[Mod] Voltage increase Nvidia GT 555M

Hey, After playing dishonored for awhile my Voltage will revert back to 0.83v, Can anyone help me on this ?

Just to check for others whom may be able to help... How do you know as in what method are you checking voltage with? Which tool etc?

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

Just to check for others whom may be able to help... How do you know as in what method are you checking voltage with? Which tool etc?

I'm using Hwmonitor for the Voltage... Was just playing Xcom, Very Smooth... @ 800/1080/1600 than frame drops from 60 to 10 or 15, I alt tab out and open upp Hwmonitor

And the Voltage for the GPU reads 0.83V @max...

I'm using Hwmonitor for the Voltage... Was just playing Xcom, Very Smooth... @ 800/1080/1600 than frame drops from 60 to 10 or 15, I alt tab out and open upp Hwmonitor

Perhaps this due to a certain gpu speed profile loading thats not commonly used or adjusted. Like if its overheating and switching to a 2d clock rate or theres a power issue and its pushing it back to 2clocks. Or is. 83v the stock on those?

Svl7 would be able to explain better. His bios/vbiod usually work as designed so im not sure why you see. 83v

Svl7 might be able to tell you if that reading is even accurate... If it runs the same but shows that it could be just not reported right. I do know SVL7 usually says the most accurate is to read the volt directly from the gpu with a volt meter because monitoring tools are famous for reporting default values even after modification.

Does it feel destabilized at all when this occurs? Well you said the frames drop... So i know that... Maybe the frames drop for another undetermined reason and the moment you alt tab and check volts since your ln desktop it may already have switched to a 2d clock maybe thats why the. 83v.

I think you should try this. Let me know if you need help setting it up but search the web for MSI Afterburner and use it just to monitor not Overclock. Use its On Screen Display OSD option to set your temps and clocks on display in game. Next get HWiNFO and go to sensor window select options and go to the voltage reading and set it to show on riva tuner OSD etc select a line to put it on i guess if its your only readong you want from HWiNFO just set line to 1. Feel free to put cpu speed or temps on another line or lines. Launch game and see what HWiNFO shows on this OSD in game for you cpu gpu speeds temps and gpu volts. You should be able to watch your gpu volts in realtime like that. I use it a lot in game.

Not even A min in game... Glitch, Flickers, Blackscreen for 2 seconds than loads back the game at 13 FPS - 15 FPS ...

GPU Temp when it appeared 60C* .Core Temps highest 75* C Used GPU-Z and Hwmonitor plus that HWinfo... After glitching and reload of game all Current GPU voltage jumps from 0.93v t0 0.83V ... So i Revert my Core Clock from 800 to 725 in the Nvidia System Tools, Than ran the game and GPU-Z states the following : GPU load 99% GPU core clock never goes over 202.5Mhz GPU memo 324.0Mhz GPU Shader 405.0 Mhz ... But in Nvidia i set it to 725/1080 ... Not to mention, Only when i restart my computer and start the game the voltage goes back to 0.93v's back goes back to normal allover again

Seemed to fixed the problem... Uninstalled Nvidia Performance tool and installed EVGA Precision 2.something something... Either way, problem is gone now. Thanks for the fast replies and help everyone, great thanks. One question, If i overclock my i7 2630QM and Off Turbo Boost, Will my Overclock still work ? Will it be over 2.0Ghz ? or at least 2.5 Ghz ?

If i overclock my i7 2630QM and Off Turbo Boost, Will my Overclock still work ? Will it be over 2.0Ghz ? or at least 2.5 Ghz ?

As far as I know, you cant overclock the 2630QM, because the clock multiplier on that CPU is locked, if you want to overclock your CPU, you must get the Extreme Edition which has its clock multiplier unlocked by default, also if you want a 2.6Ghz clockspeed CPU, you can however install the Ivy Bridge i7 3720QM, though personally I dont recommend you to overclock the CPU since the M14x has only one heat pipe overclock the CPU and the GPU simultaneously would increase the chance of overheating the computer.

But for my curiousity, why do you want to overclock your CPU? Isnt 2Ghz is fast enough?

As far as I know, you cant overclock the 2630QM, because the clock multiplier on that CPU is locked, if you want to overclock your CPU, you must get the Extreme Edition which has its clock multiplier unlocked by default, also if you want a 2.6Ghz clockspeed CPU, you can however install the Ivy Bridge i7 3720QM, though personally I dont recommend you to overclock the CPU since the M14x has only one heat pipe overclock the CPU and the GPU simultaneously would increase the chance of overheating the computer.

But for my curiousity, why do you want to overclock your CPU? Isnt 2Ghz is fast enough?

Only other thing is a baseclock overclock and you wont get very far maybe up 1-3%. There will be added heat but if your willing to work at getting your temps down it might not be a problem. Best bet is if you do cpu make it small and concentrate more on the gpu.

For certain games it not, At least 2.5 Ghz that's what i'm looking for.

- - - Updated - - -

Only other thing is a baseclock overclock and you wont get very far maybe up 1-3%. There will be added heat but if your willing to work at getting your temps down it might not be a problem. Best bet is if you do cpu make it small and concentrate more on the gpu.

Yes, baseoverclock i've done it before. But now my question is, If I do a Baseoverclock on my 2630qm and leave Turbo Boost off will I get a speed increase ?

- - - Updated - - -

Don't mind the grammar errors. couldn't be bothered.

For certain games it not, At least 2.5 Ghz that's what i'm looking for.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, baseoverclock i've done it before. But now my question is, If I do a Baseoverclock on my 2630qm and leave Turbo Boost off will I get a speed increase ?

- - - Updated - - -

Don't mind the grammar errors. couldn't be bothered.

yup any cpu sate is therefore modified. My 2960xm stock non turbo is 2.7ghz if I baseclock overclock I would see into 2.8ghz somewhere in the range like follows: 27x (multiplier) * 100mhz baseclock = 2.7ghz 27x (multi) * 104mhz baseclock= 2808mhz :) so yes setting turbo to off and baseclock overclocking you can still increase you cpu speed. if you use Throttle Stop you can limit the cpu to any multiplier in turbo or non turbo range. for example on my 2960XM I want the benefit of overclocking my baseclock so my ram runs at a higher speed but I want turbo off. So i set turbo off and set 104mhz baseclock and boot. it boots at 2.8ghz and i go to throttle stop and go to multiplier toggle and press down tilll it says 26x now it has ram overclocked running a 27x multi at boot but since baseclock is overclocked boots at 2.8ghz and once window loads and I have Throttle stop start with windows it sets multi back to 26x giving me stock 2.7ghz ... non turbo speeds but with the benefit of the baseclock overclock. So truly there is so much possible its up to you how you want to set it. You can also disable hyperthreading if you want even lower temps and lower power used at same speeds (also will give more overclock room). Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Do i need this voltage mod to be able to overclock ? tried over clocking on afterburner but when i click apply the values changes back to default :S

and i cant download this yet without 5 comments lol ( thats 1 down )

but if anyone can help me with my overclocking issue would be great !

Do i need this voltage mod to be able to overclock ? tried over clocking on afterburner but when i click apply the values changes back to default :S

and i cant download this yet without 5 comments lol ( thats 1 down )

but if anyone can help me with my overclocking issue would be great !

Afterburner 2.2.4

UnofficialOverclockingMode= 1

In the config file

Then when you launch it, accept the ToS prompt.

I seem to be having an issue, i installed a voltmod from here, (A08 i believe) anyway now when i try to revert back to the dell bios it gives me a few errors(and doesnt install).

The errors are as follows:

IHISI: get support mode fail in SMI

Bios did not support InsydeFlash!

IHISI: Flash complete error in SMI!

If anyone could help me out i would be grateful.

I just want to go back to standard bios because im done experimenting with overclocks.

(Also, i can switch between the modded bios it seems, but not back to official bios.)

Yea, Its an R1, and i tried running that, get the same 3 errors. x_X

Ile keep trying things, but any suggestions are welcome.

- - - Updated - - -

Ooops, Fixed it XD

Was a newby mistake, had HT disabled in the unlocked bios, guess the bios updater didnt take kindly to that x_X

Thanks for the help though guys, much apreciated.

• Thumbs Up 1

Very interesting. I didn't expect this to mess anything up. Might be a bug in the Insyde firmware. Can't really believe that this is intended... anyway, great to know. So if it doesn't flash one should first try to go to the bios and load the default settings. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Is there anyone here ho has FRIED their GPU by overclocking? cuz all i've found in the forums are people who have disfunction when overclocking, but none ever broken it, can some one tell their sad story? :culpability:

Well, I dont think there are any, because before you could fried their GPU, their CPU might have been long fried as well, since the GPU is on the same heat pipe but behind the CPU. It might possible but I dont think it will, because Windows has another layer of protection which is that infamous BSOD, it would stop your computer even before it happen and OEM like Dell should also have this "overheat shutdown" protection as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Voltage mod for the Nvidia GT 555m of the M14x

INSTRUCTIONS:

Attached is the repacked BIOS which contains the modified VBIOS. Extract it and simply execute InsydeFlash.exe and it the flashing procedure will start.

Remember to close all applications in the background before doing this and make sure your system doesn't accidentally shutdown during the process.

After flashing, I highly recommend going to the BIOS, load the default settings, apply and reboot. This will cause the system to reinitialize the hardware and can save you from some issues in certain cases.

I followed instructions and my BIOS has changed (unlocked one)... but I still can't change my voltage... what am I doing wrong? :(. plz help me

Guys, I'd like to thank you all for this very useful post!!! And thanks to svl7!

The only question I have: has someone considered the impact of overvolting the GPU over the AC/DC adapter and the battery?

I noticed that my adapter gets fairly hot after a couple of hours of gaming... I was wondering if an higher demand of power could damage it.

In my experience Dell uses pretty good PSUs for their AW line. Even at stock voltage it will get warm after a couple of hours gaming, a bit less probably but it will get warm. My M15x came with a 150W PSU, and it's still working great even though I used it with my overvolted 5850m for a long time, and that was a way higher overvolt. I even used it with the 6900m series, which caused the system to use about 30W more than at stock configuration, the PSU run at 180W weeks, no issues at all. It only tripped when it hit 200W :D

Anyway, what I want to say, I'm sure there's enough headroom regarding the PSU, it's only a tiny voltage increase. The battery shouldn't get used when the PSU is plugged in, the power won't come from it, so that shouldn't be a problem either.