Apply Thermal Compound to ASUS G50VT

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, sorry to bump this thread, but I have an issue.

I had the same overheating issues as you.. the GPU was especially a problem, since it would cause slowdowns in my games after a few minutes as the temperature got up to around 109. It idled between 80 and 90, since the fan would turn on at 90 and bring it back down. So I'm following your guide, I have my AC5 and the know-how. I cracked it open and took a look. ASUS apparently uses thermal pads.. the problem being, the thermal pads had literally melted!

For both the GPU and CPU, the thermal pads had holes burned into the middle of them. I removed the bit of thermal paste residue from the CPU and it seems to be fine. Idling around 45. Not good, but acceptable.

In terms of the GPU, I tried to scrape away what was left of the thermal pad, but it's hard plastic and I can't get it off. I applied the AC5 but I don't think the seal is good enough to be effective, as my GPU temps are still super high.

So, I'm kind of at a crossroads here. Are there any tricks or tips to removing the melted thermal pads? Or should I even bother?

Thanks

They might be easier to remove when they're a bit warm, you could try removing them after the machine has been running for a while, or use a hairdryer to heat them up a bit. Or try rubbing alcohol or similar to remove it.

And welcome to T|I!

They might be easier to remove when they're a bit warm, you could try removing them after the machine has been running for a while, or use a hairdryer to heat them up a bit. Or try rubbing alcohol or similar to remove it.

And welcome to T|I!

Thanks!

I tried your advice with the alcohol.. I removed enough to make a good seal with the AS5, but my temperature still idles at around 90.. even with a cooler pad.

At this point, I'm not too sure it actually was a thermal pad. It looked like a harder plastic piece that gapped between ASUS's thermal paste and the headsink. Does anyone know if they're okay to have direct contact?

I'm thinking of switching to the copper shim between the headsink, but I'll try to find some resources.

• 2 months later...
Thanks!

I tried your advice with the alcohol.. I removed enough to make a good seal with the AS5, but my temperature still idles at around 90.. even with a cooler pad.

At this point, I'm not too sure it actually was a thermal pad. It looked like a harder plastic piece that gapped between ASUS's thermal paste and the headsink. Does anyone know if they're okay to have direct contact?

I'm thinking of switching to the copper shim between the headsink, but I'll try to find some resources.

You need to clean (pretty) with alcohol, like I said in the guide the thermal pads are "melted" and you need to have a lot of patience to clean this shit...When you apply the thermal paste, must be applied uniformly, otherwise the CPU/GPU will have overheating issues...remember to avoid "air bubbles" 'cause this fuck all the process.

b safe!

Does anyone know what cooler types are suited for the g50vt my fan makes a 'rattling' noise while gaming and occassionaly even stops, making the games lag because of overheating, i recon it is not only the thermal paste that I need to replace but also the entire fan. Also any indication on the price it will cost to be done by asus?

Thanks!

Does anyone know what cooler types are suited for the g50vt my fan makes a 'rattling' noise while gaming and occassionaly even stops, making the games lag because of overheating, i recon it is not only the thermal paste that I need to replace but also the entire fan. Also any indication on the price it will cost to be done by asus?

Thanks!

First just replace the fan and put some good new thermal grease on the CPU and NB and dust out the heatsink. The new fan you'd want is the Forcecon DFS541305MH0T “F8U5” fan. Google it, they be bought new for less than $20. It's the 17-fin fastest fan you can put into the laptop.

Good luck, it should be that simple.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Why you are applying this Thormel compund in to your computer did you know why is this compund used for computer i jusy want to say you that don't apply the thermel compund to your CPU if you are facing this errors of blue screen of your computer or any power problem that your computer is not starting up properly then you may need to compud this on your Processor by puling out the fan otherwise don't try to compund spare ....

• 6 years later...

Hello guys,

regarding the thermal paste my choice the last 3 years is the K5 PRO.I have no complain about the product so I can reccomend you to give a try on your equipment.The video below is a very helpful tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gD4ZBOp-bE