MS16-F2 GPU choices

ShadowOfScales

I'm about to receive an MSI MS16-F2, with a 570m, i7 2670QM, 6GB RAM, and a 7200 RPM 750gb HDD for ~$500USD, which I'd say is quite nice.

Now, with the unexpectedly low auction price, I'd like to know of possible GPU upgrades, and whether there would be people interested in buying the 570m, and for how much.

So what Nvidia GPUs work, or rather: don't work?

I'd probably end up getting a 670mx, or possibly a 680m, as I figured that all of the dead 6990ms and 7970ms must be there for a reason, and the 580m likely produces too much heat.

Would I need to take any particular steps, or would it work with the stock heatsinks and such?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm about to receive an MSI MS16-F2, with a 570m, i7 2670QM, 6GB RAM, and a 7200 RPM 750gb HDD for ~$500USD, which I'd say is quite nice.

Now, with the unexpectedly low auction price, I'd like to know of possible GPU upgrades, and whether there would be people interested in buying the 570m, and for how much.

So what Nvidia GPUs work, or rather: don't work?

I'd probably end up getting a 670mx, or possibly a 680m, as I figured that all of the dead 6990ms and 7970ms must be there for a reason, and the 580m likely produces too much heat.

Would I need to take any particular steps, or would it work with the stock heatsinks and such?

680/780 doesn't work.

7970 and I believe 670mx (maybe 675mx) will work. There's threads here with the info.

• 5 months later...
Not sure if 8970M (4Gb vRam) would post.

Neither Battlefiled 4 and CoD Ghosts reach 2Gb vRam from a 7970M maxed out at 1080p, so it may not worth it if you don't use higher resolutions

I agree, hd 7970m will enable you to play any game at high to ultra settings @ 1080p, although if you are going for higher resolutions you might need more vram.

• 2 weeks later...

I can say - I swapped from 570M to 770M. All working very good. (modded driver and no problems). Just make sure, to rearrange thermal pads, so no problem with temp will show up.

I just didn't want AMD... even if looking to be batter graphic (compare to 770M)

About those high or ultra - all depends, who like what kind of fps speed.

I prefer to have more fps and play on high instead of have less FPS in ultra graphic mode... (any kind of game)

I suggest to add SSD HDD, and install on it system... You will feel the power of speed :)

• 1 month later...

How hot does the GTX 770M get? I think the die is not fully covered with the stock heatsink.

Are you sure that a GTX 675MX works with this notebook? I have a Medion Erazer X6819 based on the MS-16F2.

Not sure if 8970M (4Gb vRam) would post.

Neither Battlefiled 4 and CoD Ghosts reach 2Gb vRam from a 7970M maxed out at 1080p, so it may not worth it if you don't use higher resolutions

Cod ghosts uses a lot more than 2gb for me on 1080p without even maxing it out. Its a very unoptimized port post-18115-14494997839195_thumb.jpg