Latest News
  • Apologies for the downtime. We had to update our backend and theme.
  • We will continue pushing updates.
  • Apologies for the downtime. We had to update our backend and theme.
  • We will continue pushing updates.
darwen

Help , my desktop appears SecureBoot problem

darwen    10

win8.1

m17R4 , UEFI

680M

my Desktop, appears Secureboot, why ?

How to solve this problem?

post-18788-14494996285665_thumb.jpg

svl7    5424

That's because Micro$oft wants to force the users to activate secure boot. There are two ways of getting rid of this I think... enabling secure boot or making a legacy installation instead of an UEFI installation.

J95    955

Yeah I just showed how to remove the watermark, I don't recommend secure boot and if you want to OC using the unlocked vBIOS it should be disabled anyway, try to enable legacy mode without reinstalling windows.

cmd (admin)type bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy >the operation concluded successfully>reboot>F2 BIOS / Boot options disable secure boot and enable legacy boot>F10 save&exit>Hit F8 safe mode option like win7>Safe mode Hold down SHIFT key while clicking restart>Advanced Startup Options>select Command Prompt>cmd type bootrec /fixboot >the operation concluded successfully>exit>reboot>once in windows cmd (admin) bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard>reboot, this should work.

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

bootrec /fixboot

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By rjtnag
      M17xR4 upgrade 680m to 1060

I kindly apologise for my atrocious formatting, I have never written such a long thread before.

Hey everyone, this is my experience regarding upgrading my m17xR4(2012) with a 680m and a 3D 120hz display to a GTX 1060. Please bear with me as it will be a long story.

A little bit of background, on May 11, 2017, my laptop suddenly shut itself down when playing some Witcher 3. No response, no power, no lights, certainly dead.
      http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...t-motherboard-replaced-but-still-dead.805508/
      Called Dell India, they recommended motherboard replacement (not quite as much as a recommendation but as an only option.) 15000INR for that. (~235USD)
      Still not resolved, no light, no post, no power. But if I remove the 680m, the laptop boots but gives 8 beeps, indicating a GPU or LCD failure. Putting the gpu back in causes a short circuit and no power to system.
      Dell technician recommended GPU and LCD replacement. Will cost about 15000INR(235USSD) for GPU and 8000INR(125USD) for the LCD.

Sure, why not.

New GPU time. And boy oh boy, I was in for a headache.
      Initial plan was for GTX 980m, easy and simple upgrade, tried and tested.
      I contacted @woodzstack, he suggested me the 1060, approx. 30% more performance for the same price. I went ahead with that.
      He is a well-known and an excellent seller here on NBR and other forums.

So I got myself a 1060 with a heatsink. The heatsink on my 680m had worn out screws and I couldn’t remove it to reuse it (tried a Dremel to make grooves). The 1060 was available and ready to ship, the heatsink was on back order which caused some delay. Thankfully, woodzstack provided me with a free upgrade to faster shipping. Thanks!

Then came the headaches. As I didn’t have a backup or fall back gpu (680m died), I wasn’t able to change the settings in bios required for 1060 and the system won’t boot with a 1060 ass the settings were incorrect. Also, I had the motherboard replaced which had stock bios. Got 8 beeps with 1060 installed, indicating gpu or LCD failure, which it wasn’t. Also, being a 120hz 3d display, I couldn’t use the intel gpu, as it won’t be able to run the display.

Stuck in catch22 situation there. I contemplated returning the gpu as I hadn’t gotten it to work, and it had gotten quite expensive(motherboard+gpu+heatsink). I posted on various forums for 2nd hand 680Ms or even lower gpu. Woodzstack offered a 680M but shipping was quite expensive.

Then @maxslo came to my rescue, he offered a used Quadro K1000M. Just pay for shipping and its mine. Notebookcheck states that its equivalent to a GT 630M, so it was from my series of gpu. I didn’t know if it would work or not, I took a gamble, if it didn’t work I would return all the stuff and get a new laptop (or a desktop maybe?)

It took its own sweet time to come as it was via national post (can’t complain, got the card only for shipping cost)

And when it came, I installed it, hit the power. I TURNED ON. It was alive!
      I quickly got into bios, changed the settings and installed the 1060.
      But alas, it didn’t start. 8 beeps again. Woodzstack helped here again.

The issue was default display setting in bios and the uefi settings. Uefi needs a compatible gpu to save that setting and boot with that gpu. As k1000m wasn’t a uefi compliant gpu, I was stuck again. But changing the graphics settings to auto and then it let me disable the legacy settings.

After applying these settings and installing the 1060, it let me boot.
      Somewhat.
      No bootable media detected. Press any key to restart.
      Turns out that the gtx 1060 is fussy even about bot drive partitions. Had to reinstall windows on a GPT partition. MBR to GPT conversion did not work. Needed a fresh install.

Finally, after 3 months of patience, I could revive my laptop.

II would like to thank these threads and their authors
      https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/10982-m17x-r4-gtx-1060-upgrade/
      https://www.techinferno.com/index.p...x-r4-another-socket-victory-against-bga-crap/

Note: for 680m, the benchmark was done on max overclock +300 core and +500 memory. Stock score would be nearer to 3DM11 P=6300-6500, Ex=2200-2400

Unfortunately, I don’t have 3dmark scores for 680m

Note: This is same as my thread on NBR. Posting here as well for people not on NBR.
      http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/m17xr4-upgrade-680m-to-1060.808327

Some benchmarks

• By arschgesicht
      Hello,

I have bought a Clevo 680M with 29 vBios, but my W870CU refuses to detect it, in Bios it says: VGA Card: Unkown. It boots, but shuts down after ~1:30 mins, and after 1 minute blinking touchlights.
      Is there a way to get it working?

Clevo 680m - 80.04.29.00.01 'OCedition' revised_01.zip
      Bios.rar
    • By ponx
      Please help...

I am trying to give my trusty M17xR4 a new lease of life and have flashed the unlocked vBIOS from svl7 (thanks, btw!) 80.04.33.00.32__'OCedition'_revised_00.

Trouble is, I can only overclock by about +160MHz before the video drivers crash while running 3DMarkFS, and I lose video completely in FarCry4 - I can't get anywhere near the +405MHz NVidia Inspector now offers..!! (The temps are fine, so that is not the problem: getting 62-65C under load)

Forgive me, but I'm no expert with regards to overclocking... To get stability with higher frequencies do I need to increase voltage..?  Strangely, the voltage tweaking options are greyed out for me in Nvidia Inspector. Or do I need to try one of those over-volted vBIOS images instead..?

Thanks.

• By liezryou
      I have been playing overwatch like crazy the past 2 weeks on my m17x r4 with 680M. Unfortunately since yesterday i am getting BSODs anytime i try to even access the dedicated 680M GPU. Starting any game or even starting the nvidia control panel and going to the 3D settings which renders the nvidia logo will cause a BSOD. I can't even downlock the GPU, everytime i try in nvidia inspector, it BSODs.

I have tried reinstalling the driver, upgrading the driver, downgrading the driver, starting in A/C power both with and without battery, starting in battery only, shutting it down and leaving it for about 12 hours and nothing seems to fix this.

Here is the imgur album of my BSODs (getting different numbers each time): http://imgur.com/a/wwRZp .

If this is indeed graphics card failure, is there anyway i can get this repaired? I know i'm out of warranty, but does dell do repairs for payment? Unfortunately I'm a student at the near end of my studies and i'm flat broke so buying a new card is out of my budget [Around 200$].

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer me!
    • By RickIsCool
      I'm aware that this problem has come up before and is likely solved, but I am new to the forums so i need to post to have full access to these resources, so i figured i may as well start a new thread.

Related posts:
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/222124374139?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT - Item I purchased
      https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/6308-msi-gt70-no-post-black-screen-after-video-card-upgrade-from-675m-to-680m/  - People already discussing this very same issue
      https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/1425-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks/  - all available Keplar VBIOS

I'd still like to start fresh though.
      The computer I plan on putting this into is a MS-1762
      Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
      i7-3630QM Quad-Core 2.4ghz
      8GB DDR3 @ 1600mhz
      Chipset: HM77 / Intel Ivy Bridge

My goal in this thread is to be prepared for when the card arrives. I have never flashed a VBIOS before so I will take all the help and advise I can get.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.