Asus G750JW Bios Mod

Arise

Hi there.

I have an Asus G750 JW and I see the BIOS options are kinda limited.

Not looking exactly into overclocking my video card, I'm more into Thunderbolt options enabling to play with my eGPU configuration, but don't mind maybe some extra stuff like CPU overcloking or memory timings.

So, I downloaded latest ASUS G750JW Bios ver 208 (from their website) and opened it in AMIBCP 4.53.

Then tried to make small changes to some values, like I've seen an option : Speaker Volume with an optimal value 4. I change it to 5 and save under a new name.

Binary comparing the files shows 1 or 2 bits to be changed and also some big changes (I was expecting only 1 or 2 bits to be changed) in some part of the file which makes me wonder if I should attempt to flash the result.

Also, tried to just save the file without any modifications applied and it still not producing an exact match of the original file, got a different block in some part of the ROM file.

So, can anyone provide some help on this matter?

What steps should I do in order to mod my BIOS?

Lastly, I've read on the asus forums that some sort of recovery would be possible if keeping the CTRL+Home button pressed I turn on my laptop while a USB stick with a bios filename is connected.

While Ctrl+Home is doing indeed something (like 4-5 seconds of thinking on a black screen) can't trigger the recovery procedure despite trying several filenames like G750JWAS.208, G750JWAS.ROM, G750JW.ROM, G750JW.BIN or AMIBOOT.ROM. Any ideea on this matter?

Just managed to trigger the Asus Easy Flash process, it seems that the USB drive must not be NTFS.

I used a SD Card of 16MB (a very old SD card bought with a canon camera like 6 years ago) inside a USB Card Reader that I had formated as FAT and placed a single file called G750JW.BIN on it then started my PC while holding the Ctrl+Home button pressed and it worked.

So, in conclusion to force a BIOS reflash on the Asus G750 JW, using the Asus Easy Flash, you need:

- a USB drive formated as FAT or FAT32 (but not NTFS!!!)

- bios file saved as G750JW.BIN.

-powering the laptop while holding Ctrl+Home should do the rest.

Warning! BIOS overwrite will start without any further confirmation asked, if it starts don't think to interrupt it! Let it finish.

Also, after BIOS update and powering on the laptop, it could take a while (up to 20-30 seconds) until it will show something on the screen. Not sure why, and not sure what it is doing, but let it have its time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, I was able to have some success running a GTX 680 on thunderbolt while keeping the dGPU disabled in Windows. Reenabling the dGPU leads to a black laptop screen (only eGPU attached display works so far) but is possible to use dGPU for PhysX.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is awesome info and progress.. good luck in your journey and i'll be following and very interested in the end results. Can you share any info on your eGPU setup? Is it limited to certain cards.. Would it be possible to be able to run more powerful cards as well? I have a G750JH with 780m but when this starts to lag for me in newer games, i'd consider something like this.

• 3 weeks later...

You will not get much benefit as 780m is quiet a strong video card. Not much point in running an external video card attached to an external display when you have similar performance from 780m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Just curious, what are the odds of you giving out this custom Bios file, so that we can utilize your methods for forced flash? I'd love to try this kinda thing on my G750JW, it has a lot more over clocking headroom on the GPU.

Thanks!

Would be no problem for me to share the info, but if you change something it might not boot (it happened on me a couple of time) and I don't know how to recover without a spi programmer.

If anyone knows how to reset the bios would be great.

http://forum.techinferno.com/showthread.php?t=7035

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Hello

I tried doing this with my G750JH. Downloaded bios 206 (latest), modified with AMIBCP 4.53, and tried to flash it. Nothing seems to work. Winflash claims that the bios is both too old and the file is invalid. Easy flash accessed from BIOS claims the file is too old, FTK cant get write acces to BIOS, and when I try the crisis flash option you descibe the USB-drive flashes whilst everything else remains dark, but after about 20 seconds the laptop boots normally.

I've tried naming the updated bios file amiboot.rom, amiboot.bin, G750.bin, G750JH.bin G750JHA.206 (original name) - nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

Hi there.

I have an Asus G750 JW and I see the BIOS options are kinda limited.

Not looking exactly into overclocking my video card, I'm more into Thunderbolt options enabling to play with my eGPU configuration, but don't mind maybe some extra stuff like CPU overcloking or memory timings.

So, I downloaded latest ASUS G750JW Bios ver 208 (from their website) and opened it in AMIBCP 4.53.

Then tried to make small changes to some values, like I've seen an option : Speaker Volume with an optimal value 4. I change it to 5 and save under a new name.

Binary comparing the files shows 1 or 2 bits to be changed and also some big changes (I was expecting only 1 or 2 bits to be changed) in some part of the file which makes me wonder if I should attempt to flash the result.

Also, tried to just save the file without any modifications applied and it still not producing an exact match of the original file, got a different block in some part of the ROM file.

So, can anyone provide some help on this matter?

What steps should I do in order to mod my BIOS?

Lastly, I've read on the asus forums that some sort of recovery would be possible if keeping the CTRL+Home button pressed I turn on my laptop while a USB stick with a bios filename is connected.

While Ctrl+Home is doing indeed something (like 4-5 seconds of thinking on a black screen) can't trigger the recovery procedure despite trying several filenames like G750JWAS.208, G750JWAS.ROM, G750JW.ROM, G750JW.BIN or AMIBOOT.ROM. Any ideea on this matter?

• 4 months later...

djustiz: you gotta navigate to where WinFlash is installed, hold Shift and right click anywhere in the folder, then choose Open Command Window Here

Then type in: winflash /nodate It'll still give you an error in the program, but you are able to press Flash and reboot to have it reprogram the BIOS.

This will allow you to re-flash an older BIOS. I literally just did this today about 2 hours ago on my friends laptop.

Arise: Is this how you bypassed error 208 when using FPT?

• 2 months later...
  • Bios Modder
Hi guys! I've tried to modify my G750JW bios, but i couldn't. I got the same problem of , someone else could do that?

Why you do it? For what reason?

Why you do it? For what reason?

Hi Klem, cuz i'm getting some problem with fans, when i'm playing or doing a video benchmark, the GPU fan starts throttle and after that i stop playing or benchmark the cooler doesn't slow down. Even if the temperature comes cooler, like 35 degress. So i wanna try modify some fans values.

Thanks.

• Bios Modder
Hi Klem, cuz i'm getting some problem with fans, when i'm playing or doing a video benchmark, the GPU fan starts throttle and after that i stop playing or benchmark the cooler doesn't slow down. Even if the temperature comes cooler, like 35 degress. So i wanna try modify some fans values.

Thanks.

Hi!

All fan settings in the bios does not matter for real fan control. Real fan settings was placed in the EC Firmware (no in bios).

If you want try to change fan settings, you can try to use the program Notebook Fan Control.

Also read info in this link: http://forum.techinferno.com/msi/5711-guide-how-control-fan-g-series-laptops.html

Hi!

All fan settings in the bios does not matter for real fan control. Real fan settings was placed in the EC Firmware (no in bios).

If you want try to change fan settings, you can try to use the program Notebook Fan Control.

Also read info in this link: http://forum.techinferno.com/msi/5711-guide-how-control-fan-g-series-laptops.html

Thanks for the Guide, but I've tried it, but my fans just started spin up very fast and didn't slow down until I turned off my computer.

I'm using Notebbook Fan Control and I can control my fans, but when the fans starts spin up very fast I can't control anymore. In the Notebook Fan Control looks like the speed fans are both in default speed (20%), but the fans are really throttling.

I don't know what kind of problem it is.

• Bios Modder
Some can unlock the bios for me?

Here is the link of the newest bios: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/G750JW/G750JWAS208.zip?_ga=1.7655474.1876296444.1430512096

Thanks.

For unlock your bios, you need for first step flash new bios from ASUS website, then create backup of your bios, and then ask unlock this backup file.

For unlock your bios, you need for first step flash new bios from ASUS website, then create backup of your bios, and then ask unlock this backup file.

Humm I see! I already have the newest bios. But I couldn't make a backup of my bios. I've tried amibios and FKT utilities, but I couldn't do it, do you know how can I do it?

Thanks.

• Bios Modder
Humm I see! I already have the newest bios. But I couldn't make a backup of my bios. I've tried amibios and FKT utilities, but I couldn't do it, do you know how can I do it?

Thanks.

Just use FPT (FTK) version 9.5

• 2 months later...
  • Bios Modder
Hi, It's possible to apply the same mod for the ASUS G750JZ?

I want to make the same modification (use the GTX 880M for the monitor instead the HD 4600)...

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

What exactly you want unlock? And for what purpose?