W230ST keyboard compatibility with W740SU

Daijoubu

Hi guys, has anyone gotten the w740su here already? Anyone facing any keyboard issues? Keyboard quality seems horrendous on the w740su compared to the w230st and I was wondering whether the keyboard on the w230st can somehow be fitted on the w740su with some or no modifications. From respective keyboard disassembly videos it does seem that they have similar looking keyboards, except that the w230st has backlighting while the w740su does not.

it would be great if others can share their experience :)

Hi guys, has anyone gotten the w740su here already? Anyone facing any keyboard issues? Keyboard quality seems horrendous on the w740su compared to the w230st and I was wondering whether the keyboard on the w230st can somehow be fitted on the w740su with some or no modifications. From respective keyboard disassembly videos it does seem that they have similar looking keyboards, except that the w230st has backlighting while the w740su does not.

it would be great if others can share their experience :)

I know what you mean! I will have a look for you when I see those 2 models together later.

I know what you mean! I will have a look for you when I see those 2 models together later.

That would be great :). As long as the physical shape is the same and it can be assembled onto the laptop, I think it wouldn't be too difficult to modify the ribbon connector to be compatible I guess..

Thanks! Do you have both models on hand? :)

Ugh sorry guys, still not used to the anti spam here. I thought my replies went missing and I double/triple posted =/

• 5 months later...
That would be great :). As long as the physical shape is the same and it can be assembled onto the laptop, I think it wouldn't be too difficult to modify the ribbon connector to be compatible I guess..

Thanks! Do you have both models on hand? :)

Ugh sorry guys, still not used to the anti spam here. I thought my replies went missing and I double/triple posted =/

Sorry for the 6 month delay, not sure if you are still interested, but I did get the photos of the two keyboards side by side.

In short they are not interchangable without a lot of modification, both mechanical and electrical...

Also there is nowhere on the W740SU to plug in the illuminated keyboard, so you would lose that feature also..

post-11138-14494997509629_thumb.jpg

Here are the two keyboards, they are positioned on a W740SU chassis. The top keyboard is from the W230ST and the bottom keyboard is from the W740SU. The keys line up and the keyboards are the same overall dimensions, however that is the end of the good news!

post-11138-14494997510597_thumb.jpg

This is the underside of the two keyboards, the black one is from the W230ST. See it has two ribbon cables one for the keys and the other for the illumination. Also the position of the keyboard connector is different, which will need modification to work in the W740SU.

post-11138-14494997511519_thumb.jpg

This is the W230ST keyboard in position on the W740SU chasis, notice neither the lugs on the bottom or screw holes along the top line up...