various forums, but sadly there is no way around it. I just have to deal with the fact that some people are playing at 850mhz and I'm down here at 700mhz..maybe if the voltmod was increased a little higher or tweaked for the GF116 it would help, but I think the GF116 just has certain limitations, I don't know why. Hope this helped.

Hi guys,

my first post..

I'm running the GF116 gpu too, i am only getting .86 in the a08..

gues it doesn't work on the new one :(

Pete.

Hi and welcome to T|I

I'm running the GF116 gpu too, i am only getting .86 in the a08..

gues it doesn't work on the new one :(

I have an idea, let me take a look at it.

• Thumbs Up 1

This should hopefully fix it. I don't have an M14x to test it myself, so please report back if you (or anyone else) are going to test it.

After flashing the BIOS please enter the BIOS, load the default settings, save and exit & reboot.

As always, you are responsible for the changes you made on your system.

EDIT: Removed the attachment and added it to the main post .

Edited by svl7
  • Thumbs Up 2

This should hopefully fix it. I don't have an M14x to test it myself, so please report back if you (or anyone else) are going to test it.

After flashing the BIOS please enter the BIOS, load the default settings, save and exit & reboot.

As always, you are responsible for the changes you made on your system.

looks good now :)

post-3369-14494992978584_thumb.png

3dm has gone up from: P6734 to P7148

post-3369-14494992978814_thumb.png

I tried 770,1540,1100 & 750,1500, 1000 but I get artifacts and crashes.

I'm going to work now,later on i will up it slowly till I get some better results...

Thanks

Pete.

Edited by 7r0jan
updated info
  • Thumbs Up 2

Cool, thank you for testing! I'm going to add this to the main post, I might update the old versions as well when I come around to do so, but probably only if some users wish this. I see no reason to be on an older BIOS. (Well, maybe in this case it can make sense since A05 seems to have better SATA3 support).

UPDATE:

Added a fixed A08 version to the main post. It adds support for the newer 555m revision (GF116) which apparently for which apparently the voltmod hasn't been working properly before. Thanks @7r0jan for testing.

Please report any possible issues, general feedback welcome as well. Have fun overclocking!

• Thumbs Up 1

UPDATE:

Added a fixed A08 version to the -voltage-increase-nvidia-gt-555m-7.html#post12003"]main post. It adds support for the newer 555m revision (GF116) which apparently for which apparently the voltmod hasn't been working properly before. Thanks @7r0jan for testing.

Please report any possible issues, general feedback welcome as well. Have fun overclocking!

Thanks so much for looking into it! :D

EDIT: It's going up to the right voltage, but still not doing much for me. I think this is just because I have a weaker 555m than everyone else for some reason. It makes it farther in 3Dmark11 than it ever did at 740mhz, but still crashes. I can still only run Crysis 2 without crashing and BF3 without artifacts at 700mhz:( Again I imagine this is only me though.

Edited by elmo

Thanks, I really appreciate this mod to the VBIOS. I was stuck at 753 MHz for GPU and 1080 MHz for memory using only eVGA precision X. Now with the A08 bios (GF116) I can increase to 850 GPU and 1080 memory while remaining around ~ 68 degrees with the Antec Cooler 200. However when playing on the MX14's screen (1600X900) it runs stable at 850 during BF3 but not when I play though my monitor (BENQ EW2420) (1920X1080). When I play on my monitor I have decrease the GPU clock speed to about 820. I used Fur-Mark to check stability: 15 minutes, no AA, burn-in, dynamic background.

Anyways, the increased performance is much appreciated!

post-3452-14494992984611_thumb.gif

post-3452-14494992984395_thumb.gif

Thanks so much for looking into it! :D
Thanks, I really appreciate this mod to the VBIOS.

Thank you for the feedback guys! Glad to hear you like it, and I really appreciate the feedback :)

Elmo: Yeah, you seem to be a bit unlucky regarding the OC ability of your GPU, but that's not unusual when it comes to pushing the limits, some cards simply can clock higher than others.

Sean Declan Midwood: Welcome to T|I! I recommend not to use Fur-Mark at any time, even at stock voltage and clocks. It mostly stresses the voltage circuitry of the card and can be rather harmful in some cases. If you ask me, as long as the clocks are stable for the games you play, you're fine.

Do you play at 1080p when using the external monitor? This could explain the lower max clocks.

looks good now :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3934[/ATTACH]

3dm has gone up from: P6734 to P7148

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3935[/ATTACH]

I tried 770,1540,1100 & 750,1500, 1000 but I get artifacts and crashes.

I'm going to work now,later on i will up it slowly till I get some better results...

Thanks

Pete.

thanks for testing thats great news :)

You are very right bout the stuation of these chips. My GT580m clock similar to your card they seem to not artifact stock volts at 675 core up fromm 620 but doesn't game at or handle much over you 700 on added volt mod. Temps are dramatically hotter even down to stock clocks the volts really add heat. I feel your pain where some people are running 580s at 750-820 :( so your gt555m seems to handle similar.

Thanks for the tip svl7 , i'll switch to 3D Mark 11. I think Your right about the the lower clocks being the result of using an external monitor.

Yeah makes good sense. The display probably takes more resources from the gpu when paired with your internal display. You can try disabling the internal lcd once the external display is hooled and make it the only display so it's the primary. Maybe running single display external would help?

Your right, the external led is more resource demanding, although i enjoy an auxiliary screen while gaming i prefer a higher fps, so now i just play with the external monitor. BF3 plays on medium ~ 40 fps compared to ~ 29 before the mod.

Also if anyone is interested, the windows experience for 3d business and gaming jumped from 6.6 to 7.1 out o 7.9 with the volt mod!

Hi and welcome to T|I nengbersen!

Never heard of this issue... which BIOS version? Which drivers are you using? Do you use an external monitor?

Also make sure there's no program running in the background. Did you load and save the default settings in the BIOS after flashing?

• 1 month later...