Y510p Trackpad

kiteboy

• 2 weeks later...

I followed this to make mine usable. Solutions for the y510p trackpad : Lenovo

I HATE non-button trackpads, but the value of this machine was too much to pass on.

After more use it is still better... but the second button only seems to register randomly. Sometimes I click and click and click and it only does a left click. So horrible.

I've never had any issues myself with the trackpad (compared to the MSI GE60 that I tried before swapping it for the Y510p) but I am wondering if you know which OEM drivers I should be grabbing that are different from the Lenovo ones? The only issues I've had is sometimes the 2 finger scrolling doesn't pick up, but for the most part it's fine.

I've never had any issues myself with the trackpad (compared to the MSI GE60 that I tried before swapping it for the Y510p) but I am wondering if you know which OEM drivers I should be grabbing that are different from the Lenovo ones? The only issues I've had is sometimes the 2 finger scrolling doesn't pick up, but for the most part it's fine.

If you're having problems using the two-finger scolling (the kind where you slide two fingers across the touchpad in the direction of the page scroll), you could also try configuring the two finger click option (where you click on the center of the touchpad with two fingers) to register as a page down. I've tried, it's not my preference, but it is a viable alternative.

When I use the OEM drivers directly from Synaptics, I cannot find the setting to disable Palmcheck. This is a problem for me now because I need to use keyboard and touchpad at the same time while gaming. Any ideas how to disable Palmcheck and Smartsense at the same time. (Smartsense is the feature that's not available in Lenovo version of the driver, and is essential unless you can tolerate the "wobble" every time you click the trackpad button)

I am planning to buy a carbon fiber skin for the laptop. Does the trackpad improve when it is textured?

Honestly the fact that its not glass is makes it insanely annoying. There is too much friction and it can be bothersome. If only I can rip this one out and put in place one from a macbook.

What's stopping you? :) Depending on the size and interface it might be more or less challenging. Fortunately, basically all touchpads are connected to USB, so it's mostly a problem of finding the right size replacement. If it wasn't for the fact that sometimes you have to use it (forgot the mouse, battery died, etc.) I'd disconnect it from the mainboard permanently.

When I use the OEM drivers directly from Synaptics, I cannot find the setting to disable Palmcheck. This is a problem for me now because I need to use keyboard and touchpad at the same time while gaming. Any ideas how to disable Palmcheck and Smartsense at the same time. (Smartsense is the feature that's not available in Lenovo version of the driver, and is essential unless you can tolerate the "wobble" every time you click the trackpad button)

I found the answer here: windows 8 - Use touchpad while "typing"? - Super User

You can achieve almost the same effect of turning off Palmcheck if you turn off Smartsense. The difference is that if you turn off Smartsense, you can't control the click and mouse areas.

Hi all

I know the trackpad is a bit iffy on the y510

But are there better drivers available that make it any better at all??

Or is it just a case of getting used to it

Thanks

I bought my y510p from newegg and it came with the elan touchpad. i quite like it. it that not bad how people are describing it. i think you just have to get used to the clicks, because when you press on the corners it doesn't activated and just have to press in the center of the left and right click.