Apply Thermal Compound to ASUS G50VT

I wrote an article on my website and wanted to share here (you can read in spanish)

EDIT: A complete guide to disassembly the Asus G50 can be found here: http://forum.techinferno.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/560-official-asus-g50-disassembly-guide.html#post6282

At this time we will see how clean and apply new thermal paste to an ASUS G Series (Republic of Gamers) more specifically the G50VT X1 model, however, this process may be the same that applies to all G50 and G60 series. This laptop began to raise their temps, mainly GPU.

Before making the process of cleaning the fan / heatsink and applying new thermal paste, the temperatures were in:

Normal use:

CPU: Between 30 ° and 40 °

GPU: Between 60 ° and 75 °

Doing a "stress test" with FurMark 1.9 (only 3 minutes)

CPU: Between 50 ° and 60 °

GPU: Between 90 ° and 97 ° reaching 106 °!!

Note: Furmark stress tests performed in order to know the answer to take your 3D graphics card generation and whether it will be able to run the most demanding programs and games.

As you can see, the temp of CPU (both cores) are not unusual, tem are quite acceptable, but the GPU is too FU***** high.

After performing the cleaning process and application of new thermal paste temps are:

Normal use:

CPU: Between 26 ° and 38 °

GPU: Between 41 ° and 58

Doing a "stress test" with FurMark 1.9 per 15 minutes

CPU: Between 40 ° and 47 ° max 57 °

GPU: Between 80 ° and 90 ° with a maximum of 92 °

Playing for a while Hydrophobia Prophecy the GPU max temp was 88°

I started with the cleaning and application of new thermal paste. What we need is a tube / syringe of thermal paste, I used Artic Silver 5, a Phillips screwdriver. Antistatic cleaning cloth, a pair of coffee filters (yes coffe filters!) A lot of patience! so lets started!

You must remove the top / main deck of the machine, so you'll see the following parts that you need to remove:

post-204-14494987990513_thumb.jpg

As you can see in the image, the red circles are the screws that you need to remove in order to release the heatsink and fan. Also be sure to remove "gently" fan connector marked with the blue circle.

post-204-14494987990703_thumb.jpg

After releasing the screws and the fan connector cable, "gently" pull up the CPU headsink, may be a little stuck but do it slowly and gently. Later will do the same with the fan cooler, the fan "box" is attached to the GPU headsink through a "duct tape" so you must be gentle to avoid any damage. Once released the Fan cooler you can put aside while you go to releasing the Headsink of the GPU. In my case, this Headsink was quite stuck, but after a few attempts you finally pull up

once you've removed the headsink you now should start cleaning...the fan box has 3 screws that need to remove to be able to clean easily. Likewise, you should clean the sink grids that are filled with a lot of dust, preventing a good flow of air. This process can be slow, because in order to clean the grates you need something small to get inside and clean the stuck dusting. In my case I used a set of Screwdrivers that can also serve for other tasks.

After cleaning the headsink you should proceed to clean the processor and GPU. Both have thermal paste residue that should be removed. You can find many online methods, but the one I used is quite practical. What you need is isopropyl alcohol, Widely used in cleaning of photographic lenses and electronic contacts, as it leaves no marks and is fast evaporating. It can be 99% pure or 70%. You can use 'Q tips "for this process, wet (very little) the Q tips on alcohol and rub it gently on the surface of the CPU / GPU to completely remove the thermal paste. Must be completely clean, you can use the "technique of the credit card" which as its name suggests you use an old piece of plastic card or similar to clean the remains of thermal paste. DO NOT use anything that could scratch the surface

Once you've completed this process, the CPU / GPU will be like in the picture below (Note that I used a cloth underneath the laptop to prevent scratching)

post-204-14494987990894_thumb.jpg

The next step will be to apply new thermal paste. In my case, as I said before I used Artic Silver 5 with very good results. For more information about this product you can see the official manual here.

There are different methods for applying the thermal paste, you can find videos on youtube like this

I applied the Artic Silver 5 method. Do not apply too much or little thermal. The recommendation is to cover the entire surface of the CPU / GPU evenly to avoid the so-called "air bubbles" Do NOT use your finger to apply the thermal paste, because the human skin contain grease and this will contaminate the electronics surface. For that we will use coffee filters in our finger, and gently apply it the thermal paste.

The purpose is: the thermal paste is a driver which sends the heat from the CPU / GPU to the heatsink and through the fan, this hot air is taken out of the laptop. If exist "air bubbles" well...no good thermal conductivity, so: high temps, that's my explanation, let's see the Wikipedia: The thermal paste, also called thermal silicone, or thermal grease is a substance that increases the conduction of heat between the surfaces of two or more objects that may be irregular and do direct contact. In electronics and computing, is often used to help heat dissipation of components through a heat sink.

A hair, piece of lint, and even dead skin cells can significantly affect the thermal interface's performance

An important point to note is that any thermal paste need a break-in period can be a couple of days or a week depending on computer use. By this, temps will decrease gradually, so if you dont see a big difference in degrees after apply new thermal paste take it easy, you must give some time to adjust.

Remember to monitor temps to confirm that you did a good job. To do this you can use programs such as HWMonitor

Here is my temps on HWMonitor

post-204-14494987991086_thumb.jpg

NOTE: I know, my english sucks...but I try :) ..take care and be safe!

Edited by Nando
  • Thumbs Up 3

• Founder

Thanks for sharing man! good job with the temps, what I do to apply the thermal paste is to have a drop at the size and shape of rise and let the pressure of the heatsink and the heat to take care of the rest, no spreading or anything, works best for me so far, after tests I found the proper amount too and I don't see any paste outside the die either.

Thanks for sharing man! good job with the temps, what I do to apply the thermal paste is to have a drop at the size and shape of rise and let the pressure of the heatsink and the heat to take care of the rest, no spreading or anything, works best for me so far, after tests I found the proper amount too and I don't see any paste outside the die either.

that kind of methods are also effective...i know that...applied the method of spreading because it is one of the recommendations of AS5 for Core 2 Duo processors

from what i've seen others posted is AS5 is not as good as other paste on the cpu but for gpu its on par with everyone else. i also recommend the line/dot method too, the spreading method works also but have a higher chance of getting air bubbles.

• Founder

I had an Asus G51 that had a similar layout and I put sinks on the GPU/CPU heatsinks. Also cut a hole in the bottom cover and put a mesh there so the fan could breath and it improved cooling quite a bit.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 months later...
Guest jasonh_

i have had this laptop for a few years. it's just poorly designed. there is no way to make this laptop run cool when running a game.

i have cleaned the laptop and re-applied thermal compound as well. no real difference except it's cooler when not running games.

if someone wants to cool this laptop and it's past their warranty, i suggest replacing the intake fan and perhaps making custom heatsinks.

the best thing to do with this laptop is to use power4gear hybrid utility that comes with it to crank down the maximum processor state.

or you can do like me and run it with the back off. that reduces temp significantly

• 4 months later...

I realize that this thread is old, but I have taken apart and re applied the thermal compound. Heat is a big issue just running and this seems to help, however any thoughts on why my fan/heat sink is so noisy now? I've checked the screws and everything is tight, but its a horrendous noise that really disturbs the rest of the users around. I can slap the computer near the heat sink and the sound stops for a moment, then its back.

Anyone with thoughts?

you need to replace the fan cause it's starting to fail

Agree...this machine is not noisy like you said...and like @StamatiX said you need to replace ONLY the fan

You need to check if the noise had it before or after you changed the thermal paste. Check that you have not left a misplaced piece

Good luck!

The stock fan in your laptop is most likely a Delta KDB05105HB “7F36”fan. You can replace it with a more powerful fan, which came by default on the Asus G51j and vx laptops. This is the model number of the upgraded fan; Forcecon DFS541305MH0T “F8U5". Google that and you can find it for cheap. The Delta is a 13 fin fan, the Forcecon is a 17 fin fan. Moves more air but fits right into your existing heatsink and plugs into the motherboard for power.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Signed up to view this topic as im trying to find out how to unplug my fan from my asus g60v and this was the closest i could find. Sadly it won't let me enlarge the pics to see what to do., :/ It keeps telling me to refresh and log in, but I'm fully logged in. *sigh*

Signed up to view this topic as im trying to find out how to unplug my fan from my asus g60v and this was the closest i could find. Sadly it won't let me enlarge the pics to see what to do., :/ It keeps telling me to refresh and log in, but I'm fully logged in. *sigh*

Here ya go. You can zoom in or download the pics here. picture saves for the web pictures by danwat1234 - Photobucket

It's just a 3-pin connector.

I am having similar issues... i thought it was just me...

okay i had a similar issue and I was on Google Chrome browser. I tried on another computer and in Chrome and the issue was gone. I tried Internet explorer assuming windows pc... and my issue went away... I have not gone back to chrome for viewing TI on my computer since though so i am not sure if a clean install will fix it am do for a windows clean install anyway.