Average temperature of an i7 4800MQ, I think mine is overheat...

ViTosS

Hey guys, I want to know the average temperature of your processor while gaming, from whose that have the i7 4800MQ, I'm using the maximum performance mode in the Windows 7 and my core temps average is 40~45ºC in idle, but when I'm gaming, games very light weight like Black Ops 2 and my processor go to the 80~80ºC average in minutes, in Battlefield 3 it reached the 90'sºC, is that normal? My laptop is Sager NP 9380-S, bought directly from Sager.

Thanks

It really depends, is it sitting on your lap, or on a cooler with max airflow.

I know mine gets hot but I never have a temp running to look at it. Most of the things I play are GPU intensive.

When I get my computer back, Ill play some BF3 on Ultra and keep an eye on my temps.

I have a 4800MQ in a w230st. I'm averaging 50c idle and 99c while running anything intensive. I have been trying to play StarCraft 2 and on some maps the game is completely unplayable. I have undervolted and its not making much of any difference. When the PC is saying the temps are 99c the fans are going at full blast but the air coming out feels cool. I'm thinking I may have a defective CPU. I reapplied thermal paste and it is done correctly.

I have a 4800MQ in a w230st. I'm averaging 50c idle and 99c while running anything intensive. I have been trying to play StarCraft 2 and on some maps the game is completely unplayable. I have undervolted and its not making much of any difference. When the PC is saying the temps are 99c the fans are going at full blast but the air coming out feels cool. I'm thinking I may have a defective CPU. I reapplied thermal paste and it is done correctly.

SC2 doesn't use all 4 cores, so you could use my BIOS Mod and just disable 2 cores for gaming. You could even overclock the other two at the same time and end up with better performance than now while still having lower temps. ;)

@ ViTosS you will be able to do the same thing once the Mod for your system is ready (no ETA). ;)

If the cpu is 99C and the air coming out is room temp, then it sounds like the heat is not being transfered to the heatsink. Are you sure the thermal paste has a nice even, and thin coating? It should be very thin but completly cover the die, without anything between. If that is right, then maybe a heatpipe is dead or broken. I would heat it up upgain, let it hold temp for a while, then quickly open the unit and see if the heat sink is hot, and which parts of it are hot. Be carefull you don't burn yourself.

If the cpu is 99C and the air coming out is room temp, then it sounds like the heat is not being transfered to the heatsink. Are you sure the thermal paste has a nice even, and thin coating? It should be very thin but completly cover the die, without anything between. If that is right, then maybe a heatpipe is dead or broken. I would heat it up upgain, let it hold temp for a while, then quickly open the unit and see if the heat sink is hot, and which parts of it are hot. Be carefull you don't burn yourself.

After I had reapplied the paste last night it was running at 99c in SC2 but once I gave up on playing I changed my undervolting from -80mW to -100mW. I left it running the XTU stress test overnight and while I was at work today. The temps have been averaging between 65-70c at 100% CPU load. The entire time I can feel warm air blowing out the side and even as I type this now I can feel it blowing as a constant warm/hot temp like it should. However, if I load up SC2 at random times the fans go into overdrive, the air comes out cool and the cpu throttles until I get about 1-5fps. It starts randomly but once it does it continues until I close the game out. I'm thinking its an issue with SC2 and Windows 8.1.

While running Battlefield 3 the CPU never goes above 72c and its running like it should.

After I had reapplied the paste last night it was running at 99c in SC2 but once I gave up on playing I changed my undervolting from -80mW to -100mW. I left it running the XTU stress test overnight and while I was at work today. The temps have been averaging between 65-70c at 100% CPU load. The entire time I can feel warm air blowing out the side and even as I type this now I can feel it blowing as a constant warm/hot temp like it should. However, if I load up SC2 at random times the fans go into overdrive, the air comes out cool and the cpu throttles until I get about 1-5fps. It starts randomly but once it does it continues until I close the game out. I'm thinking its an issue with SC2 and Windows 8.1.

While running Battlefield 3 the CPU never goes above 72c and its running like it should.

How about running Throttlestop and disabling turboboost and adjusting multiplier to make the CPU run at speeds between stock and Max turbo. That is what i have to do in most games. This alone changes temps from 97 degrees to 88-90 degrees max on my 2820QM in the laptop in my sig. The W520 has very poor cooling whilst the GPU is running.

What I would like to know is whether I should stick to what I am doing (its a one click solution really) or try undervolting like you did.

Sorry if I am hijacking the thread but I felt this was better than starting a newer one as there are already people posting here.

There was one confirmed person with a NP8255 that had a bad heat sink. He ordered a new one, for about $35 as I recall, and it fixed his over heating issues. I should mention it was on a 780M, not the cpu.

The fact the cpu is super hot and the air coming out can be cold, seems to point to an issue some place in the heat sink or paste. And you already repasted.

My only other thought is the temp reading is wrong.

Is it hard to open the notebook, and reapply thermal paste? I have Arctic Silver 5 and Arctic MX-4, how is the fixation on the heatsink for the CPU and where is it located?

If you have the np9380s then it comes stock with Diamond IC which in my opinion is a better alternative than the Arctic products. Right now your temps don't seem terrible. Have you tried undervolting to bring down the heat a little? It did lower the temps on my w230st.

Those are normal temps for laptops... You cant compare laptops with desktops. I have a Clevo P170sm, the 780m easily goes up to 80-90c, i have set 90 as max temp for gpu. My 4700mq idles at 35-37 and tops at 80-85c, im using a zalman laptop cooler. So as long as the temps dont go over 100c youre fine. Buy a descent cooler, they do help, another thing besides changing paste, is to make the holes under the laptop where the fans draw in the air, make them bigger so more air gets in? I was thinking about doing that my self, my intakes are both on the part you can take loose, so just take some kind of tool and scratch, or some kind of sandpaper? Or even remove them, but thats not the greatest idea as it propably breaks warrant (im not sure), but also dust, and other crap will have a big hole to find in through. So its a risky move, but with I think huge benefits?

But, i was also wondering if its hard to change the past on laptops, i havent done that before, i have only used desktops before this laptop so im a noob when it comes to mobile systems... ;) Any advice is appreciated.

But to OP, im very sensitive to high temps as well, my PCH idles at 65-75 and sometiimes at 90c at load or more. But according to the support guy at where i bought the computer, he says its normal and all these parts have a 100-105c max usage temps...I dont like it either, but at the same time, why buy this expensive laptop, if im afraid to use it for gaming at 100%?? I understand that one is afraid it will burn, but thats what you have warranty for. And most have atleast here in sweden, 2 year factory warranty?

So my advice is, stop using msi afterburner or whatever temp soft you are using, i have, and its much more fun to use it now, i just ignore it. I wont downclock my hardware for lower temps, other than changing the turbo ratio, and the lowering the max non turbo clock from 2.4ghz to 2.0ghz. But turbo clocks are the same...

EDIT: Im going to test to remove the "hatch" under the laptop which has the cpu/msata/gpu/ram slots, and see if my temps improve without it on, if i do, I will report back with my findings. And if the temps are much lower, I will either cut "fan filters" off, remove them all, or just make the air holes larger somehow? Ill be back! ;)

Removing the filters completely is probably a bad idea. Besides the obvious point of more dust getting in, I've heard that some restriction of airflow is slightly better, as it allows the fans to draw the hot air out more efficiently. If theres too much free airflow, the fresh air flowing in will be drawn out more rapidly as opposed to the hot air already inside.

• 2 weeks later...

With a 99C temp, I'd be suspect of incorrect thermal application on the CPU, bad contact from the heat sink, or you live in a very warm area with little to no air flow. If you aren't afraid, I'd take the laptop apart and clean/re-apply the thermal paste with a known good brand such as arctic silver.

• 3 weeks later...
Removing the filters completely is probably a bad idea. Besides the obvious point of more dust getting in, I've heard that some restriction of airflow is slightly better, as it allows the fans to draw the hot air out more efficiently. If theres too much free airflow, the fresh air flowing in will be drawn out more rapidly as opposed to the hot air already inside.

Huh? I think that isn't quite right. Unrestricted airflow is better. The fans are mostly for the cpu and the gpu. Those have heat sinks on them that are connected to cooling fins. You want as much air to hit those fins as possible. The heat is then transfered to the air, which is being blown out. Hope that makes sense.

But be careful enlarging the grill. First it probably violates your warranty. Second if the holes are too big, then things can get in. Like paper clips, food, fingers, etc. These might damage the fans. I wouldn't recomend doing it.

Instead clean dust out so air is flowing good. If temps are still higher then when new, then maybe repaste. Not all models are easy to get to the cpu and gpu to repaste. But if you have access, then it is fairly easy.

[...]Second if the holes are too big, then things can get in. Like [...]fingers, etc. These might damage the fans.

Poor fans getting damaged by evil fingers :D. Made ma laugh hehe.

Do as someone here posted: if you're buying such device, let the warranty do the rest. After all, it's their job to spread the heatsink properly on the DIE's.

Isn't it possible for you to return the device, saying that the heating isn't working?

Else lie a little bit, and say that the device is randomly shuting down or freezing when you're gaming and it's getting hot.

"here - please fix it"

You lucky "bastards" (not offensive) can at least open the device without losing warranty. unlike me. Looks like i have to wait 2 years until i may upgrade my ssds :(