Y580 GPU Throttling.

flyhotstuff

My y580 after an apparent bad paste job has temps that goes up to 93. it never goes past this, i believe it is because it starts throttling whenever it reaches those temps. because games play at a good fps 30+ on high at 1080p but shortly after i get low fps like 22.2 and that's when temps reach in the 90's. because of that i believe it is due to gpu throttling. anyhow. even when i try to OC at those temps it makes no difference in fps, which is strange in itself.

Does anyone know what temps the gtx 660m in the y580 throttles at?

i have already ordered a SSD and a 2nd HDD drive caddy and some Arctic silver. i also ordered Cool laboratory liquid metal pad.

anyone has any experience with the cool laboratory liquid metal pad? as well.

I am owner of the Y580, too. My temps never go over 86°C, at gaming i use the Enermax Aeolus Premium Laptop Coolpad @ fullspeed. The maximum operating temprature for the GTX660m is 98°C. So i think the throttling begins eairlier? Maybe at 90°C?

I dont know but the your temprature of 93 is to high. I use this laboratory liquid metal pad one time for my desktop cpu and it was very good, 5-7°C less temprature instead of heat transmission paste.

I don't think using this "liquid metal pad" is a good idea. It looks like it's designed for CPUs with heatshield, while mobile CPUs don't have it. Also, I've read it's a royal pain to remove it afterwards. Moreover I think modern high-quality thermal paste will perform better.

Yesterday after few hours of heavily modded Skyrim with ENBSeries (GPU load constant 99%) my max temps were 84°C on CPU, 79° on GPU. Y580 in signature with GPU overclocked to 1250/3000. I used a cooling pad, but as long as you have enough space under your laptop and your radiator is clean of dust it is not necessary to use it.

You should definitely repaste both GPU and CPU. Clean the fan and radiator while you're at it.

If you don't move around your laptop too much, get a cooling pad and use the laptop without the bottom cover. It does help quite a bit.