[Mod] Voltage increase Nvidia GT 555M

Ok, I think I figured out how to repack the VBIOS into the BIOS, problem I'm not that confident with the Nvidia VBIOS stuff, so in case someone at MVKtech can help me mod it, I can repack it and you can try the BIOS.

The problem is that even though they found the voltage strings, they have no idea how exactly each voltage is linked to each performance profile, and according to you the GPU-Z readings don't really make sense, so even we find a way to measure the GPU voltage, or we simply try and we'll find out as well after a while I guess.

I wish I had access to a M14x, I'd so love to try this... it's always fun to do some pioneering work on a new system. :D

The yellow marked VR is the following:

it looks like its a VR for a CPU... but maybe its the VR for the GPU... but one Datasheet is better than none... its readable without teardown the whole machine... Here is the link

http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn6359.pdf

fact is...: That VR is easy to modify. Thanks to you slv7... NOW I teardown the machine at tuesday and have a closer look... xD Resistors are ready to use... xD

To the Bios: If you have one... i´ll try it for you... no problem...I dont fear such things... xD

On the Pic: What is CPU and what is GPU ???

Edited by n3ocort3x

You can see it when you look at the socket, nr. 2 is the CPU, nr. 3 the GPU.

As I said, I'm not 100% sure about the VR, but the location would fit pretty well. You have to check it yourself. There's of course also a VR for the CPU... and one for the VRam (though that's usually not a 40 pin chip). You can easily tell which VR is for the CPU and which for the GPU when you remove the heatsink and take a closer look at the conducting paths.

This was more an educated guess, you need to verify this before starting to tinker with it ;)

yeah the paths are not visible (picture)... No VRAM is usually 8 tp 12 Pin not more (think about the 4870 Series and the 3870 series) there were 8 pin VR´s... that one is really good situated... if it is the right... measuring and modding is no problem...but the only way to verify is to disassemble the notebook...and that is what I have to do this week... and now for real...xD I promise... xD

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok guys, here's a BIOS which contains a modified VBIOS, the voltage setting of performance profile P15 (3d) got changed from "setting 01" to "setting 02". The voltage table of the vbios contains values of 0.83V, 0.88V, 0.93V and 1.00V. The problem is, there's no way to tell which voltage actually gets used by the GPU since GPU-Z doesn't seem to report it properly.

So in theory the voltage should now be set to 0.93V, there's still the question whether the voltage regulator allows to change the voltage. Well, only way to find out is to try it. If you're able to overclock higher with this BIOS, it's working.

Since I'm not that familiar with Nvidia VBIOS files I didn't mod it myself, the VBIOS got modded by Saltius at mvktech.com, a big thanks to him for taking a look at the VBIOS.

I only extracted the VBIOS from the BIOS file and repacked it. Since some of you seem to prefer BIOS A01 took this version for the mod, in case you want it on another BIOS revisio I can easily repack it, just let me know.

Hope someone can test this as I unfortunately haven't got access to a M14x. Let me know about the results.

Attached is only the BIOS file, it can be flashed with your preferred method, for example with the tool that Dell includes in the BIOS updates. The only thing changed is the VBIOS, everything else is untouched, BIOS A01.

M14x A01 voltmod.zip

Thanks slv7... i download it now and test it tomorow BEFORE i disasemble... xD apreciate the work of ya both... maybe steve can post if his flash worked or not...... We close to get what we want... xD

can you give me a link to that "tool" I can flash with ?? I dont want to make something stupid... only to be on the safe side... xD

Edited by n3ocort3x

Voltage mod for the Nvidia GT 555m of the M14x

This is an Alienware M14x BIOS containing a modified VBIOS which has a slightly increased GPU core voltage at 3d clocks. The increased voltage will allow you to overclock the GPU core a bit more. So far people got it up to 850MHz, but each chip is different. The system will draw a bit more power and run warmer than before.

If you want to see some results, -voltage-increase-nvidia-gt-555m-8.html#post12013"]P1900 and -voltage-increase-nvidia-gt-555m-8.html#post12027"]even more is possible in 3dMark11, thanks to this mod.

Since the VBIOS of this system is part of the BIOS, modifying it isn't as easy as playing with a vbios of a dedicated GPU. I had find and extract the VBIOS file from the BIOS. Since I don't have a lot of practice with modifying Nvidia bios files I needed some help there, so thanks to Saltius from MVKtech for identifying the voltage strings and modifying the VBIOS. Also thanks @n3ocort3x for starting this project and @Ninjahunter for testing it, and thanks to everyone else involved!

INSTRUCTIONS:

Attached is the repacked BIOS which contains the modified VBIOS. Extract it and simply execute InsydeFlash.exe and it the flashing procedure will start.

Remember to close all applications in the background before doing this and make sure your system doesn't accidentally shutdown during the process.

After flashing, I highly recommend going to the BIOS, load the default settings, apply and reboot. This will cause the system to reinitialize the hardware and can save you from some issues in certain cases.

As already mentioned, overvolting always comes with raised temperatures. Make sure your system can handle the additional amount of heat. Check the airflow, a dust-free system is important and reapplying the thermal paste can lower your temperature by several degrees.And keep in mind that this only changes the core voltage of the GPU, not the memory voltage. So this will only affect the maximum overclock on the core.

Update: Repacked the unlocked BIOS A03 with the modified VBIOS, check the attachements.

Update 2: Repacked BIOS A05 with the modded VBIOS.

Update 3: Repacked the unlocked BIOS A05 with the modded VBIOS.

Update 4: Repacked BIOS A07 & A08 with the modded VBIOS, attached below.

Update 5: Unlocked A07 & A08 with modded VBIOS added.

Update 6: New version of A08 uploaded, volt mod now works for GF116 as well. Users with the newer 555m revision (GF116 - check GPU-Z) seem to have issues with the original mod. So please use the updated A08 version attached at the end of the post ("GF116 fix"). It will also work for GF106 systems. I will upload a fix for the unlocked version of A08 as well, as soon as I get around to do so.

UPDATE: Two new versions of A08 added which bring back the SATA behavior of A05, so GF116 users can enjoy more SATA speed as well. Or for all GF106 users which want to use the latest BIOS but keep the SATA behavior from A05. Standard and unlocked versions added.

If you like these BIOS releases, please consider a donation to Tech|Inferno.

#As always with such mods: You are responsible for all the changes at your system and do this at your own risk

M14x A01 voltmod flash package.zip

M14x unlocked A03 with GT555m volt mod.zip

M14x A05 incl VBIOS volt mod.zip

M14x unlocked A05 incl VBIOS volt mod.zip

M14x [unlocked] A08 with voltmod.zip

M14x A07 - voltmod.zip

M14x A08 - voltmod.zip

M14x A08 - voltmod - GF116 fix.zip

M14xR1_A08_voltmod_incl_GF116_support_&_SATA_fix.zip

M14xR1_A08_[unlocked]_voltmod_incl_GF116_&_SATA_fix.zip

Edited by svl7
Update with GF116 fix
  • Thumbs Up 30

Confirmed working, i just hit 825,1050 (stable) and thats just my first test.

After some testing im maxing around 835,1000 any higher memory causes massive instability.

Edited by Ninjahunter
my max without crashing is 835,1000
  • Thumbs Up 2

Umm, i have the volt mod, 280.26 driver and i use evga precision, those are the only overclocking related things i use.

But you should keep in mind not all cards overclock the same, like stevenx got a solid 20mhz(stable) over me without the vmod. Try overclocking with different drivers, so far the 275.27, 275.30, 280.26 and 280.28 perform roughly the same.

Umm, i have the volt mod, 280.26 driver and i use evga precision, those are the only overclocking related things i use.

But you should keep in mind not all cards overclock the same, like stevenx got a solid 20mhz(stable) over me without the vmod. Try overclocking with different drivers, so far the 275.27, 275.30, 280.26 and 280.28 perform roughly the same.

I was wondering if someone tried to change the thermal paste to something more conductive maybe???

Also i wonder if having the 2820qm is not the problem for my low overclock as it might run hotter and bring it to the gpu!!

Hehehe, great work guys!! Exclusive at T|I, the most powerful M14x systems :D

I modified the first post of the thread and linked to the BIOS, also adjusted the thread title.

• Thumbs Up 3

Omg and I'm at work and can't test it.... I'm so nervous...xD thanks to ya slv7... Question: wich voltage is set actually in mod bios ?? Can you make more modded with different voltages ??? (3 or so with one xtreme voltage... 1.05 or 1.1 volt) thank ya all guys. Great work