m17x R2 Clevo 7970m BIOS Version 015.024.000.002.043595 (BR43595.003)

properhit

Greetings

I recently purchased a clevo 7970m (Bios 015.024.000.002.043595 (BR43595.003) for my m17x r2. I have not received the card yet, but after reading some threads I saw mention of certain bios versions (the latest ones) are incompatible. That the card would need 015.021 or later. and further more trying to down grade will brick the card.

IS there any advice as to what my options are or if the card should just be returned. They ship it out Monday.

Thank you in advance for any help or thoughts.:Banane13:

-Proper

Congrats on the new card! :) You're going to really enjoy it since it's a massive jump in performance from your 4870M.

I don't think you have to worry since you have a CLEVO card. Those reports were for Dell cards. There hasn't been any reports of newer CLEVO card's having the same behaviour so I think you're fairly safe.

That vBIOS came with @nitsun69's CLEVO 7970M and worked perfectly with no compatibility issues. After some googling I found that, that vBIOS seems to be built for the P370EM.. and is enduro enabled. So I have no idea how it worked in his R2 honestly. Another strange thing was that his vBIOS had default 1000mhz core and 1400mhz memory clocks... so someone most probably tinkered with it. He took the below GPU-Z screenshot.

post-166-14494996351699_thumb.gif

He subsequently flashed a stock undervolted vBIOS since his temps were hitting 90C's with those clocks and didn't backup the version that came with the card. If you could, please backup that vBIOS and post it here once the card arrives.

@svl7 Do you have a copy of this vBIOS by any chance?

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you. You guys are great! Sorry i was afk for a few days! I thought i was getting email updates to this thread :fatigue:

anywho..

svl7, I ordered the card off of ebay, with no x bracket, for $360! =D

but the card is in Russia and i will not receive it until next month! =( I live in Florida, USA

nospheratu, thats great to know thanks for checking. Yes it has Enduro enabled, what does that mean?

I lucked out with this laptop, someone posted it on craigs list for $100. said it would not boot. Sold me the manual, OS, Drivers disc, power plug, i7, blueray burner, it had two fried 4870ms and fried wifi/ bluetooth cards. after removing one of the videocards the computer booted! but i have a blank/ black screen (and the monitor is not detected in windows) so assuming this second card is fried i purchased an "upgrade".:cool: (this after trying the extreme option of replacing the mobo)

When i receive the card in the mail ( next month, yikes) i will get the bios off it and post it here asap.

as far as for heat, i am getting in touch with eurocom about the heat sink mod for the 7970m in the m17x r2, and i ordered 24 carat ic diamond paste. I know this baby will fry itself if youre not careful.

thank you for your kind help!

Ill stay updated on this thread :stung:

Enduro is AMD's switchable graphics tech which we dont have on our systems since we have no integrated GPU.

It should boot with that vBIOS though since I think its made to work on both Enduro and Non Enduro machines which could explain how nitsun69 was able to use it. You can then flash it with a Non Enduro version like the one from my sig which has been proven to work with our machines and our RGB screens without issue.

@naspheratu Incredible, read some on your post from the sig, did not know that certain bios versions could corrupt to the RBG screen. My friend purchased a m15x r1 a few months back, and the screen quality (color depth, viewing angle ect) was amazing. so i am anxious to get my screen working with proper drivers =)

to be clear, when i receive the 7970m card, rip the current bios from it and share it here, then apply the bios that @svl7 has supplied above, correct? because in your signature i see your provide a few options depending on your use or setup. I have quite a bit of 'working with desktop knowledge' but flashing the vbios is new to me and i do not want to fry a nice card =)

More background on the card I ordered from the seller:

"Was installed on a laptop Clevo P370EM. Bios card 015.024.000.002.043595 (BR43595.003). This version of the BIOS graphics card is suitable to laptop P370EM. [FONT=Arial]This card is perfect for laptops Clevo P151EM/P170EM/P370EM/P570EM. At the expense of other models of laptops I can not say anything." [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]

@naspheratu you were right on the cards origin!

Update, Eurocom wanted to sell me a already modded heatsink but they were out of them, but basically said that i had to "grind down the low area where the vram goes" on the heat sink. is there a good guide for this? This is a bit of an extreme mod that I do not want to botch.[/FONT]

:81:

-Proper

to be clear, when i receive the 7970m card, rip the current bios from it and share it here, then apply the bios that @svl7 has supplied above, correct? ....

-Proper

No,you need to work on your reading skills Lol :D

The vBIOS that svl7 posted is the same vBIOS you should be getting with the new card. You should flash the version in my sig as that's the one that works correctly on our machine. That said, you can still use the card with the vBIOS that it comes with if it works without problems. If you get a full white screen or any screen anomalies then change to the vBIOS in my sig.

Before you flash though read svl7's AMD flash guide a couple of times to make sure you are familiar with the process.

• 2 weeks later...
i know this is a bit off topic and im sorry if this is the wrong place to post but im looking for these cards is there any place where they are still available?

Try placing a wanted advert on T|I's or NBR's marketplace. The cheapest I've found the card new was on RJTECH for $475. Also try contacting Eurocom directly.

edit: If you're still looking for a CLEVO card just saw this listed on ebay for $450. They are new cards and it the seller has very good feedback. Free shipping in the US but they also ship internationally. You would have to contact them for shipping prices if you're outside the US.

Hey Hey! Update: the seller of the clevo card out of russia contacted me this morning via ebay to let me know the card was out for delivery today! i have an engagement to go to tonight but i will let you guys know tomorrow morning asap. I got my thermal compound form ic diamond and the x bracket and thermal pads from the great guys at eurocom. All i have to do is modify the m17x r2 heat sink to fit the 7970m. this to me is the trickiest part. if anyone has any help they con provide iu will be very thankful this thanks giving.

hope everyone has a great thanks giving ( or great any other day =) )

cheers

@properhit: As far as I know, all you need to do with the m17x R2 heatsink is to replace the screws used with the ones of the clevo card, and make sure not to overtighten (i'd heard it's a risk for clevo users - for dell cards the screws fit just right once the washers are removed). Use padding in the right places (over inductors, ram and VRM's) and enjoy.

@sangemaru I got the new screws for the 7970m x bracket. The seller requested the package to be signed for and i was at work, so no card today, i will have to pick it up tomorrow. I will be reading through the bios flashing guide tonight and get set up for that. Thank you for your input about the heat sink mod. The guy at eurocom seemed pretty adamint about modifying the heatsink so it gets proper seating over the card or he said there would be an air gap over some of the chips (not exactly sure where, he was not specific).

I just dont want to fry the card, obviously once i get the card i will line them up and see whats going on there.

Cheers

Did you install the card already? Or are you installing it tonight?

edit: If you can run the card with the vBIOS it came with and see if you experience any problems. The only reason to use my modded vBIOS or the version its based on is if you intend to overclock or you experience any problems with the display. If it boots up fine and you're able to load Windows fine you might want to continue using it as its a newer version than the one my mod is based on.

I did install the card already with IC diamond paste, (my temps max out around 76c) the screen and card run great.

Will this vbios mess up my RGB screen? i thought that was the reason to mod the bios from the one it has now.. otherwise everything runs smooth as velvet.:cool:

• Thumbs Up 1

That's great news! :)

Previous vBIOS's that caused damage to our RGB screens had screen anomalies before it actually took out the screen so if you experience any white screens or screens with unusually high levels of brightness then flash the version in my sig.

You can also use my modded vBIOS if you want to overclock as it has OverDrive enabled in CCC which makes it easier to change clocks. Another use is if you want to undervolt to make your cards run cooler at stock clocks.

I know I'm unable to get HDMi audio working with the vBIOS version I'm using so if you're able to, I'd appreciate it if you could test the HDMi audio if possible. Could you take a printscreen of GPUshark in detailed view as I'd like to see what voltage your card is running at in 3D mode. Thanks :)

Also, update your sig! :D

This screen is amazing, in the dark my friends and i drool a little. My touch pad is blown, so it needs to be replaced, then its (almost) mobile (the bettery doesnt even last an hour, without gaming! hah)

anyway.. I did try the hdmi. I get video but no audio =(

I did get vid and audio with the 4870m, the 7970m should be capable of pushing both.. I know @sangemaru gets audio and video out of the hdmi, what gives! :crushed:

Here is the screen shot of the GPU Shark, while playing sanctum 2.

Steam ID - StoneyBologna420

post-19622-14494996667585_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the screenprint. It seems your card is running lower voltage than normal at 1.000V which is a good for temps.

HDMi functionality is card and brand specific. Also remember the 7970M is unsupported in our machines so not everything will be perfectly compatible. For us CLEVO users that means no HDMi audio and no Display Port.

sangemaru is able to have working HDMi audio and video since he has a Dell card but he does not have auto fan control and has to use HWinfo to control the GPU fans. If he doesn't the GPU fans are linked to the CPU fan speeds.

• 1 month later...

@Nospheratu, got weird memory issue the other night. I bought a WD 750gb sata 3gbs HDD to up the space as my primary drive.

I was installing windows updates when the computer froze or locked up and the screen went blank. I left it for around 20 minutes, as i did not want to mess anything up. but the state did not change.

after not getting any response from key strokes, i rebooted the computer. after which experienced a few problems, it would post, but not boot, it would not even boot from the cd rom to try and do a fresh install. it would attempt to load OS and then just sit blank.

so i ran the onboard diagnostic that comes with the laptop, it had memory errors, ( i dont remember the codes)

Upon opening the bios, it was only reading one, 4gb Ram module. and the memory mode in the bios was single channel instead of dual.

I removed one of the chips, thinking one of the two 4gb modules had gone bad. But i tested both chips alone in each slot and was able to boot up fine from the single bottom ram slot with both chips, but the not the one above it. so both modules work in the one slot but not the other.

the bios does not give me the option to switch on dual over single mode, did one of the chips go bad or is my slot fried?

any thoughts would be a big help. :07:

Thank you =)

You did some pretty good troubleshooting there so there's not much left to be done. Try running the complete memory diagnostic tests on each DIMM separately in the working slot just to be sure.

If you have already done this then the only other thing I can think of is resetting the CMOS. Disconnect the AC, battery and the coin cell battery as well. Press and hold down the power button a couple of times and then leave it for around 10 mins to be sure. Connect everything up again and test.

• 2 weeks later...
@Nospheratu, got weird memory issue the other night. I bought a WD 750gb sata 3gbs HDD to up the space as my primary drive.

I was installing windows updates when the computer froze or locked up and the screen went blank. I left it for around 20 minutes, as i did not want to mess anything up. but the state did not change.

after not getting any response from key strokes, i rebooted the computer. after which experienced a few problems, it would post, but not boot, it would not even boot from the cd rom to try and do a fresh install. it would attempt to load OS and then just sit blank.

so i ran the onboard diagnostic that comes with the laptop, it had memory errors, ( i dont remember the codes)

Upon opening the bios, it was only reading one, 4gb Ram module. and the memory mode in the bios was single channel instead of dual.

I removed one of the chips, thinking one of the two 4gb modules had gone bad. But i tested both chips alone in each slot and was able to boot up fine from the single bottom ram slot with both chips, but the not the one above it. so both modules work in the one slot but not the other.

the bios does not give me the option to switch on dual over single mode, did one of the chips go bad or is my slot fried?

any thoughts would be a big help. :07:

Thank you =)

Well i had same problem.

It turned out it was my CPU that had gotten it memory handling killed.

I did go for single 8 Gb module to get my 8 gigs.

It did see the RAM in some programs, others not. HWinfo had full RAM. Also some times in CPUZ. Also showed all my memory in benchmark results.

Never could see it in BIOS and never in windows system.

For me it was the second memory bank making errors, not the first. So it did boot and ran close to normal.

I had to swap to new CPU and now it works fully again.

Have you been overclocking a bit?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...