Y510p dvd ultrabay

elvisdk

I'd be curious as well. Mine came with the SLI option, but I'd much rather have the optical drive.

+1

Anyone? Anyone? I'd like to switch over to Optimus without having a huge hole in the side of my lalptop :-/

Always cheaper, but not the same. I popped in another drive that works fine, but without a matching faceplate it looks horrible. I would love just finding a faceplate to be honest. I really wish they included a blank for the bay like in the old days.

Have you tried removing the faceplate off the ultrabay GPU? When I swapped out my optical drive for a second HD, i could remove the optical drive's plate to use on the HD's bracket. Of course, you won't have the button to press, but you could manually eject from My Computer. :P

I spent a few hours with Lenovo support getting bumped back and worth to different departments, and it turns out that if you got the SLI model there isn't a way to purchase the DVD drive as a stand alone purchase. This is a little annoying as they advertise on the website that there are many accessories to purchase for the ultrabay, but there actually don't appear to be any.

If anyone does find any way to purchase ultrabay accessories please let me know!

I spent a few hours with Lenovo support getting bumped back and worth to different departments, and it turns out that if you got the SLI model there isn't a way to purchase the DVD drive as a stand alone purchase. This is a little annoying as they advertise on the website that there are many accessories to purchase for the ultrabay, but there actually don't appear to be any.

If anyone does find any way to purchase ultrabay accessories please let me know!

I would imagine you could just get the part number and have them send you the part? It sounds like you called... but I don't see what the big deal is on their end. They use the ultrabay dvd drives to assemble them so why can't they sell them on the side?

Conversely, I believe that you can get a standard dvd drive and put it in. I think?

Just ask someone to swap their DVD with your card. Sure you will get lots of offers. :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Hahaha! That's a great point for him!

For me... I likes me SLI! You'll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands and put a DVD drive in them.

I would imagine you could just get the part number and have them send you the part? It sounds like you called... but I don't see what the big deal is on their end. They use the ultrabay dvd drives to assemble them so why can't they sell them on the side?

Conversely, I believe that you can get a standard dvd drive and put it in. I think?

That's actually what I attempted to do while I was on the phone with them, and I got the part number that I needed, but no matter which department I called, no one would actually send out or sell the DVD drive. Not sure why or why not either. Just that it wasn't "in the system" so they can't sell or send them, only replace defective ones.

That's actually what I attempted to do while I was on the phone with them, and I got the part number that I needed, but no matter which department I called, no one would actually send out or sell the DVD drive. Not sure why or why not either. Just that it wasn't "in the system" so they can't sell or send them, only replace defective ones.

Do you have the part number?

See page 97 and 98 of the hardware maintenance manual, located here:

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_y410py510p_hmm.pdf

I haven't yet confirmed that these part numbers can actually be found anywhere on the internet, but it's a start!

Btw, I've had similar experience talking with Lenovo Sales, they just say that you can't buy a disc drive to add to your SLI system :(

The optical drive they sold I believe was the blu-ray option, which cost more. This is a good reason why they wouldn't just want to sell a cheaper model, and the only item they considered an upgrade from the SLI option. The SLI config was the second most expensive package, and the blu-ray config was a little more. I really just want a 2nd hd caddy for this thing, that way I could hot swap my SLI for extra storage when the 256GB SSD I have fills up (just because it's data doesn't mean I can't horde it!)

The optical drive they sold I believe was the blu-ray option, which cost more. This is a good reason why they wouldn't just want to sell a cheaper model, and the only item they considered an upgrade from the SLI option. The SLI config was the second most expensive package, and the blu-ray config was a little more. I really just want a 2nd hd caddy for this thing, that way I could hot swap my SLI for extra storage when the 256GB SSD I have fills up (just because it's data doesn't mean I can't horde it!)

If you're looking for an hdd/ssd caddy to swap with the SLI, you might like this one:

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p HDD Caddy

Also, I thought it was funny that this company was advocating that you remove the bezel from your SLI card and attach it to their product (see the video on that page, towards the end).