[Mod] Voltage increase Nvidia GT 555M

[MENTION=340]Alex Six[/MENTION] thanks for posting there... I'm sure it will help get some mods done to the M14x bios. Welcome to Tech | Inferno. I'm sure other M14x owners appreciate your effort too.

• Thumbs Up 1

You can't expect them to reply so fast, and to be honest, it isn't very likely that we will have a modded BIOS anytime soon... they have tons of requests and it's a lot of work and time involved doing this. And before the M14x gets unlocked I want to see a modded M15x BIOS, hahahahah :D

Anybody here with some crazy disassembling and hex skills? :D

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I'm not an expert at this, not at all, but I think I found the VBIOS file in the BIOS.

Since I don't know for sure which strings are representing the voltage I can't really modify something at the moment, but if it's possible to raise the voltage in the VBIOS it should probably be possible to put it back in the BIOS and flash it. But I'm unaware of how exactly the Insyde BIOS files are encoded...

In case some of you have some more experience with this I attach the file to this post.

The original name in the BIOS was "BA1CA15C-EAC1-4136-AF18-456189F5C31C_1_633.ROM"

​Have fun! :D

Edit: So, hope the attachment shows up now.

GT_555m.zip

Edited by svl7

Ok... will try if I (or any other person I know) can do anything... I dont have dissasembled the M14X yet because its useless... I´m sure you can raise the Voltage of the GPU VR via Hardmod... there is always a VR and so the possibility to hardmod. but its useless because of the clock lockinging of the GPU

Ok... will try if I (or any other person I know) can do anything... I dont have dissasembled the M14X yet because its useless... I´m sure you can raise the Voltage of the GPU VR via Hardmod... there is always a VR and so the possibility to hardmod. but its useless because of the clock lockinging of the GPU

Yeah, I asked at MVKtech, maybe master Mavke can see what's possible with the VBIOS, as far as I see this it should be possible to replace the file in the BIOS...

I don't have an M14x, so I'm not completely familiar with it... the core clock is locked? You can't go higher than a certain clock, no matter which tool you use?

800 on the core is the max in NV inspector and 770 in Afterburner... in NV Inspector you can go higher but when you hit apply it will go back to 790 on core... thats the reason, why i not looked for a hardmod on the mainboard...

800 on the core is the max in NV inspector and 770 in Afterburner... in NV Inspector you can go higher but when you hit apply it will go back to 790 on core... thats the reason, why i not looked for a hardmod on the mainboard...

Ok, I see... well a hardmod should be possible, but with this limitation it's of course useless.

Can someone tell me the voltage of the different performance profiles? I don't have a 555m to check it myself :D

Great, you should be able to read it out with the Nvidia Inspector if I remember correctly, it allows you to choose the different profiles for overclocking and should also show the voltage if I'm not mistaken.

as i thought.... xD NV Inspector shows on every stage 0,812. Seems that the NV GPU is not using dynamic Voltages in the 3 different performance settings...

Hmm, could be a problem with Nvidia Inspector, I can't remember whether it displayed the voltage correctly for the different profiles when I had the GTX 470m in the system...

Can you tell me what voltage it says when you're at 3d clocks (in GPU-Z)? Also if a third voltage shows up somewhere in between... would be great to know.

According to Saltius at MVKtech there are four values in the VBIOS (0.83v,0.88v,0.93v and 1.00v).

I remember him... he helped me with som bios of a GTX295... xD I check now what GPU-Z shows... report asap ...

====EDIT====

In all 3 modes: 0,8620 VDDC on Core

maybe GPU-Z also shows false values... checked it with benchmark at 100% Load

Edited by n3ocort3x

Well, as long as I don't know at which voltage the card runs, I also can't really tell whether it can get increased...

If I had access to a M14x I could try to measure the voltage directly at the GPU, but I don't know anyone with such a system.

By the way, the max overclock is 790MHz core and nothing can bring it above?

yeah... the main problem is that i´m very lazy... i could take the voltage measuring also xD @ my m14x the max oc is 770 in Afterburner (cannot more adjust) ant 790 in NV inspector... When I choose 800 in NV inspector it will go back to 790 on Core...

Hy svl7... good news.... with EVGA Precison its possible to raise the clocks above 800... xD With other words... i will teardwon the m14x and search for the VR of the GPU... Or you have a high res image of the mainboard where i can take a look...

Awesome!! I've found a pic of the M14x mobo online, but unfortunately the heatsink is still mounted and even though the resolution isn't that bad, it's pretty hard to make out the details. Check it out:

post-80-1449498848077_thumb.jpg

You can see the four big electrolytic capacitors, marked orange... the voltage regulator needs to be as close as possible to them, so it's on the other side of the mobo, I think it's the IC which I marked yellow, but I can't say it for sure, you need to check it.

If you want to measure the core voltage, one possibility would be using one of the marked capacitors (the positive end). It's easy to solder a cable there. A more accurate way would be using one of the ceramic capacitors just below the die, but I can't tell you which of them would do the job since I can't test it myself.

• Thumbs Up 1