Y480 SPDIF-out question

arc88

Hey Everyone. Sometimes I use my laptop's SPDIF because I'm an audiophile weirdo :adoration:. But enabling it is annoying. My previous laptop, a Toshiba, would automatically recognize when a mini-toslink adapter was inserted. On this unit I have to manually make digital out the default and switch it back when I'm done. Does anyone know a workaround?

Thanks

Haha I thought I'm the only one with this problem! There are two solutions I know of, but unfortunately neither is very good.

1. You can create a VBA script and assign a keyboard shortcut to execute it, but first you'd have to write one, have it written for you, or find one somewhere.

2. You can override the default sound output in most players, but then it would mean using different players in different situations (or have separate profiles and switch between them).

Your second option wouldn't work because although I can conscribe the output, the light inside won't activate until I set digital out to default. I wonder how The other machine made it work? I know it didn't set anything to default. It behaves like you were plugging in headphones; it merely routes all audio to another device.

I'm sure you can route sound to SPDIF without setting it as default. Not sure what you mean by the light "activating". In my Y580 the laser diode is always on (there's red light coming out of the port). It's handy, as it helps to plug headphones jack in the dark :D

What OS you have?

You have a Y480? And the digital light is always on? Curious. Let me also ask you: does the USB port by the headphone jack function as USB 2 or 3?

I am running Windows 8.1. It's had this quirk since I got it.

• 2 weeks later...

I figured out why your SPDIF light is always on, @sergioosh: You don't have the Realtek drivers installed. I was messing around and uninstalled them myself and with Windows running the show, SPDIF light is always on. However, Windows still doesn't route audio to the digital out unless I set it as default. Can you test that for me?

Unfortunately since Windows Vista you cannot route one audio source to more than one device at one time. Technically you can, but you have to either use separate sources, or use a virtual audio adapter, that will split audio and direct it to different outputs. The former should be easy to do, but for the latter you'd need something like this: Virtual Audio Cable Home Page . I'm not sure it works with encoded sound like DTS and the rest.

So, long story short: you do have to either set it as default or point to S/PDIF output in the given app/player/game.