making the y580 fan spin at 100%

flyhotstuff

well seeing as the user doesn't have the ability to override the fan settings through software on the y580, a hardware mod would do the trick. is it at all possible to swap out the fan for a faster or better fan? or just simply wire the stock fan to spin at 100% having a switch to bring it back to stock speeds?

You can override the fan speed and temperature thresholds with modified BIOS, i.e. there are 2 levels of fan speed and you can set the temperature when fan should kick in and with which speed.

What BIOS settings are these? Mind taking pictures?

Can't take screenshots in BIOS, so had to make a photo of the screen...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9405[/ATTACH]

Maybe it's different in Y500?

i've heard others state that they weren't able to override it in the modified bios settings. is that a y500 bios you got in the photo? i think those actually had a hardware button to change fan speeds as well. or was it the y510p?

The fan/temp control in the unlocked BIOS doesn't work for me on my y580. Tried setting the fan to 100% at low/high thresholds and nothing is affected. I have a system board that is flaking out and I think it is due to chronic overheating (began having problems at 1 year). Maybe I'll be able to manually hardwire the fan to run at full speed before replacing the system board. BTW my issue is that my y580 hard locks (have to hold the power button in to shut it down when it locks) during normal use and actually performs more reliably when playing a game. I believe this is because of an issue with the Intel Graphics chip caused by ongoing heat stress (hence the desire for increased fan speed).

• Thumbs Up 1

so basically from what i've read you can just cut the other wires leaving the positive and negative (red+black) and the fan will run at 100%. along with decreased battery life (will be gaming so not a factor). i intend to use this mod for gaming and OC'ing and a attach a switch to turn on regular fan behavior. i am going to order some arctic silver and a 2nd hdd dvd caddy to relocate the hdd to the dvd drive before i attempt this mod. just to help decrease the temps. i also want to remove the grill that helps reduce dust getting to the fan(to help increase airflow). hopefully with all of this if i could just see the temps stay at 80 and below it will all be worth it.

Note, that fan kicking in earlier, or running constantly at 100% will not help with overheating problem. It might overheat slower, but that's it. Also, GPU temperatures should not be allowed to drop rapidly, as rapid changes in temperature are the reason for cold solder to break.

Maybe you can even use the Lenovo energy management for maximize the fan speed, of course with the dust removal button. You can download it from here. By the way, why is it necessary to spin your fan at 100% ? When i had a Fujitsu U9200 laptop and was it often to warm and loud i simply blow out the dust with a compressor and that made it silence and less warm for a few month.

The fan/temp control in the unlocked BIOS doesn't work for me on my y580. Tried setting the fan to 100% at low/high thresholds and nothing is affected. I have a system board that is flaking out and I think it is due to chronic overheating (began having problems at 1 year). Maybe I'll be able to manually hardwire the fan to run at full speed before replacing the system board. BTW my issue is that my y580 hard locks (have to hold the power button in to shut it down when it locks) during normal use and actually performs more reliably when playing a game. I believe this is because of an issue with the Intel Graphics chip caused by ongoing heat stress (hence the desire for increased fan speed).

i believe your issue is may stem from a failing hard drive if you haven't changed to a SSD. those symptoms happened to me on several occasions... hard drive was bad. which is obviously caused by the gpu and cpu head that greatly diminishes the lifespan of the hdd.

i don't have an overheating problem but my temps go pass 90 too frequently for me after i changed the original thermal paste to some i used on my xbox 360. before it had never touched 90! so i'm going to get some arctic silver and mod the fan. i'd expect to use this laptop at least 2 years or so. maybe 3.