[FIX] Clevo P370SM3 & SAGER NP9380-S 120Hz/3D SLI Flickering/Scanlines

BudMarLeY

Hey guys, I just picked up a 9830 with SLI 780M's. I'm running driver version 331.65 and get the flickering/scanline issues you're all talking about. The custom bios listed in the first post looks like it's working well for all of you! Is this solution going to continue working with new driver versions?

• Thumbs Up 1

I can reproduce the problem now if I don't use my Coolermaster LapAir cooling pad and have SLI Enabled/Stereoscopic 3D disable/120hz refresh - Once my GPU's reach a certain temperature I can also get the Black screen or the screen tearing. If I run SLI Enabled/Stereoscopic 3D enabled/120hz refresh then I don't get the issue.

It looks like this is a VBIOS GPU issue after all.

I can reproduce the problem now if I don't use my Coolermaster LapAir cooling pad and have SLI Enabled/Stereoscopic 3D disable/120hz refresh - Once my GPU's reach a certain temperature I can also get the Black screen or the screen tearing. If I run SLI Enabled/Stereoscopic 3D enabled/120hz refresh then I don't get the issue.

Are you using the custom bios and still having problems?

i havnt experienced any issues witht he new vbios. working greatly.

Alright, I'm going to try flashing this thing and see if it fixes my flickering issues.

I flashed the vbios to both cards. When I go into the NVIDIA control panel now, I don't see an option to enable 120 hz under Display > change resolution > refresh rate. The only option in the drop down menu is 60 hz. Is that the same for you guys?

If you back your VBIOS settings out, does the 120hz option come back? What was your BIOS version before the flash? Mine is 80.04.BD.00.05 (P2053-0001)

It should return by re-installing the driver.

Do you have regular model with 120Hz screen or 3D model?

What are your main BIOS & EC versions?

I wanted to chime in to say that I just received my NP9380-S with SLI and yesterday (11/12/13) and it seems that Sager is still distributing the laptop with a faulty vBios as I have the problems. I sent a support ticket into Xotic PC (purchased from) this morning to see if they have any further news or updates on it. Now I just need to hit the 5 posts so I can download the vbios from this post! I'll let you guys know what they say.

I wanted to chime in to say that I just received my NP9380-S with SLI and yesterday (11/12/13) and it seems that Sager is still distributing the laptop with a faulty vBios as I have the problems. I sent a support ticket into Xotic PC (purchased from) this morning to see if they have any further news or updates on it. Now I just need to hit the 5 posts so I can download the vbios from this post! I'll let you guys know what they say.

theyre not going to fix it, its going to have to be up to us to do the fix. Its too much work for them and im sure they dont want to accept responsibilty for the error.

im just glad that we figured out that svl7's vbios fixes the issue. but be warned, when you have these vbios which are overclocked. your battery life will be cut in half. I overclocked the vbios a little more and i get like 30 mins from full charge till the computer shuts down from no battery life.

Is everyone who recently purchased this laptop comfortable with voiding their warranty? Isn't the lemon law supposed to protect consumers from this sort of irresponsibility on the part of Sager/Clevo? It seems like Clevo is ultimately not addressing the issue, I'm not even sure that Sager or any other company produces their own custom vBIOS for Clevo laptops.

"MOST" re-seller don't care if you use a Mod, they even support and encourage the use of Mods, though Sager hasn't joined the club yet...

If you cut the re-seller out and use Clevo's service centers directly they always except the Notebook, they just go by serial number, unless you fry stuff yourself of course. We have even a few tech guys working for Clevo direclty over in the Chinese Forums who are using my Mods on their own systems. ;)

theyre not going to fix it, its going to have to be up to us to do the fix. Its too much work for them and im sure they dont want to accept responsibilty for the error.

im just glad that we figured out that svl7's vbios fixes the issue. but be warned, when you have these vbios which are overclocked. your battery life will be cut in half. I overclocked the vbios a little more and i get like 30 mins from full charge till the computer shuts down from no battery life.

XoticPC has a ticket open on my behalf with Sager, and they asked for me to upload a video showing the problem for "comparison". Still waiting to hear back on it. I was however able to obtain svl7's bios and performed the flash myself. And sure enough it does fix all issue, but also noticed that the fans ramp up pretty loud just sitting at the desktop. Is there a way of controlling/changing the fan profile with a utility like MSI Afterburner? (I tried afterburner but it doesn't even report fans let alone allow custom fan profile).

Strange that you only get 1/2 hour from your battery. Is that gaming time or just desktop time? I do get just under 2 hours of battery even with svl7's bios but that's when working on the desktop (app, internet, email, etc). Normally I don't game on battery anyways since I set up my power profile to max performance when plugged in and power savings when on battery.

I'm still on the verge of getting this laptop through XoticPC, however, has anyone purchased a (Clevo-based) laptop from HIDEvolution? My thought is that I would get this laptop, flash the vBIOS myself (voiding the warranty) and get something like a three-year insurance policy (possibly with the Worth Ave Group) on the laptop since it's a lot of money to risk if any parts break which are no longer covered by the Sager warranty. Any thoughts on this approach?

UPDATE

Just got an update from XoticPC support:

Sager says they are working with Clevo on a new vbios or driver to address this. If you don’t hear back from me within 24-48 hours, please send me another email so I can resubmit the request.

So something is supposedly in the works... :ops:

@stealthmaster - I just say flash your vbios and then flash back to factory before sending in for warranty work if the something goes bad during warranty period.

UPDATE

Just got an update from XoticPC support:

So something is supposedly in the works... :ops:

@stealthmaster - I just say flash your vbios and then flash back to factory before sending in for warranty work if the something goes bad during warranty period.

It's interesting how I just e-mailed XoticPC and the sales person who responded seemed entirely oblivious to the issue. I think that Sager can tell if you've reflashed your vBIOS from the original vBIOS given what I was reading elsewhere (as far as making it look like I never voided the warranty). Plus, if the card actually fries, or the motherboard for example, I'd have no way of flashing it (which would probably be the first thing to ever break). I'm excited to hear what they have to say nonetheless.

It's interesting how I just e-mailed XoticPC and the sales person who responded seemed entirely oblivious to the issue. I think that Sager can tell if you've reflashed your vBIOS from the original vBIOS given what I was reading elsewhere (as far as making it look like I never voided the warranty). Plus, if the card actually fries, or the motherboard for example, I'd have no way of flashing it (which would probably be the first thing to ever break). I'm excited to hear what they have to say nonetheless.

There is nothing like a 'leftover' that can show what vBIOS had been flashed previously... ;)

If you fry your card while using a different vBIOS they won't make themselves the work to revive it just to prove what was flashed or not, they just sent it back themselves, after all they are not the manufacturer.

Hi Guys ... I received my np9380-s from xotic pc last weekend ... and yesterday I turned the 120 Hz in sli mode while playing crysis 3 and started getting flickering problems. Searching over internet brought me over this website and I am glad that we have a proven fix for the problem. However because of restriction on minimum number of posts I was not able to test the fix. I will probably go ahead and flash the vbios once I get to the minimum number of posts ... however I wanted to share that in the interim I tried something which helped me ... I went ahead and press fn + 1 to switch fans to max speed and it helped me. I continued playing for next 2 hours and did not find that issue to reappear.

Just wanted to share my results with everyone ... not sure if it helps but maybe people like me who are waiting to reach to minimum number of posts can see if it helps them or not.

Also I will submit a request ticket with xotic pc to increase the count to existing number of voices for the issue.