Clevo W230ST Odd Fan Noise

trias10

Currently, my Clevo W230ST occasionally drops into a fan state where the fan makes a very strange clicking noise, which in all honesty sounds just like the sound a 7200RPM hard drive makes when it is being subjected to tortuous consecutive read/write operations (like during a disk defragmentation). It sounds just like that. Anyone who heard it would probably think the sound was the hard drive in ordinary spin operations, however, I only have SSDs in my laptop, so that spin noise cannot be coming from a hard drive. The only thing with moving parts in the laptop is the fan, so it must be making that noise.

However, it only seems to make this sound in a particular state, which only seems to happen when the laptop is in the BIOS. In normal Windows 7 operation, it never makes this sound. In Windows, the fan is either off, running at low rpm, which makes the sound you would expect from a fan in low rpm, or running at max rpm, like during gaming. All those fan states sound okay, but it is this weird BIOS fan sound which has me puzzled.

It's not a huge deal, but I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed something similar on their W230ST?

Have you popped the cover off to inspect the fan? On my P150EM I think the fan cables have tags on them, that if they were folded over the right way they might get sucked in and make some noise. Then again, that could be the Dell I just had open that I'm thinking of.

i had this issue and it turned out to be a loose bolt in my laptop.

Cheers, I think this is my issue as well. The other day I fiddled with some bolts and the sound is less now, but not quite gone.

Do you by chance remember which bolt you tightened to fix the issue completely on your end? Was it on the fan assembly?

Hi trias10, I'm replying here to your comment on Prema website. You already know that my friends and me are experiencing the same issue with the W230ST too. While I find it logical to be a hardware issue related to loose bolts, I find it quite strange that, being it clearly notiiciable when the fan is barely spinning, it doesn't creak like hell when it's working at full speed. At full speed, I can't hear nothing unusual, when I think the issue consequences should be worse.

If you find out something new, please let us know.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...