Y510P SLI 750M unable to game in battery mode GPU=135Mhz

Guyver

Hai,

I'm aware the y510p has a weak battery, I'm not expecting full performance but I'm still in disbelieve that it would limit the GPU clock way down to 135MHz in battery mode.

(when I plug in the power supply, the core clock jumps from 135 MHz to 1058, and the memory clock jumps from 405 to 2499 MHz)

I also tested with just 1 GPU and getting same results.

Also tried:

- adjusted the Lenovo Power Management Software (Ver. 8.0.2.4) Select Performance mode. (mentioned in a few other forums)- adjusted Maximum Processor State to 99% (In battery mode, turbo boost will not be activated so stays at 2.4ghz)

Any of other Y510p owners getting same issues? is there any workaround? or just the fact you can't do any gaming in battery mode?

As I understand with the SLI model of the Y510p you would need to disable the Ultrabay card in order to allow switching to the internal HD4000 while on battery rather than the internal 750m.

That would likely be easiest by completely removing the SLI card and then checking the nVidia control panel (I believe?) to switch.

Well, I can understand the frustration, but my experience with any gaming laptop has been somewhat similar. Without the underclock, the laptop zaps its battery fast as hell. It was the same with my G73SW, and my custom laptop before that.

I actually got my Y510P to replace an i5 Yoga, which had pretty good battery life as an ultrabook. Part of me wants to go back to the Yoga, but while it was easy to take to meetings, it was annoying as hell to type with, and I wouldn't really use it for anything else. At least with this the keyboard is good, and I can use it as a spare rig for LAN's (or primary if I am not hosting and do not want to bring my main or backup rig).

But really, with any gaming laptop, you should always carry your brick with you, else you will run out of battery mid way through the game anyways.